Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imlay Canyon - Sneak Route

Imlay Canyon - Sneak Route

Is it better to drive a Ferrari, or to simply dream about it?

The dream of doing Imlay had been in my mind for so long that it seemed unlikely to live up to the hype. Dark, cold, and dangerous, with 27 rappels… gosh, it seemed intimidating. Finally, on July 3rd, 2016, Steph, Meg, Christian, Cole and I got to see what this canyon was all about.

The thing was, it wasn’t difficult or scary at all. It was just fun.

Dare I say, it was… easy.

I wish I had a better story to tell about this storied canyon. Steph hooked out of two potholes. We boosted her out of another pothole that was a bit tough. Other than that, we simply rapped, splashed and jumped, over and over, until we found ourselves standing (and grinning) in The Narrows.

To drive the Ferrari was good, but to dream about it was better. Perhaps I should be thankful that I dreamed about it for so long.

Bob

Right Sneak, early in the morning.
    Name:  P1030982-2.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  128.2 KB

Log soup, early in the morning.
    Name:  P1030985.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  176.1 KB

Christian and Cole.
    Name:  P1030986-2.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  116.4 KB

Steph, doing the hooking.
    Name:  P1030996-2.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  40.8 KB

Cole and Meg.

Name:  P1040004-2.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  86.3 KB

Steph.
    Name:  P1040012-2.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  104.3 KB

Meg.
    Name:  P1040032-2.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  144.1 KB

Steph, Christian, me and Meg.

Name:  P1040039-2.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  148.4 KB

Me and Steph.
    Name:  P1040042-2.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  99.8 KB

Me.

Name:  P1040050-2.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  143.8 KB

Meg.
    Name:  P1040061-2.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  127.5 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just imagine what it would be like for the first group through that didn't have all those nice bolts already in place, and no hook holes drilled, glad you finally got to see it.

4. Likes harness man, Slot Machine liked this post
    Great post!
    Is that someone STANDING in the 'BIG BERTHA' pothole while you are hooking out?
    that sucker was bottomless when we were there...

Thanks!

Yes, I'm standing on the up canyon side. The downcanyon side was a swimmer. I've seen many photos of that pothole, read many stories about people struggling there, so I was surprised how easy it was. Our lucky day, I guess.

7. Likes harness man liked this post
    I'm heading to Zion this weekend to go run FULL IMLAY 2 days. When I ran this canyon before it was chuck full and everything was a swimmer. I hooked out of probably 4 potholes (could have partnered or pack tossed but hooking was easier). Part of me is hoping the canyon will be full again this weekend, and the other part of me is hoping the canyon will be half full with lots of struggles in order to advance my canyoneering techniques and confidence.

Thank you for the great report !!! Looks like a great time. Next time you should run it in 2 days. The upper canyon is not as cool, but it's still a incredible section.

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Slot Machine-
    Thanks for posting!
    With such a strong group, you might really appreciate the FULL Imlay (in a day).
    Then you can crank that Ferrari to over 40 rappels....
    Best
    Todd

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I'm heading to Zion this weekend to go run FULL IMLAY 2 days. When I ran this canyon before it was chuck full and everything was a swimmer. I hooked out of probably 4 potholes (could have partnered or pack tossed but hooking was easier). Part of me is hoping the canyon will be full again this weekend, and the other part of me is hoping the canyon will be half full with lots of struggles in order to advance my canyoneering techniques and confidence.

Thank you for the great report !!! Looks like a great time. Next time you should run it in 2 days. The upper canyon is not as cool, but it's still a incredible section.
    @dakotabelliston Unless it rains hard down there between now and when you go expect very low water conditions. The storm on the 3rd (I think thats when it was) filled in the sneak a little below the crossroads, but it certainly didn't flash the canyon, most of the canyon was still pretty low water.

13. Likes 2065toyota liked this post

Thanks for the kind words!

Next time, we plan to do Full Imlay in a day. Can't wait!

Have a great weekend @dakotabelliston

Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    Slot Machine-
    Thanks for posting!
    With such a strong group, you might really appreciate the FULL Imlay (in a day).
    Then you can crank that Ferrari to over 40 rappels....
    Best
    Todd
    @harness man , sounds fun! I'm leaning towards trying a CRITR 2 on my next lap. I'm not digging the single strand 8.3 on the Pirana.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

15. Likes dakotabelliston, harness man liked this post
    Have you looked at the ATS ? My group is split with half of us loving the critr & the other half loving the ATS. I personally like the ATS due to the fact that I can turn it sideways & run it double strand just like a ATC where as the critr only has 1 slot for running it like this. This allows me to run smoothly double strand or single strand with more than enough friction for a bigger guy like myself around 200-215 pounds.

