Thread: North Wash - Leprechaun etc

North Wash - Leprechaun etc

I have not done a lot of canyoneering in North Wash yet. I am wanting to go run a couple canyons on my way to lake powell this upcoming weekend.

What's your thoughts on Middle Leprechaun? I am 6'1" & 200 lbs. I was able to fit through Egypt 3 with a little squeezing at points. I want to complete the middle fork & was curious if anyone has any thoughts? A couple years ago I did the right fork, and we hiked up the left fork about 200 feet before turning around, not due to being skinny, but it was loaded with spiders. Massive daddy long legs in swarms all over the walls. We cried like little girls while pushing & shoving each other out of the way. Also if I were to due the middle fork is there a way to exit if things get to skinny? It feels like when we did the right fork you could slab climb out of most things.

Thank you for the response. Hoping to go down this upcoming weekend 07/01/2016.

If you don't think I would fit would you please recommend some other canyons in the area? Thank you !!!

I was also looking at Blarney Canyons or the Hogs. Like I said I have not really done any canyoneering in North Wash except Fry Canyon, Right Fork, White Canyon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I have not done a lot of canyoneering in North Wash yet. I am wanting to go run a couple canyons on my way to lake powell this upcoming weekend.

What's your thoughts on Middle Leprechaun? I am 6'1" & 200 lbs. I was able to fit through Egypt 3 with a little squeezing at points. I want to complete the middle fork & was curious if anyone has any thoughts? A couple years ago I did the right fork, and we hiked up the left fork about 200 feet before turning around, not due to being skinny, but it was loaded with spiders. Massive daddy long legs in swarms all over the walls. We cried like little girls while pushing & shoving each other out of the way. Also if I were to due the middle fork is there a way to exit if things get to skinny? It feels like when we did the right fork you could slab climb out of most things.

Thank you for the response. Hoping to go down this upcoming weekend 07/01/2016.

If you don't think I would fit would you please recommend some other canyons in the area? Thank you !!!

I was also looking at Blarney Canyons or the Hogs. Like I said I have not really done any canyoneering in North Wash except Fry Canyon, Right Fork, White Canyon.
    Hey Dakota. If you fit through the tight bottom section of E3 then you should fit through Middle Lep. You might have to stem over one very short section, but it is pretty easy. The dark section toward the bottom (Belfast Boulevard) will probably be full of spiders again.

If things get too skinny, plan to stem over the top, but don't plan to climb out of the side. Planning to escape out of the side isn't really a plan at all, it's more of a sign that you should pick a different canyon. I'm not talking down, it's just true. Generally when you are ready for a canyon you don't plan to escape out of the side.

Also, this time of year the heat is SERIOUS. It can kill you. Bring 4+ liters of water per person. Get a pre sunrise start. Plan short days that don't challenge the afternoon heat.

Blarneys are OK with an early start. Stay away from the Hogs until fall, because the exit will roast you alive (ask me how I know).

Hope this helps.

-Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

4. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    If you don't think I would fit would you please recommend some other canyons in the area?
    I can only think of three canyons in the North Wash area that I would consider right now.

1. Black Hole
    2. Lower Maidenwater
    3. Crescent Creek

All of the above are good summer canyons. Anything else in North Wash sounds absolutely miserable. July is probably the worst time to go to North Wash.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

6. Likes burley, Slot Machine liked this post
    Thank you both for the responses. I think for middle leprechaun maybe take a blow torch with me and do some spider roasting lol. Those things are thick & intense. I'm going to drag my brother and wife with me. My wife won't do anything with water (ughhhh) so that is why I am looking for some dry canyons. I know it's going to be hot & that's why I'm looking for some short canyons that are dry that I can run maybe late Friday evening & early Saturday morning.

I took my wife through the Black hole last year & I got in big trouble. She hated the water & turned my trip into.... well not so fun lol.

What about running Morocco this time of year?

Hopefully the next time I hit up North Wash will be in Winter :)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Big person Leprechaun trip report: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...nyon-feb-2005/

you would do well to do East Lep first, to assess for yourself, and climb UP the Middle lep to also assess. As a bigger person you will need to struggle more, and part of that is the heat is not amenable to struggling. I would advise against. It certainly would not be a pleasant little romp.

