Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Another New Purchase

  1. #1

    Another New Purchase

    My daughter is headed off to med school next month and needs cash so, she's selling her firearms. I just bought her new, never shot Remington 783 in the 30.06 platform. Just for kicks and giggles I'd like to set it up for longer range shooting. For you experienced long range shooters out there, what's the first couple of upgrades you'd make to this rifle? I know the 30.06 isn't the most ideal long range platform but, it is what it is. Thoughts?
    https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...del-783-scoped

    Name:  13920631_1757440944539465_8263204847374517649_n.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  43.8 KB
    Are we there yet?

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    My daughter is also selling her compact concealed carry 9mm handgun if anyone is interested. Sombeach? Springfield XDS. Includes case and accessories. $400. She lives in Ogden.

    Name:  13654336_1757440934539466_2365048143691839865_n.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  81.3 KB
    Are we there yet?

  4. #3
    Bogley BigShot oldno7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Posts
    11,481
    The 22" barrel loses a little in the velocity column.
    The 1:10 twist barrel is good for heavier bullets, which is what you want if shooting LR.
    I've never shot a 783 or been around one.
    I shoot 300 win mag and 300 wtby, in Remington 700 for long range.
    I reload with 215gr. Bergers just shy of 3000fps.

    Long range means different things to different people, I view it at 1000yds. plus.
    It sounds like the 783's have decent accuracy, despite their somewhat crude build.
    IMO, any long range gun needs to shoot sub moa, 1/2 moa is much better.

    Shooting long range is just fun and I'm sure you can put rounds on target, at 1000yds. with your set up.
    Can you do it consistently, will be the question.
    I'm not Spartacus


    Boycotting imlay canyon gear because I value access

    Professional Mangler of Grammar

    Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

    Who Is John Galt?

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    The 1:10 twist barrel is good for heavier bullets, which is what you want if shooting LR.

    Long range means different things to different people, I view it at 1000yds. plus.
    Sorry, I'm new to long range. When you say "Heavier bullets", what grain would you suggest?
    I'm thinking long range for me will be 1,000 yards.
    Are we there yet?

  6. #5
    I probably wouldn't dump a ton of cash/work into your Remington 783. Maybe figure out a low cost trigger job. You'll always be fightin' the basic platform for long range accuracy with that rig.

    You might squeeze something out of it with hand loading, which would transfer to another rifle. A finer piece of glass could be remounted too. But, that'd be all I'd do.

    Do you know how it shoots now, at say, 100yards/100 meters? Print 'er up. At least you'll have a starting point.

    Those rifles are fairly good and priced for what they are. Doubling the cost by floating the barrel, trigger jobs, changing out the barrel, etc, wouldn't be money as well spent as say, buying a 700 action'ed rifle in a more target friendly configuration (and caliber maybe) as a starter. IMHO.

    I have a 700 BDL in 7mm mag with Leupold glass and a fine trigger job that prints tight with hand loads at 200m...rifle was 105 bucks back in the day (yee haa!).

  7. #6
    Bogley BigShot oldno7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Posts
    11,481
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Sorry, I'm new to long range. When you say "Heavier bullets", what grain would you suggest?
    I'm thinking long range for me will be 1,000 yards.
    With 30.06 velocities, I'd look into the 180-190 class bullet.
    Ballistic Coefficient, is everything after say 5-600yds.
    I'm with brian in that I wouldn't put a lot of cash into a lower grade rifle.
    Long range necessities to me are, Action bedding, barrel free floated,clean trigger, bedded one piece scope base, high end scope base, most expensive scope you can afford.
    Then lots of varying rounds down the tube, looking for the sub moa cartridge.
    I'm not Spartacus


    Boycotting imlay canyon gear because I value access

    Professional Mangler of Grammar

    Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

    Who Is John Galt?

  8. #7
    Bogley BigShot oldno7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Posts
    11,481
    precision reloading is another topic all together.
    I'm not Spartacus


    Boycotting imlay canyon gear because I value access

    Professional Mangler of Grammar

    Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

    Who Is John Galt?

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    precision reloading is another topic all together.
    A man's got to have a hobby...

    I was lucky when I was working on loads for my 7mm mag. A friend who liked to long distance shoot had a Meade telescope. You could resolve .22 holes at 300 yards easy. Too funny. Lee Kay has that nice distance...

    Funny...I tracked everything. Neck sized. Powder charges. Different bullets. Weird thing...primers seemed to matter more than anything...I settled in on a benchrest version.

    Yeah...nice glass...

    Fun stuff.

