Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Powell - Annies Canyon

Lake Powell - Annies Canyon

Last week when we were at lake powell we took a side trip down Annies Canyon. I noticed a couple of slot canyons dropping into the lake that looked like they had been descended. I'm curious if anyone knows of either of these canyons and if they are actually canyoneering routes?

The 1st canyon was down the left fork of Annies canyon. It looked like there were rope groves coming from the canyon. It was about 20 feet above the water level so we could not get up into it to explore. The 2nd canyon was down the main fork of Annies canyon. There was a small canyon about 150 feet above water level that looked like there was webbing & bolts set up for the rappel.

While i'm at it does anyone know any technical canyons that drop into north lake powell that are accessible by boat? We got down twice a year & I think it would be cool to find a route that rappels in to the lake :)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

@dakotabelliston

Man, I love threads like this.

The Annie's are both canyoneering routes. I would very much like to do these, if you are looking for a partner.

Also in the area are The Edens and Middle Crystal Springs. If you haven't downloaded The Map to Google Earth, please take a moment to do so. It is easier to use than the web-based version, then you can see what I'm talking about.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Be careful though. The Annies are considered to be difficult.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes bhalvers2002, dakotabelliston liked this post
    I've done one of the Annies canyons, It was a long difficult day. Lots of Potholes. I was following others, so I am not going to even attempt to give any route info or beta as I was just along for the ride and have no idea which fork we even did. It was a fun day, but it kicked my trash. The last drop was approx. 140' straight into the lake off of bolts (probably the ones you were looking at from the bottom).

On the same trip we did some on the north end, all from boat access. Great stuff, but the lake routes are not a walk in the park. Every one that we did had serious obstacles in them.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

9. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    As bolts are illegal in GCNRA, several in those canyons have been removed by myself and others. Be careful.

Technically, slings are actually illegal as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thank you all for the responses. Sounds like I need to do some research and find some beta for these northern lake powell routes to spice up my powell adventures. I was trying to find easy access to the top of these canyoneering routes but ran out of time with the family eager to get going.
    @slotmachine I would love to go hit up some of these canyons maybe later in the year when it's not ridiculously hot (September/October). I do not have my own boat access through so that would need to be worked out & you would need a willing person to babysit the boat & play shuttle.
    @Canyonbug it sounds like you ran the main canyon (on my picture Slot2) which has a awesome free hanging rappel ~ 150 feet pending on water levels. I sure hope those bolts do not get removed because looking from the bottom it looks like there is nothing to rap off & not a lot of material to work from. I like the idea of more challenging if you have a strong group & bring the right stuff & go prepared.

13. Likes bhalvers2002, Slot Machine liked this post
    Slot machine thank you for the map link. That has both of these canyons on their & much much more !!! Super awesome !!!

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Sounds like I need to do some research and find some beta for these northern lake powell routes to spice up my powell adventures.
    There isn't much beta available, at least not online. If you want to do many of the canyons, it is likely that many will have to be done without beta.

@Canyonbug it sounds like you ran the main canyon (on my picture Slot2) which has a awesome free hanging rappel ~ 150 feet pending on water levels. I sure hope those bolts do not get removed because looking from the bottom it looks like there is nothing to rap off & not a lot of material to work from. I like the idea of more challenging if you have a strong group & bring the right stuff & go prepared.
    The main canyon is non technical. I believe that it is the north fork that is being referred to.

17. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. Sounds like I need to do some research and find some beta for these northern lake powell routes to spice up my powell adventures. I was trying to find easy access to the top of these canyoneering routes but ran out of time with the family eager to get going.
    @slotmachine I would love to go hit up some of these canyons maybe later in the year when it's not ridiculously hot (September/October). I do not have my own boat access through so that would need to be worked out & you would need a willing person to babysit the boat & play shuttle.
    There isn't really any beta to search out. The best way is to go with people who are familiar with the canyons.

Powell zone has many extraordinarily difficult canyons. Be careful.

19. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Everyone keeps saying, "Be careful."

With the Annies, what kind of careful are we talking about? High stemming kind of careful? Big pothole kind of careful? Over or under 200 foot rappel careful? Water anchor careful? Or just SandTrap kind of careful?

Is it the kind of place a skilled group with a rim team could just figure out?