I suggest Hogwarts. Nice rappels. There is water, but you don't go in (and it is dry by now). Kinda faces north. But the hike up could be brutal, so, early morning start?

Tom

9. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I'm going to drag my brother and wife with me. My wife won't do anything with water (ughhhh) so that is why I am looking for some dry canyons
    I would seriously consider going a different time of year then.

You could also do something at a higher altitude. Something like Bull Valley Gorge or Willis Creek, for example, may be warm, but nothing like North Wash.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

11. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Thank you Tom !!! I will look in to Hogwarts a little bit more. Didn't even think of that one. I'll look into those as well Scott. Thank you guys !!!

Forget Friday night! Nothing is on the menu in that kind of heat. We did Chambers one afternoon in July. 100 degree start and finish. We each sweat 6 liters over 3 hours. It was horrible. Please don't be foolish like us and repeat that.

Saturday- Hogwarts and Morocco are good choices. Get up at 5AM, Get to the top by 6:30. Then they *might* be fun.

14. Likes dakotabelliston, darhawk liked this post
    Does you wife only dislike swimming or all water? Lower Maidenwater usually only has knee deep water in a few places; the rest is ankle deep. Same with Crescent Creek. Also consider Sulphur Creek in Capitol Reef. The water is only ankle to knee deep most of the time. It is an excellent summer canyon.

Also, beware of the biting gnats in North Wash. They might still be around.

16. Likes jman, darhawk liked this post
    What everyone else said! Do not play in the desert in July! Go to Zion, swim in Lake Foul, stay in the Wasatch or similar and enjoy high elevation adventures without snow. This is a good way to turn your friends from canyoneering forever.

18. Likes burley liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I took my wife through the Black hole last year & I got in big trouble. She hated the water & turned my trip into.... well not so fun lol.
    I know I'm beating a dead horse here, and I don't know your wife, and this is just a hunch, but it is possible that if you take her canyoneering in 100 degree heat while she's being eaten alive by gnats and deer flies, you may be in just as much trouble as you were when you took her in the Black Hole.

The only people you want to take to North Wash in July are whom you want to have a distaste for canyoneering so they won't ask to go next time.

20. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Lots of good points made. I'm just eager to get out canyoneering again (Probably a little to much). I was just hoping to squeeze out a canyon on my way to Lake Powell. We are going to lake Powell for a week (house boat with some AC) & wanting to knock off a canyon on my way. I'll talk to my wife & let her know its going to be a hot day. I brought up Hogwarts to her & she became thrilled She's a big harry potter fan lol. We shall see. I may bag the whole idea after all the insight. If I do go, at most, we will get down late Friday night, run a canyon super early, & then proceed to lake powell.

@ Scott - I might just have to remember that. I have a waiting list of people always wanting to go canyoneering with me. A lot that I don't want to burden myself with the trouble of taking down. But a day in North wash in july...... might be the ticket to getting them off my back lol. I should say that my wife hates MOST water. We shall see.

Thank you ALL so much for the input !!!

Hmmm.... you want to knock off a fun little canyon on the way to Lake Powell in July....

....has Zero Gravity been mentioned? It usually has enough water to make July days tolerable with an early start. YMMV

23. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Hasn't been mentioned. Looks like another canyon to look into . Thank you !!!

Zero G beta here: http://climb-utah.com/SRS/zero.htm

There is no need for wetsuits in July or August.

And if your wife hates The Black Hole I feel sorry for you as that route is extremely high on just about everyone's canyoneering list I know. It easily makes my top five.

We ran the Black Hole 2 years ago. That's probably the biggest reason she hates water lol. We did it in the middle of summer & it was filled with long long swims. She's not a strong swimmer & gets cold easily. It was a incredible day for all of us, except for her. I would love to go down & run the Black Hole again.

You will fit just fine. I did those when I was 210 lbs. But remind me why you are doing NW canyons in the summer??? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Hahah I can't picture you being that fat ever. We are heading down to lake powell for the week & I have been looking into hitting a canyon on the way. Double up on my trip. We shall see though. The wife is on the fence.