Thread: Mt Ogden Peak from Ogden Side (29th Street Trailhead)

Mt Ogden Peak from Ogden Side (29th Street Trailhead)

My 11 year old and I took on Mt. Ogden Peak today from 29th street.

We started from the trailhead at the top of 29th street at 7:50am, July 30, 2016.

Summary
    Total trip time: 8 hours, 18 minutes
    Total climbing/hiking time (minus lunch and water filter breaks): 7 hours, 7 minutes
    Malan's Peak is 6890ft
    Mt Ogden is 9570ft
    9.8 miles round trip

Trip Intervals:
    Trailhead to hogsback ridge - 7:50 - 8:37am - 47 minutes
    Hogsback ridge to Malan's Peak - 8:37 - 9:15am - 38 minutes
    Malan's Peak to Malan's Basin - 9:15 - 9:51am - 36 minutes
    Water filtering and break - 25 minutes
    Malan's Basin to Mt Ogden Summit - 10:16 - 12:42pm - 2 hours, 26 minutes
    Lunch - 31 minutes
    Mt Ogden Summit to Malan's Basin - 1:13 - 2:20pm - 1 hour, 7 minutes
    Water filtering break - 15 minutes
    Malan's Basin to Malan's Peak - 2:42 - 3:06pm - 24 minutes
    Malan's Peak to Hogsback ridge- 3:06 - 3:27 - 21 minutes
    Hogsback ridge to Kristin Spring - 3:27 - 3:36 - 9 minutes
    Kristin Spring to 29th Street Trailhead - 3:36 - 4:08pm - 32 minutes

Lessons Learned
    Rattlesnakes on the trail. We didn't see one, but got a warning from another hiker that did. Take a water filter. Best place to fill up is Malan's Basin both ways. Nice little water stream on the south side. Wear pants, bushwhacking required. Take a trekking pole, many unstable steps required. Other lessons recorded in trail log.

Trail Log
    Starting at 29th street trailhead, we headed up Taylor's canyon. The trail is marked well enough. You can get to the same place from the top of 27th street and head into Taylors canyon. Both trails meet up at a bridge just inside the canyon.
    Name:  20160730_074910.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  63.3 KB

Follow the main canyon bottom trail up to the first bridge, cross to the north, continue up to the next bridge. There is a marker indicating Malan's Peak and Kristin Spring on the south of the bridge and the first switch back going up the mountain. Not long up the trail are three unmarked trails to the right. If you want to get a drink at Kristin's spring, take the second one and the spring is only one minute away. Then you can resume back up the original trail towards Hogsback Ridge (i don't think that is the official name, but is what many in my circles reference it as). It is the first look out point on the trip.
    Name:  20160730_083437.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  93.1 KB

Turn around and keep heading up the main trail towards Malan's Peak. There just a few switch backs which are on a good trail and are moderately steep. Malan's Peak is actually a look out point on a prominent ridge line.
    Name:  20160730_091352.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  63.3 KB

Facing the opposite direction as the look out on Malan's Peak continues the trail. There is an obscure trail in the middle that goes up, that is not the right one. The more defined one on the right (south) is the right one. That trail descends down towards Malan's Basin. It is a nice trail which you should enjoy as it is the end of nice trails on the journey. You will come out at the basin and immediately see a sign for Malan's Basin.
    Name:  20160730_094034.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  128.8 KB

From here, the trail gets tricky. This is a good spot to take a break, filter some water from the creak on the south side. In general, the best defined trail on the left (if you are standing at the sign) is the wrong one. There is a bear box on that trail which will tell you which one it is. All the trails straight ahead of the sign basically go the right direction (up towards Mt Ogden Peak). Taking any of them will send you in the right direction, but the one that is best is the one to the right (south). You can see in the pic below where it starts. You have to bushwhack for about 8 feet and you come into another camp area, then the trail continues on. You can see where my son is entering.
    Name:  20160730_100031.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  112.6 KB

For the next several hundred yards, you are going to hit and miss on the trail. You'll lose it in some spots and perhaps find another as there are a few going up. In general, you are ok if you keep heading up the along the creak. There is some bushwhacking along the way. You will also see pink ties on trees indicating what someone figured was the best path up. We got off the trail probably 6 times, just kept going up along the creek and would find the trail again. You may have to cross over the creek a few times on the way. Given it was the end of July for us, the creek dried up about half way up. At this point, we stepped into the dry creek bed and used it as a trail almost all the way up to the peak. Note, there are likely rattlesnakes under rocks. Once you climb up far enough, you will start to see the summit (with the cell towers). Just keep going up the creek bed. You may be tempted to head straight to the peak, but it is steeper than it looks. We found it best to head to the saddle on the ridge line that is south of the peak (looks like a green meadow saddle). Once we got up there, we ran right into the Snow Basin trail that goes straight to the peak.
    Name:  IMG_20160730_180436.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  80.2 KB

On the way down, we followed the same path. Again, we lost the trail several times before Malan's Basin, but just kept going down and ran into the basin. The rest of the reverse was as expected.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, whansen, Scott P liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Sweet! Thanks for the TR.

I have been wanting to do this for a while and have looked at a few blogs about it, but that's some good information right here.
    I appreciate the detailed time log too. I do that for all of my hiking, just so I can keep up my pace for return trips.

Those pictures (attachments) don't show up though. It says it is an "invalid link" on my side. Perhaps @Sombeech would know what's going on?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Hi @shaye it looks like the attachments may have been removed for some reason. If you've got these photos on facebook, you can just copy and paste them in a browser, and as long as they are public, everybody will see them.

I've been slacking on my own troubleshooting lately, my attachments are all loading at a small size and I haven't had time to figure it out, so I've just been loading them on Google Photos and just copy & pasting them over here. I don't even need to grab the link if it's on a computer, I just right click the picture, copy, and paste right into my thread. Of course, the permissions on those need to be public as well. In fact, I need to do a quick write up from last weekend at Bear Lake.

Thanks

How's that for the pics? Having all kinds or issues with the image insert, but was able to get those on there with the "manage attachments" tool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shaye View Post
    How's that for the pics? Having all kinds or issues with the image insert, but was able to get those on there with the "manage attachments" tool.
    Much better!

It shows on my side now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Cool! For future reference, I hate our "insert attachments" tool as well, and I prefer to use the "Insert Image" button. It's faster and less complicated.Name:  insert1.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  insert2.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  40.3 KB