I have so. Many. Questions.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Those loops don't look that bad. Maybe the potholes within are bad, but the approach for each looks easy.

North Fork: 2.93 miles
    South Fork: 2.19 miles

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 10.41.01 PM.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  104.2 KB

If you want to play along at home, download the attached KML files, then open them in Google Earth.

Once installed, right click on each route. Then you can see the elevation profiles. Rad!

North Fork Annie's.kml

South Fork Annie's.kml

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

With the Annies, what kind of careful are we talking about? High stemming kind of careful? Big pothole kind of careful? Over or under 200 foot rappel careful? Water anchor careful? Or just SandTrap kind of careful?

Bob, that's the spirit of Powell canyons and what many of us regulars try to preserve. It's about the mystery of the unknown. By keeping this stuff unpublished, others have the opportunity to explore without being denied that thrill.

Without being specific, the gradient created by the river channel is unique in Glen canyon and while there is much variety to be found, X stemming and potholes that can literally stop unprepared groups can come out of nowhere. With bolting (and as Scott pointed out, even webbing) being illegal, you must be a master of ghosting to do these canyons in the purest style. Again, what many of the Powell pioneers hope to preserve and pass on as an heritage of exploration. Long may it ever be so.

23. Likes harness man, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Slot Machine nice work !!!! Love it. You guys are much more computer savy then I am lol. I'm more of a brute (which is a strength & weakness).

I think my biggest hold back is having access to a boat to use at my convenience lol. Slot machine if you decide to run this in late September/October let me know (I'm swamped until then). I would love to try and tag along. If nothing else I will be the pack mule lol.

Bootboy your from Ogden it says. I would love to jump in with you guys sometime (I live in Spanish fork) if you ever have room.

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Bob, that's the spirit of Powell canyons and what many of us regulars try to preserve. It's about the mystery of the unknown. By keeping this stuff unpublished, others have the opportunity to explore without being denied that thrill.
    Taylor, canyons don't have spirits, silly. It is public land, and all canyoneers are free to play on that land how they like, within the limits of the law.

Denying people the thrill is a victim mentality, but nobody is actually a victim. If I go and do, then publish or share, nobody had actually been denied anything, so there is no victim.

Also, nobody is forced to read canyon beta. For example, today I could go and do the Annies, then publish them. Later, you might go and do the Annies without reading my publication. Is your experience not exactly the same as before my publication?

The premise of ‘saving canyons for others to explore’ certainly sounds plausible when you preach it, but it doesn't pass the logic litmus test. Sorry.

27. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

All of the above.

T

29. Likes dakotabelliston, harness man, Scott P liked this post

More specifically -

A. A rim team is not possible.

B. There is high stemming at the R+ X- level.

C. There is a section of very difficult potholes. MANY potholes. Difficult anchors. Might require WaterPockets.

D. The last rappel on the north can be 300 feet or longer, and requires some savvy to figure out the anchor.

E. Lots of SandTrapping.

F. Long

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    More specifically -

A. A rim team is not possible.

B. There is high stemming at the R+ X- level.

C. There is a section of very difficult potholes. MANY potholes. Difficult anchors. Might require WaterPockets.

D. The last rappel on the north can be 300 feet or longer, and requires some savvy to figure out the anchor.

E. Lots of SandTrapping.

F. Long

Tom
    *stares at screen, absolutely amazed*

Thank you for sharing, Tom. You must be in a very good mood today.

32. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    *stares at screen, absolutely amazed*

Thank you for sharing, Tom. You must be in a very good mood today.
    You're a father now. I don't want to see you killed.

Hey guys, specifically @dakotabelliston and @slotmachine . I searched and couldn't find any updates on if you did the two forks already. I was looking up Annie's canyons because today we just explored the south fork from the lake up. With the higher water level we were able to jump right into the first (last) pothole from the boat. We made it up a couple more potholes using potshots. There was some good ol' Powell style canyon, and some medium height (25') stemming. From Google Earth it looks like we made it about half way up before we turned around because we didn't want others in the boat waiting too long. Have you guys already done these routes? I would be very interested in doing them with you and can provide a boat. As far as a shuttle goes we could anchor the boat at one and drop a kayak at the other to retrieve the boat. Let me know if you still want to do them. I understand this thread is a year old and you have likely already done them. Thanks!

35. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post