Thread: Cheesebox Canyon

Cheesebox Canyon

On August 21st, 2016, Tony ( @Absolute Gravity ), Levi ( @levifackrell ) and I swam and swam and swam and swam, through Cheesebox Canyon.

I have never seen so much water in a canyon. Not even close.

The water temperature was not too bad, maybe in the 50-60 degree range. However, I've lost 20 lbs since the last time my 3/2 wetsuit has seen a canyon, so my wetsuit held a LOT of unwelcome water. Also, Tony accidentally brought his 7mm wetsuit, so he soon discovered he only needed the bottom half of it to survive. Much suffering and laughter ensued due to our wardrobe malfunctions.

We spent at least 4 hours swimming. Two of the swims seemed endless; we estimated each to be about 200 yards long. There were also many narrow hallways that we had to swim through, they were spooky but awesome. Unfortunately, my camera would have done little justice in those hallways. Those parts would have been best captured on a GoPro (next time!).

No doubt, this is the best Cedar Mesa canyon that I've done. A top-shelf classic. If there is a better canyon in that area, I'd love to know about it.

Bob

-

We saw some rope grooves at the first drop. If you go, please don't leave more. Here is a spot that everyone can easily downclimb, it just takes a moment to find it.
    Name:  P1040342.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  P1040345.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  P1040347.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  P1040348.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  169.7 KB

Name:  P1040355.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  196.7 KB

Name:  P1040358.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  178.7 KB

A radioactive Cheesebox, just for fun.

Name:  P1040361.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  242.0 KB

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...ox-canyon.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Been awhile since I did cheesebox but it held a lot of water.
    A favorite, in the area for sure.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

If there is a better canyon in that area, I'd love to know about it.

Cheesebox, Gravel, and Black Hole are the three best canyons in that area, so you have seen the top three in the area now. As for which one is #1 of the 3, that would be a matter of debate and personal preference.

Short Canyon is another very good short canyon.

I really like Cowboy, but some other people don't.

Fry is OK.

Horse Tanks, Little Horse Tanks, Hideout, K &L, Fortknocker, and Deer are just OK and not as good as the above.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    What about the other fork of Cheesebox?

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    The East Fork is pretty good, but the slot is shorter than the one in the west Fork, thus the West Fork is better. The East Fork does have a couple of neat ruins though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Cheesebox, Gravel, and Black Hole are the three best canyons in that area, so you have seen the top three in the area now. As for which one is #1 of the 3, that would be a matter of debate and personal preference.

Short Canyon is another very good short canyon.

I really like Cowboy, but some other people don't.

Fry is OK.

Horse Tanks, Little Horse Tanks, Hideout, K &L, Fortknocker, and Deer are just OK and not as good as the above.
    Good to know, thanks @Scott P . Cowboy is on the to-do-list. We were planning on Short Canyon last weekend, but the roads were waaay too slow to justify the round trip from camp (between Cheese and Gravel). I've done Fry and it is fun. Duckett is a fun little slot too.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    I like that idea. A good excuse to go back!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Looks like a fun canyon. I'm jealous I've had 2 trips planned to do this canyon in the past, but the weather has never cooperated. Someday I will do this canyon. Thanks for the trip report.

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Looks like a fun canyon. I'm jealous I've had 2 trips planned to do this canyon in the past, but the weather has never cooperated. Someday I will do this canyon. Thanks for the trip report.
    We were thwarted twice as well, but third time was the charm & it was worth it!

12. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    last photo looks great

14. Likes Slot Machine liked this post