I will say though I also go with the ATS because I get it through one of my connections at wholesale price ;)

17. Likes bhalvers2002 liked this post
    Have you looked at the ATS ? My group is split with half of us loving the critr & the other half loving the ATS. I personally like the ATS due to the fact that I can turn it sideways & run it double strand just like a ATC where as the critr only has 1 slot for running it like this. This allows me to run smoothly double strand or single strand with more than enough friction for a bigger guy like myself around 200-215 pounds.

I will say though I also go with the ATS because I get it through one of my connections at wholesale price ;)
    My buddy had an ATS flip and stop on the gate of his biner. If the gate broke, then it would have been BAD. I lost interest in the ATS at that moment, and so did he. I haven't seen him us an ATS since.

Seems like there was a thread on this issue...? Maybe on Summitpost?

Has anyone had this issue with a CRITR?

19. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I never saw that. I have not had any issues with my ATS. In fact getting my Bineer in the device is super snug keeping it from going anywhere. I will have to watch out for that as I'm rappelling this week.

What thickness of suits did you guys take through imlay? And were you warm or cold? Driving down tonight :)

I wore a 4/3 and was just fine. Steph wore a 7mm, but she has no body fat. I think everyone else wore 5mm suits.

I don't think the water is warm enough right now for a 3/2. You'd live, but you would suffer.

Have fun!

22. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Hi Folks
    I guess this is our cue to insert a (shameless) CRITR plug!
    Desi and I started out on the ATS (before inventing the CRITR) and found it to be a good device....but here are the things we did NOT like about it.
    In the often sandy Zion canyons the ATS wore really fast, and it twisted the rope really badly when rapping single line.
    We had a couple canyons where everyone had ATS's and the rope kept turning into a big rats nest at the bottom.
    On long drops there was no easy way to very friction while rappelling- I tried hooking the rope over the top arm as the instructions show, but that
    would either bring me to a halt, or pop off the little top hook (and scare the heck out of me!)
    The CRITR is symmetrical and designed to flip over which doubles it's life span in sandy conditions.
    The architecture of the CRITR minimizes rope twist and there are secure, multiple options for adding friction on the fly.
    In addition the CRITR is very easy and secure to lock-off.
    I think both devices are an improvement over the Pirana which has REALLY low friction.
    Hope that sheds some light.
    Best
    Todd

24. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I guess this is our cue to insert a (shameless) CRITR plug!
    How dare you hijack my trip report, Todd!

I'd be so upset, except that I ordered a CRITR2 yesterday. Now I'm REALLY excited to try it!

26. Likes dakotabelliston, harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    ...I ordered a CRITR2 yesterday. Now I'm REALLY excited to try it!
    Great strategy for ATC: The Everlast Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    My buddy had an ATS flip and stop on the gate of his biner. If the gate broke, then it would have been BAD. I lost interest in the ATS at that moment, and so did he. I haven't seen him us an ATS since.

Seems like there was a thread on this issue...? Maybe on Summitpost?

Has anyone had this issue with a CRITR?
    This issue sounds interesting, but not sure I understand what it is - would you provide a more detailed description and/or pictures of what ATS "flip" looks like?

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

hank

29. Likes dakotabelliston, harness man liked this post
    Ive never had any issues with an ATS. The only way it could flip if it was rigged backwards or wrong. It is a good device and I carry one as a backup. I prefer the CRITR myself.

31. Likes dakotabelliston, harness man liked this post
    SORRY SLOT MACHINE
    for jacking your thread

And thanks for your business!
    I really hope Hank will NOT post that pic of me with the dollar signs for eyeballs...

33. Likes jman, hank moon liked this post
    I really hope Hank will NOT post that pic of me with the dollar signs for eyeballs...
    https://youtu.be/sPMKlEwrIs8

I know how you love it!

Attachment 84454

35. Likes harness man, dakotabelliston liked this post
    SORRY SLOT MACHINE
    for jacking your thread And thanks for your business!
    @harness man I was totally kidding! Hope that came across.

Hank, ATS, not ATC. It slipped up the biner and pried the gate. But it was enough to freak both of us out.

I can't find the specific ATS related thread. But the content looked something like this:

http://theuiaa.org/upload_area/files...e-of-eight.pdf

Does the ATS slide easily? I've never used one.

37. Likes harness man liked this post