  10. #9
    Bogley BigShot oldno7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Posts
    11,481
    Then you'll need a rangefinder--I use a Leica 1600b, The newer Sig kilo 2000 has been a good performer lately for a bit less money.
    Once you start ranging distance, you'll want a ballistic app. I've been using the one called "shooter" for $10.
    Scopewise, you'll have to choose between mils/moa, I have always used moa and it works for me, those with military background usually lean towards mils.
    You'll end up dialing for windage and elevation, regardless of which reticle type you choose, so make sure your scope has external turrets. You can find decent scopes in the $1000 range, mine exceed that amount.
    You will become a reader of the wind through scope mirage and other indicators.
    Once shooting in the 1000yd neighborhood and beyond, you deal with spin drift and the Coriolis effect as well, these items are calculated in your shooting app.

    my best group at 1000yds was 3.75". That is not typical, I'm usually 8-9" at that distance.
    I've banged steel out to 1760yds but not with the consistency I want, So, I ordered a new Bartlein barrel and a custom reamer for 300 win mag.
    Have the barrel here, waiting to be chambered and threaded, just waiting on my custom reamer.

    So--you can start off cheap but if you enjoy the activity, it doesn't stay that way.
    I'm not Spartacus


    Boycotting imlay canyon gear because I value access

    Professional Mangler of Grammar

    Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

    Who Is John Galt?

  11. #10
    Thanks for all the info, guys! The more I look into it, the more I know you're right- I'm not going to put a lot of cash in this rifle. I wouldn't have even bought it if it weren't to help my daughter out paying for a lot of upfront medical school costs. I may even sell it and use the cash to start building something nice.
    Are we there yet?

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Then you'll need a rangefinder--I use a Leica 1600b, The newer Sig kilo 2000 has been a good performer lately for a bit less money.
    Once you start ranging distance, you'll want a ballistic app. I've been using the one called "shooter" for $10.
    Scopewise, you'll have to choose between mils/moa, I have always used moa and it works for me, those with military background usually lean towards mils.
    Yeah...money pit!

    Have a friend considering a rangefinder. He missed a long shot on an elk last fall when they misjudged the range. Since when he stays at my house (during OR, was just here) he usually drops off some elk steaks, I figure I gotta "steak" in this...ha ha. Used to be a 4-600 yard shot was a bit long for hunting. Now folks dial up and go for it. Wild.

    I've been pretty happy with Leupold for glass. Interesting what your eye likes and doesn't for any distance. My eyes like circles...it seems. I might prefer a target dot to cross hairs. Actually thinking of bumping up to a 3/8" dot for some shooting. Bigger. Would be for shorter range, though. Leupold has so many custom reticle options.

    A boosted 6.5X20 just sold on Ebay for a decent price. Boosted to 14.5X35 (40mm). Thought about it. Bought another pistol scope instead (!). My eyes don't like the irons so much...although peep sights work ok. Interesting that folks have won at distance at Camp Perry with aperature sights...

    What glass do you like?

  13. #12
    Bogley BigShot oldno7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Posts
    11,481
    I'm using Leupold Mk4-8.5-25 on one and a Zeiss HD5 5-25 on the other.
    I like the mk4 better out of the 2.
    If I had more cash, I would venture to a Nightforce ATACR

    My Leupold is a $1600 scope, similar performance to a Nightforce Nxs.
    I'm not Spartacus


    Boycotting imlay canyon gear because I value access

    Professional Mangler of Grammar

    Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

    Who Is John Galt?

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I'm using Leupold Mk4-8.5-25 on one and a Zeiss HD5 5-25 on the other.
    I like the mk4 better out of the 2.
    If I had more cash, I would venture to a Nightforce ATACR
    I have a Mark 4 on my AR. Nice scope. Good glass for the money.

    I see a few of the field target guys with the side focus wheels on their rigs. I have an inexpensive one on an air rifle...neat to dial in the distance. Wouldn't be optimal for super long distance stuff, but, fun to play with.

    The big boyz get a custom rig in a Leupold 35X or so.

    Number of years ago I was on a business trip to Orange County and I stopped by Beeman to look (drool, actually) at their air rifles. They had an "interesting" scope they were working on for the military. Had a huge side wheel on it. Couldn't say who or what it was for. Impressive hardware.

    Schmidt and Bender make a fine piece of glass...

    Yeah, Nightforce...wouldn't turn one down (!).

    Nothing better than a good piece of glass.

  15. #14
    Hunting season is just around the corner. 30-06 become very easy to sell in about another month.

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Hunting season is just around the corner. 30-06 become very easy to sell in about another month.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.
    Are we there yet?

  17. #16
    Sold the 30.06. Just bought the Sig Kilo2000 rangefinder. Should be delivered today. Paid $400 for it from a dealer on the Long Range Shooters of Utah facebook page.
    Are we there yet?

Similar Threads

  1. New Purchase
    By tallsteve in forum Hunting & Shooting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 12:57 PM
  2. [News] Adidas To Purchase Five Ten
    By Don in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 09:19 AM
  3. New purchase!
    By Jaxx in forum Motorcycling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
  4. My new purchase
    By DaveOU812 in forum Motorcycling
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
  5. Something Somebeech needs to purchase for his bike
    By live2ride in forum Mountain Biking & Cycling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •