Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Games Rio 2016

Olympic Games Rio 2016

I'm usually really excited for the Olympics but not so much this year. Rio is such a shit hole, the only redeeming grace is the womenz is HOT! We should be letting them pour across our border.

Your thoughts on the Olympics?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think they should have relocated them last year when the World Cup had so many problems. We could have a very active thread that just lists all the ways these Olympics are going wrong. I feel like safety should be a bigger concern than political correctness but nobody wanted to offend the South Americans for being poor and so the Olympic committee has refused to hold Brazil accountable for their promises and commitments.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Of all the shortcomings for the Rio Games...apparently, this is the worst:

No Pokémon Go in Rio: Athlete says it's the 'worst thing' about Olympics

The game is not yet available in Brazil

Name:  pokemon-go.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  241.5 KB

Pokemon Go

Posted August 1 2016 — 2:46 PM EDT
    Pokémon Go has been released in 30 countries, including the United States, France, and Australia. However, it still isn’t available in Brazil, and some people are quite unhappy about it because the 2016 Summer Olympics begin on Friday in Rio de Janeiro.

Several Olympic athletes who have already arrived in Rio have taken to social media to share their disappointment about not being able to play the Niantic-created game while they compete in what will most likely be the biggest sporting event of their lives.

“Want to know the worst thing about the Olympic village? No @PokemonGoApp. Otherwise, it’s incredible,” tweeted American diver Abby Johnston last week.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/01/pokemon-go-olympics-rio

I feel like safety should be a bigger concern than political correctness but nobody wanted to offend the South Americans for being poor and so the Olympic committee has refused to hold Brazil accountable for their promises and commitments.
    Overall, Rio is not a poor city, especially by world standards.

The big problems with Rio are lax environmental standards/pollution, high crime, corruption, and traffic.

People here like to complain about environmental regulations, but it's better than the alternative.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I have to agree with Scott on this one. I was in Rio 17 years ago, and even then, I wouldn't have gone in the water at any of the beaches in the city. It was nasty.

Also, Guanabara bay where they are doing all of the rowing events and the triathlon swim is the main shipping port for that part of South America. That is not a great place to swim. I remember it being an absolute mess.

Rio is a city with so much potential that is squandered and soaked up by a select few people who are in power while the people rot. It's sad, really. I love that place, and the people there. If there was ever a country in need of an overhaul from the top down, that's one of them.

7. Likes jman liked this post
    The problems in Brazil start and end with corruption. Every other problem -- crime, pollution, etc.-- can be traced back to corruption. Brazil is a wonderful place, a place I served as an LDS missionary many years ago. The people are awesome and the country is loaded with natural resources but the corruption is killing any growth or progress.
    Life is Good

9. Likes DiscGo, gholt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    The problems in Brazil start and end with corruption. Every other problem -- crime, pollution, etc.-- can be traced back to corruption. Brazil is a wonderful place, a place I served as an LDS missionary many years ago. The people are awesome and the country is loaded with natural resources but the corruption is killing any growth or progress.
    I echo and agree with every word of this post.

11. Likes gholt liked this post

13. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    The Brits did quite well. I'm not very interested in sport in general, but I did watch some cycling and gymnastics (my Mother told me when I was a young'un: "Never get involved in a sport that uses a ball")

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    my Mother told me when I was a young'un: "Never get involved in a sport that uses a ball"Rob
    Funny. My mother told me to never get involved with a sport who's winner is determined by a panel of judges!
    Are we there yet?

16. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Funny. My mother told me to never get involved with a sport who's winner is determined by a panel of judges!
    ^^^THIS^^^

That is exactly what I told my kids. I also warned them that team sports have some major pitfalls that are beyond your control, meaning you might be the greatest player of all time and get stuck on a team that sucks.

I wish they would take all the sports that require a judge and toss them out of the Olympics. But that will never happen as they are huge money generators as they bring in the female TV viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

That is exactly what I told my kids. I also warned them that team sports have some major pitfalls that are beyond your control, meaning you might be the greatest player of all time and get stuck on a team that sucks.

I wish they would take all the sports that require a judge and toss them out of the Olympics. But that will never happen as they are huge money generators as they bring in the female TV viewers.
    Yep, and is women's gymnastics really a "sport" or a performing art?
    Are we there yet?

The Brits did quite well. I'm not very interested in sport in general, but I did watch some cycling and gymnastics (my Mother told me when I was a young'un: "Never get involved in a sport that uses a ball")
    GBR...yep, noticed that myself. I bet they'd win the ratio of medals to population (most for the least). Except maybe Jamaica...

If we are breaking it down by population than the Pac 12 rules.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Yep, and is women's gymnastics really a "sport" or a performing art?

Don't even get mye started on "Twirling a ribbon tied to a stick". How in the hell is that an Olympic sport?

And in the equestrian events why doesn't the horse get the medal as he is doing all the work. And talk about a sport for the 1%, those horses cost over a million dollars.

OK, so why in the pentathlon (and other events) is there shooting? Shooting is a skill, as is twirling a baton.

It opens up a discussion about what is a "sport", an "art" and a "skill". The Olympics seem to encompass all of these, and is that a Bad Thing?

Rob

p.s. My own definition of a "sport" is one where either physical exertion or breaking into a sweat is involved. Or both.

OK, so why in the pentathlon (and other events) is there shooting? Shooting is a skill, as is twirling a baton.
    You must have missed the part about an actual scoring process that doesn't involve judging.

Shooting has a defined scoring system, while ribbon on a stick requires a judge.

Now this has a clear winner and loser, no judge required.

This does not...

24. Likes tallsteve liked this post

It opens up a discussion about what is a "sport", an "art" and a "skill". The Olympics seem to encompass all of these, and is that a Bad Thing?

Rob

p.s. My own definition of a "sport" is one where either physical exertion or breaking into a sweat is involved. Or both.
    My definition it can't be a sport of you can be better at it when you are drunk, so this excludes bowling

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    My definition it can't be a sport of you can be better at it when you are drunk, so this excludes bowling

And Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post

The police* seem to uphold that definition. That brings us right back to shooting.

Rob

* Note I do not define the police of any particular country