Thread: Pine Creek slot canyon (entrance) erosion handout

Blog Entries

Pine Creek slot canyon (entrance) erosion handout

TRs seem to be lacking for mid-summer here , so I'll post something that I came across the other day...

For an upcoming Zion trip this weekend, I printed out some express permits and while doing so I came across a link on the "Zion Wilderness Brouchers" page. It was called the "Wilderness Desk Handouts" page.

I have NOT seen these brochures at the Backcountry desk ever, but thought these might be a good thing to pass along, especially to "trip leaders".

The 3 applicable for Canyoneering are:

Pine Creek slot canyon erosion handout (Direct link)

Keyhole slot canyon erosion handout (Direct link)

Spry Canyon erosion handout (Direct link)

Hopefully, MOST canyoneers have been aware of the Spry exit changes (IE down the watercourse instead of the sand slope), and hopefully most people NOW take the correct path to Keyhole (a change that started in 2005 by the Zion Canyoneering Coalition), but I haven't seen a lot of canyoneers take the "correct" ingress for Pinecreek (myself included).

Well, now I know, and will take the correct path this time. Good for you if you are! I wasn't aware of the "correct" path until just yesterday even though I have been through Pinecreek 10+ times...

The path I have always taken was about 20 feet to the south of this one. (And while 20 ft may seem insignificant to a lot of people, it's more about having an "established route" that is respected, especially in the N.P.)

Anyway, here is the infographic from the PDF.

Name:  PC.JPG
Views: 590
Size:  111.3 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They have little signs at the pinecreek TH that say no hiking. I think most people over look these and assume they are for non permit holders. When in fact they are for us :) If people follow the no hiking signs & look for the correct path that doesn't have a sign then they should be good.

Thank you for sharing. I was unaware of the keyhole changes.

4. Likes jman liked this post
    Maybe they should just install some bolts in the bridge and rap into the canyon

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Maybe they should just install some bolts in the bridge and rap into the canyon
    I know I would if that was an option!!!

Jman, thanks for posting these. Note: the Keyhole brochure has dated info, identifying the 1st rappel anchor in lower Keyhole as the Ponderosa Pine. The first rappel is now normally done from a bolted anchor on canyon left, where lower Keyhole slots up.

8. Likes moab mark liked this post