Thread: Bull Valley Gorge invite - and recent conditions?

Bull Valley Gorge invite - and recent conditions?

Would any intermediate canyoneers like to join myself and a friend going down Bull Valley Gorge on Oct 5 if no rain is forecast.
    We've heard it can just be one or 2 short easyish rope-assisted downclimbs/rappels, but the canyon can change as it gets big floods and others say big trapped trees and chockstones could provide some nasty surprises. Although my friend has reasonable rappeling experience, although from some years ago, I will only have done it a few times, so it would be good to have someone confident in case of unexpected nasty surprises. (I'm less worried though about the rappels than the climbing and getting stuck between a nasty climb up a huge chockstone and a rap behind us).

Has anyone been recently? I know floods could change things yet, but would be good to know conditions?
    Anyone interested, I've heard it can be dry, probably is muddy, and could have some cold wades and possibly even a short cold swim

Lastly I don't really want to hike all 15 miles round to Willis Creek, which I've seen, but I've heard there are exits to Bull Valleys' rim before Sheep Creek. Are these just tough scrambles or difficult climbs and exposed and anyone know how far along and if obvious ?

I will probably ask again about conditions and partners mid-Sept. Thanks in advance

2. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by kaniukr View Post
    Would any intermediate canyoneers like to join myself and a friend going down Bull Valley Gorge on Oct 5 if no rain is forecast.
    We've heard it can just be one or 2 short easyish rope-assisted downclimbs/rappels, but the canyon can change as it gets big floods and others say big trapped trees and chockstones could provide some nasty surprises. Although my friend has reasonable rappeling experience, although from some years ago, I will only have done it a few times, so it would be good to have someone confident in case of unexpected nasty surprises. (I'm less worried though about the rappels than the climbing and getting stuck between a nasty climb up a huge chockstone and a rap behind us).

Has anyone been recently? I know floods could change things yet, but would be good to know conditions?
    Anyone interested, I've heard it can be dry, probably is muddy, and could have some cold wades and possibly even a short cold swim

Lastly I don't really want to hike all 15 miles round to Willis Creek, which I've seen, but I've heard there are exits to Bull Valleys' rim before Sheep Creek. Are these just tough scrambles or difficult climbs and exposed and anyone know how far along and if obvious ?
    I went through last year-

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...l-Valley-Gorge

Bull Valley Gorge is easy. There is one short drop that can be downclimbed when dry, but should be rappelled when muddy, because the mud is of the slick-clay type. The rest of the gorge is easy. Trapped between a rappel and a boulder or logjam? Yeah, don't worry about that, getting trapped would be next to impossible in there.

The exit is also very easy to find and easy to climb out of. It is the first possible escape on the right. Use the maps on Ryan's website- http://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/uta...nte/bullvalley

I think the loop took me about 2.5 hours. It is a cool little canyon. Have fun!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Thanks. I enjoyed reading your Bull Valley TR and the comments. i had seen ryan's report but what may be an easy exit to a climber, can appear daunting for a non-climber, but having your second opinion gives me confidence it sounds like a steep scramble with no exposed bits and easy to find. One report also spoke of an easy exit about 4 milles down too which I might head for knowing I could back up to your one. Sheep Creek by all accounts sounds a bit of a boring slog through sound

Anyone been down Bull Valley in the last couple of weeks and know how much water is in there? I know it could change still between now and Oct 5 but hopefully there won't be too much more heavy rain

Anyone been down Bull Valley in the last couple of weeks and know how much water is in there? I know it could change still between now and Oct 5 but hopefully there won't be too much more heavy rain
    BVG is very short, and isn't built to hold water, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Looking at the recent rainfall totals I'd bet it is bone dry.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/RFC_Precip/

Getting stuck out there in the rain is a real concern because the roads become muddy and impassible. Be sure to check the forecast before you go.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

9. Likes Wes1 liked this post
    On September 12th there was a little bit of mud and 1 knee deep pool

I will probably ask again about conditions and partners mid-Sept. Thanks in advance

Thanks for opening your trip up to partners! If I had joined this awesome community earlier I would be there!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk