Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Powell - Annies Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Canyoneer View Post
    Hey guys, specifically @dakotabelliston and @slotmachine . I searched and couldn't find any updates on if you did the two forks already. I was looking up Annie's canyons because today we just explored the south fork from the lake up. With the higher water level we were able to jump right into the first (last) pothole from the boat. We made it up a couple more potholes using potshots. There was some good ol' Powell style canyon, and some medium height (25') stemming. From Google Earth it looks like we made it about half way up before we turned around because we didn't want others in the boat waiting too long. Have you guys already done these routes? I would be very interested in doing them with you and can provide a boat. As far as a shuttle goes we could anchor the boat at one and drop a kayak at the other to retrieve the boat. Let me know if you still want to do them. I understand this thread is a year old and you have likely already done them. Thanks!
    When I was there the canyon lip was 15 ft above the water. Glad to hear the water is higher.

I have not done either of them. I don't have any experience with Sandtrap anchors or water pocket anchors so I X'd the idea. With a strong team it would be awesome to give them a go but my scheduling at the moment is awful. I recently started a new job & we just had a new baby.

If you plan a trip, the invite is much appreciated, but unsure if I'll be able to make it in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey guys, specifically @dakotabelliston and @slotmachine . I searched and couldn't find any updates on if you did the two forks already. I was looking up Annie's canyons because today we just explored the south fork from the lake up. With the higher water level we were able to jump right into the first (last) pothole from the boat. We made it up a couple more potholes using potshots. There was some good ol' Powell style canyon, and some medium height (25') stemming. From Google Earth it looks like we made it about half way up before we turned around because we didn't want others in the boat waiting too long. Have you guys already done these routes? I would be very interested in doing them with you and can provide a boat. As far as a shuttle goes we could anchor the boat at one and drop a kayak at the other to retrieve the boat. Let me know if you still want to do them. I understand this thread is a year old and you have likely already done them. Thanks!
    Hit me up if you're looking for more specific information - I've done the south fork of Annie's many times. Haven't done the north fork, but I will be heading down to Powell in a couple weeks and will be doing it then. Having talked with those that have done it, the north fork presents some difficult stemming and anchor challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    I would be very interested in doing them with you and can provide a boat.
    I'd be interested and have basic beta.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by cjhaines0 View Post
    Hit me up if you're looking for more specific information - I've done the south fork of Annie's many times. Haven't done the north fork, but I will be heading down to Powell in a couple weeks and will be doing it then. Having talked with those that have done it, the north fork presents some difficult stemming and anchor challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    North Fork is the real deal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"north fork is the real deal"
    @MOabmark....do tell...you can't just be all mysterious like that!

10. Likes cjhaines0 liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    More specifically -

A. A rim team is not possible.

B. There is high stemming at the R+ X- level.

C. There is a section of very difficult potholes. MANY potholes. Difficult anchors. Might require WaterPockets.

D. The last rappel on the north can be 300 feet or longer, and requires some savvy to figure out the anchor.

E. Lots of SandTrapping.

F. Long

Tom
    What I said.

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    What I said.

T
    Yes what Tom said.

The farthest north is the best.

Ha ha, ok. Got it. So next step is figuring out how other people have successfully made their water pockets. Time for some research! Boy am I going to be sad if I don't need one for this canyon

Ha ha, ok. Got it. So next step is figuring out how other people have successfully made their water pockets. Time for some research! Boy am I going to be sad if I don't need one for this canyon
    I've been thru 4 times and have never needed a waterpocket. There is only one spot where it could be needed. If that pothole was full you'd have to get very creative. Hint: for that one you need to know how to hang your sandtrap on the wall of the pot. Every time I've been the water is about chest deep with about 5 or 6 ft of wall you've got to ascend to get out.
    I had a video on bogley showing most all of the obstacles but YouTube killed it due to music violations. I can't find it now.

It was called pothole escapes on moabmark12. If u can outsmart YouTube it's all there for the viewing.

So next step is figuring out how other people have successfully made their water pockets.
    Sneak route:

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...-2#post-105843

Here's a couple of pictures.

19. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55004

I'm not responsible if you die doing this, but if you take one or two Tom's big backpacks and put to big dry bags in them that are full of water you can rappel off of them. Use the shoulder straps handle etc to attach rope. Tie ropes to bottom of each backpack to invert them to get the water out. Obviously you need to leave the tops of the dry bags open. It is very sketchy but does work.

22. Likes cjhaines0 liked this post
    Or you could invite someone who has one.

24. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Hint: for that one you need to know how to hang your sandtrap on the wall of the pot.
    I had a video on bogley showing most all of the obstacles but YouTube killed it due to music violations
    Thank you Mark for the information. That stemming looks fun! I'd swear that was Glaucoma if the walls were smoother. I am not smarter than youtube so I couldn't see it, but I understood your description pretty well. If it isn't a hassle to email me the video, I would really appreciate it! If it's a pain, no worries! I just appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Sneak route:
    Thanks Hank!

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I'm not responsible if you die doing this, but...
    Ha ha, I'm not that kind of guy. I fully understand that the safety and myself and those under my lead are completely my responsibility, and that it is my job to be familiar, have practice with, and judge the reliability of any gear or method that I choose to use.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Or you could invite someone who has one.
    Consider yourself invited @TommyBoy ! I would love to learn from someone with water pocket experience, and 'in canyon' especially! Plus it is always great to meet fellow fanatics.
    Thanks for the offer and when I get the details figured out I would love to have you along! It will likely be around september 16th or 23rd. expect a PM when I get things sorted. Thanks again!

26. Likes dakotabelliston, TommyBoy liked this post
    I'm looking forward to it, I work every other weekend and the 16th will be my weekend off so if you can plan it around that I will for sure be in. If not I can trade weekends, but the closer it gets the harder it is to convince someone, and if you need any help filling slots I'm sure I could find a few people that would be interested.

The only copy I have is on youtube.

29. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post

Lake Powell - Annies Canyon

31. Likes Bootboy liked this post