Thread: The Kolob Tragedy (book)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

The Kolob Tragedy (book)

Just out...

The Kolob Tragedy
    The Lost Tale of a Canyoneering Calamity

by Noel DeNevers

In July 1993, five teenage boys and three men on an LDS youth group attempted a canyoneering trip in Kolob Creek of Zion National Park. The upstream Kolob Reservoir was releasing a ton per second of water through the canyon. Though this flow surprised them at the canyon's entrance, the leader believed that the park's rangers had assured them that their trip was safe, so they continued. Two of the adult leaders quickly drowned; the remaining man and five boys were trapped in the canyon for five days until the Park Service rescued them.

This book tells the story of the group's tragic adventure and explores its damage suit against the National Park Service and the Washington County Water Conservancy District (owner of the reservoir). The reader is invited to consider who was to blame for this tragedy: was it an "Act of God"; or negligence on the part of the Park Service and the Water District; or poor judgment on the part of the trip's leaders? The case settled out of court for $2.24 million, raising another question: was the amount of money that changed hands appropriate?

128 pages including maps and photos.
    ISBN 978-0-9789614-4-2
    Published by CanyoneeringUSA Press June 18, 2016

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.co...The-Kolob-Tragedy/p/67744064/category=2490806

2. Likes harness man, Sombeech, 2065toyota liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Same Noel de Nevers as the ChE professor at the U of U? Did he work some fluid mechanics into the story?

I already ordered the book, but I am curious. What is the object that the jumper is holding?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I already ordered the book, but I am curious. What is the object that the jumper is holding?
    Maybe a bag of some sort, like a first-aid kit for the kid he is jumping to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It's a cooking pot set. Apparently it wouldn't fit in the backpack.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Same Noel de Nevers as the ChE professor at the U of U? Did he work some fluid mechanics into the story?
    He is an expert expert-witness. And a canyoneer, so he was retained as an expert witness by the defense for a few weeks.

No turbulent flow analysis in this version.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Im sure it's a Dutch oven. Handy to have around on a canyon bivy.

11. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    He is an expert expert-witness. And a canyoneer, so he was retained as an expert witness by the defense for a few weeks.

No turbulent flow analysis in this version.
    Fun...many moons ago...ate dinner with he and Clancy at their house. Good times.

Whens the book signing?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Fun...many moons ago...ate dinner with he and Clancy at their house. Good times.

Whens the book signing?
    Only one scheduled so far: Jun 30th at Out N Back in Orem.

T

14. Likes ScottM liked this post
    I'm interested if anyone has input on exactly how they died in the canyon? I've heard a couple rumors but have never really looked more into it. Seams the consensus was they rappelled into water that had a undercurrent from the high flow of the water, resulting in them being pulled under and drowining? Any response appreciated.

Obviously I will have to read this book to find out more in depth details. Thanks for sharing this !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I'm interested if anyone has input on exactly how they died in the canyon? I've heard a couple rumors but have never really looked more into it. Seams the consensus was they rappelled into water that had a undercurrent from the high flow of the water, resulting in them being pulled under and drowining? Any response appreciated.

Obviously I will have to read this book to find out more in depth details. Thanks for sharing this !!!
    The more immediate cause of death was that they rappelled into a resurgence, and hit their heads, which results in drowning. Two separate incidents at separate places; same result.

One reason helmets are a really good idea when doing technical stuff around water.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I'm interested if anyone has input on exactly how they died in the canyon? I've heard a couple rumors but have never really looked more into it.
    I have spoken with all the scouts involved, several of the SAR team members and the helicopter crew that pulled the scouts out. Bottom line they died by drowning caused by jumping into a swirling pool of water they could not escape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

First Book Reading: Out N Back in Orem, 7 pm

http://www.meetup.com/Out-N-Back-Eve...nts/232071887/

Thank you for the response !!!