Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Nano 9mm vs Glock 26 vs Ruger LC9

Beretta Nano 9mm vs Glock 26 vs Ruger LC9

I'm looking for a new pocket carry 9mm and I think I've decided on the Beretta Nano.

In a close 2nd place I've been considering the Glock 26, and then Ruger LC9 in third.

Any experience with these? I've heard the Ruger is the least accurate of the 3, with Glock the most accurate.

My first concern is carrying it my pocket like I did my 380, which is really convenient. I also don't want a profile outline on my pockets, and I want it to not catch on anything if I need to pull it fast. The Nano seemed to be the best option for this. The Glock 26 is double stacked so it can hold more ammo, but hey if you can't get the job done in 6......

Which models do you have?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think accuracy is shooter specific. I can't hit anything with a Glock. I think it's because of the more swept back hand-grip they utilize in the majority of their handguns. It works well for some, not for others. I've heard the same thing from other shooters. I'd shoot all 3 before deciding. The gun shop I bought my S&W at had every model I was interested in buying available to shoot in their range beforehand. It helped with my decision. Just out of curiosity, why a pocket carry size vs. a compact in a CC inside the waistband holster?
    Are we there yet?

When I look at my concealed carry I look for mainly one thing. Profile. A concealed carry gun, if you ever must use, you will most likely be at EXTREMELY close range 10-30 feet & will only need a couple of shots. If your guns profile is to big or flashy most likely you won't carry it because it will irritate your hip, cause discomfort, or you will end up open carrying because it shows to much. Now days there are a ton of low profile guns that are all accurate & comfortable in your hand. I personally like the Springfield XDS 9mm. The gun can run a little pricier than others, but I have found that the profile is very low making it ideal for concealment. The gun feels good in your hand & I have found to be extremely reliable & accurate.

Any gun with a double stack mag is going to have a larger profile/thickness which will result in discomfort & make it hard to conceal. Yes you'll have more ammo but if the gun doesn't sit right you will not carry it. I also feel that any caliber over 9mm is much for a concealed gun. Either the fire power will want to jump the gun out of your hands, or you will have to have a bigger profile. This is the reason I don't like the XDS45. Great gun, but gun wants to jump from your hand.

What about a Glock 43?

I shoot my Glocks surprisingly well, given I never preferred that trigger pull.

For size/power ratio, I still like the small 5-shot .357/38's. Ruger Sp101 has enough mass not to bite too hard. My M&P hurts. 38's only for that rig.

Size/weight:

Name:  sp101.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  M&P 360.jpg
Views: 2221
Size:  53.1 KB

Cheers!

I prefer Glocks. I would recommend nite sights with whatever you choose. Worth the extra money IMHO.

Don't go cheap...nothing worse than saving a hundred bucks only to hate shooting it and it sit in the safe unused.

Have you considered a Sigarms?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

I use a keltec 380 ACP with a small extended magazine for one more finger grip. Not great for plinking but awesome for concealed. Lightweight and very small

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why a pocket carry size vs. a compact in a CC inside the waistband holster?
    Thanks for the feedback everybody. To be honest I've never worn a waistband holster, I just assume the pocket carry would be more comfortable. But, I assume the waistband holster just adds a notch to the belt, is that right? Do you happen to have a picture of yours and how it fits?

I'll start with the caveat that I've never carried in a pocket so, not sure how that would feel. I do like having the larger size handgun vs. the pocket carry size. The inside-the-waistband holster I use is so comfortable I don't realize it's even there anymore. After researching a lot, I went with the Stealth Gear USA brand. No breaking in period, it doesn't make you sweat anymore when it's hot out, highly rated and made right here in American Fork. I position mine at the 4-5 o'clock position. I did have to buy new pants- one waist-size bigger. http://stealthgearusa.com/shop/holsters

Name:  CCarry.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  41.1 KBName:  Frontside.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  51.8 KBName:  Backside.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  70.1 KB
    Are we there yet?

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Sombeech liked this post
    Of those, I'd go glock. But when I made the decision myself, I went Kahr CM9. My friend chose the Ruger. Beretta, seems to be a bit more finicky in feeding and ejecting than the Glock or Kahr.

Good info! Thanks guys.

