Thread: Fat Mans

Fat Mans

Someone posted this on FB:

I was just told of a rock fall in Fat Mans misery. The Boulder that was the last rappel before the Grotto has fallen. There are a lot of unstable rocks and the rappel will most likely be over fifty feet now. Please make sure if you or anyone you know is doing fat man's misery they are aware of this new issue!​​
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. Likes jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pictures?

Next person through... I'd love to see recent pictures of the last last rappel.

Thanks

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing Scott. This is Shirlz, Not Tom... I am the one that posted on FB
    Someone called Canyoneering USA to report the rock fall so we could update the website. I asked him to post a current trip report about what happened here. I hope he will soon.

Apparently he was setting the last rappel before the grotto when they heard rocks rumbling loudly below and they all ran away up canyon. One guy almost got hit with a Jeep sized boulder. All the rocks in that area are unstable and more were falling on Saturday as they hiked out. Luckily they were uninjured and were able to find a way out of the canyon.

The did notify the Zion back country desk who said they will notify the BLM. Tom will update his website when he returns to the office...

6. Likes jman, dakotabelliston liked this post
    I wonder if these events are related in any way?

Name:  Fat Mans.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  87.0 KB

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I wonder if these events are related in any way?
    I don't think so as the rescue involved hikers doing The Barracks and had nothing to do with Fat Mans.

I don't think so as the rescue involved hikers doing The Barracks and had nothing to do with Fat Mans.
    Apparently they were trying to do Fat Man's, but dropped into the wrong canyon and ended up at the top of a 400 foot drop.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.