Thread: Echo Canyon - Keeper Mode

Echo Canyon - Keeper Mode

On July 4th, 2016, Steph, Meg, Christian, Cole and I headed through Echo Canyon.

Steph and I had done this canyon before, back in 2011. It was one of our first technical canyoneering adventures. Man, it seemed difficult back then. We didn't bring enough neoprene and paid the price. We didn't know how to downclimb anything, so it took all day.

This time, it felt like a different canyon. Easy. Short. Almost not worth the hike up.

Good thing there was a spicy new obstacle to make things interesting. Unfortunately, Christian and Cole defeated it before I could even get a peek. How did they do it? Christian held onto the right side of the exit lip with his right hand while assisting Cole with his left hand. They did not use a pack toss, just they just climbed it. Nobody touched the bottom of the pothole, that sucker is deep.

Here is a short clip of Christian helping Steph out of the pothole:

Name:  P1040070-2.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  P1040071-2.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  123.7 KB

Christian, about to exit the keeper.

Name:  P1040073-2.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  117.8 KB

All in all, it was a great way to spend Independence Day.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks, now I don't feel bad about cancelling our reservation for 19th.

My small group of noobs and I are going to play in Keyhole that day instead as none of them have ever been through it and save Echo for another day.

Thanks for the TR and great video of the crux.

That's not a new obstacle, it's been there forever :-) Often there is a log stuck in the crack that makes it easy. There is no obstacle in Echo that should ever be a problem for two people to defeat, that includes two noobs . A solo noob could run into difficulty.

5. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Often there is a log stuck in the crack that makes it easy.
    But there isn't a log there now, making it less easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    There is no obstacle in Echo that should ever be a problem for two people to defeat, that includes two noobs . A solo noob could run into difficulty.
    It is not possible to climb that lip solo, nor was is it an easy place to assist from. Cole said throwing a pack up was pretty easy (which he did, but didn't use). Throwing the pack should be the go-to move, for now.

The last photo is telling; Christian is 6'1", a climber, but he laughed as he made an attempt to climb it. Not even close.

So, as the water gets lower, until one can touch the bottom, it will get progressively harder to throw a pack out of the pothole. I'm very curious to see what people will report during the next couple of months.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

7. Likes harness man liked this post
    Apparently Echo got missed by the rains. A lot of other canyons in the area were full.

That's not a new obstacle, it's been there forever :-) Often there is a log stuck in the crack that makes it easy. There is no obstacle in Echo that should ever be a problem for two people to defeat, that includes two noobs . A solo noob could run into difficulty.
    I have only done Echo twice (once recently), so I don't have much of my own experience to compare it to, but those who do Echo frequently have said that the pothole is more difficult right now than it has been in many years. Apparently the pothole has been scoured out a few feet deeper and the walls have been scoured smoother.

My son and I had no major problems, but two noobs can have problems.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes harness man liked this post
    I think the log actually made it harder because it was in a really awkward place. Simple pack toss for solo defeat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just went through today, not sure how long it will stay there, but someone left some webbing attached to a chockstone hanging back into the pothole so it was an easy escape.

12. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Just went through today, not sure how long it will stay there, but someone left some webbing attached to a chockstone hanging back into the pothole so it was an easy escape.
    Boo! We have a few hours to burn next Sunday before driving back to SLC and are considering Echo. If we do it definitely won't be there Monday morning.

14. Likes TommyBoy, harness man liked this post
    The water looks a 1 - 2 feet lower right now then when I ran it earlier this season. That pothole wasn't to bad & actually has a great spot for a little pack toss. We used a slug method or maybe the beached whale lol.

I feel bad for the guy who cancelled echo next week and is running Keyhole. I really hope you have more on your to do list then just keyhole. Otherwise your kind of wasting your trip lol. Echo is a great canyon & can add a little team building experience. Hope your trip goes great !!!