Thread: Goldilocks conditions...Kolob Creek June 17, 2016

Goldilocks conditions...Kolob Creek June 17, 2016

<font color="#141414"><span style="font-family: Tahoma">

Our group of 3 were favored with ideal conditions through Kolob Creek. This was our second trip for Brett and myself, while our good friend Gordon has been through numerous times. I have just a handful of "class C" experiences and I would say this was about right. Gordon did this canyon back in the late 1990s in a group of 6 as part of SAR training and he believes they went through about 9-10 CFS. He commented that was certainly the upper range of the comfort zone.

As always, Kolob is special, especially because the windows of opportunity can be limited.

This day, we had nice flow of 3-4 CFS, cold (but not killer cold) water and ambient temperatures whether in the depths of the canyon, plodding down the creek or powering up the MIA exit that made it a "no feel the weather day." Don't recall any wind which can change the experience. Two of us in 5/4 wetsuits, 5mm socks and gloves and one in a drysuit were quite comfortable. We moved at a solid pace, took more pictures than normal, but otherwise didn't stop much. This challenge of the whole trip can never be underestimated. It is always a LONG day and the hike out is a price to pay with wet ropes and suits, but I love it anyway.

Even the perfect trip has something happen. The most challenging moment was just prior to lift off --Brett's trunk stuck closed with all our gear securely out of reach. After some prying, wedging and disconfiguring of the back seat we were able to release a latch from inside the trunk and get on our way. Never a dull moment.

Magical day. I will let the video and pictures say the rest.

Attached Images Attached Images               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks incredible !!! Every time I try to go hit Kolob we get stumped with poor conditions. Great pictures !