I think I'm still set on the Beretta Nano just because of overall size if I carry in my front pocket. But @tallsteve has me considering the waistband holster now, and that would reset my decision making. Now that I think of it, both of my front pockets are generally full of stuff, as I carry my wallet up front too. Maybe this holster thing is the way to go. Then I may reconsider the Glock with the double stacked ammo with the fatter grip.

Don't discount the single-stack concealed carry guns out there, too. Single-stacks are thinner (easier to conceal and carry). My S&W Shield 9mm is under an inch thick and still holds 8 rounds- 9 if you have 1 in the chamber.
    Are we there yet?

Yeah if I end up going with the waistband holster, it will probably reset my whole decision making process. At first I wanted small profile 9mm just because of front pocket carrying, but the more I think of it, my pockets are already full of stuff.

I think I'm going to have to start over with my selection process. It's good though.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1471132525616.jpg
Views: 3196
Size:  54.7 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1471132535418.jpg
Views: 2116
Size:  48.7 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1471132544095.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  54.9 KB

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just took the Concealed Carry Permit class last night at Impact Guns in Ogden. $40 for the class, and then the state stuff costs $37 now, so less expensive than when I first got my permit (and let it lapse because I was lazy).

It's a 4 hour class, covers a ton of info, they fingerprint you, take your picture and give you everything you need to apply, including the envelope.

So now I'm back on this discussion, and from this thread I'm looking at either the S & W Shield 9mm like @tallsteve or the Springfield XDS 9mm like @dakotabelliston

I think I'll stick with a single stack. Thanks for the feedback again.

Nice. After buying my Shield in 2015, I've noticed guys seem to be really snobbish about their choice of handguns. Maybe it's a justification for buying what they did (my gun is the best- period! Everything else is crap!). I find it quite funny. There's a lot of good stuff out there. For me it came down to which compact (compact being the operative word as I want to carry it EVERYWHERE), every day carry gun fit my ginormous hands the best. After trying out a bunch of them, the Shield with the extended magazine just fit my hands the best. My 2nd choice would have been the Sig variant. I liked the Springfield XDS but, again, it just didn't feel as good in my hand as the Shield. I tried the Glock but I can't hit anything with them. Their handle is clocked different and, for me, it just doesn't work. Try a bunch and see what feels and shoots the best for you.
    Are we there yet?

If you go concealed holster carry, I still highly recommend the StealthGearUSA one. I just ordered another one 2 days ago actually. I'm getting a Crimson Trace laser added on my Stealth and needed a holster to fit the add-on. Once you settle on your handgun, get a holster ordered pronto. StealthGear is about 25 days out.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Nice. After buying my Shield in 2015, I've noticed guys seem to be really snobbish about their choice of handguns. Maybe it's a justification for buying what they did (my gun is the best- period! Everything else is crap!). I find it quite funny.
    What's really "funny" is how little most gun buyers actually know about firearms (that goes for gun dealers, too).

Anyone with a opinion about a firearm should be able to back it up with legitimate pros and cons, as every firearm has both.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    What's really "funny" is how little most gun buyers actually know about firearms (that goes for gun dealers, too).

Anyone with a opinion about a firearm should be able to back it up with legitimate pros and cons, as every firearm has both.
    You are absolutely right. Admittedly, I was quite naive when I went into it in 2015. I had never owned a handgun or even shot one much, nor did I have any friends who concealed carried. When I decided I was going to get into it, I studied and researched everything I could find (still do!). Fortunately, I found a gun dealer who was REALLY patient and spent probably 4 hours with me finding the right gun that worked best for me. I'm still learning and studying, watching lots of videos about technique, etc., and I shoot it a couple of times a month and practice drawing and dry fire exercises a couple times a week. I'm getting there but, I still consider myself a newb.
    Are we there yet?

I haven't shot that specific XD. I've shot the Shield. The Shield just felt off in my hand. That's entirely subjective and about my hand, not the gun itself so much. I didn't care for the trigger too much either. My friend is pretty good with it.

I've shot XD in larger calibers and frames and liked them quite well.

Which means my input isn't particularly valuable. I don't think either are poor designs or have any terrible failing. Try them on the range and see what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    I didn't care for the trigger too much either. My friend is pretty good with it.
    I installed an Apex trigger in my Shield a few months ago. Big improvement.
    Are we there yet?