Thread: Online Wilderness Permits for Zion

Online Wilderness Permits for Zion

Has anyone registered for the online wilderness permits at Zion to avoid having to go by the desk? (It sure would help me out as a Louisiana traveler who flies into Vegas as an extra hop and drives up for quick in and outs. . .)

1. What is the cost? It isn't on the website, just that you will get your registration fees for the online service back in your permit fees.

2. Will you have to print out your permitting information or do you just get a permanent tag for your car and a screenshot for your phone or something? (Say I'm car camping with a hotspot or mifi the night(s) before but no printer access.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The rules could have change since I last registered for online permits... but the way it worked was you stop by the visitor center, watch a short video, fill out some paper work and receive a username and password that allows you to obtain your permit and print it out from any computer. The online registration is good for three years and than you must renew it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4. Likes Glenn liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The rules could have change since I last registered for online permits... but the way it worked was you stop by the visitor center, watch a short video, fill out some paper work and receive a username and password that allows you to obtain your permit and print it out from any computer. The online registration is good for three years and than you must renew it.

Thanks!

Hmm. . .so, are there any internet cafes or business centers with printers in Hurricane, La Verkin or Springdale?

Quote Originally Posted by Amperage View Post
    Thanks!

Hmm. . .so, are there any internet cafes or business centers with printers in Hurricane, La Verkin or Springdale?
    Most hotels will have some computer/printing access in their lobby or nearby.

It seems you're asking about the "Zion Express Member" program. Just a couple things to keep in mind: Being a member allows you to print your own backcountry permit (which has been converted from a reservation) without going into the visitor center. It does not, however, work for same day or next day permits. You still have to go into the v.c. for those.

8. Likes Scott P liked this post
    This is true, but that doesn't help much if I'm camping. . .but I discovered that there actually is an internet cafe in Springdale that is attached to a hotel, so it's a good thought. Still, that puts me having to go into Springdale, even if I don't need to for anything else. Nothing that I can find in Hurricane or LaVerkin, not even a UPS store, but I found that there are a couple of UPS stores in St. George. The upshot is that I will have to exercise good planning :).

Of course, I also Airbnb a bit, and then the hosts should be able to print out passes for me, so long as I ask nicely and politely and it doesn't put them in a bind. (And as backup, that place in Springdale!)

Thanks! I am definitely getting the express pass.

Zion and their dumbass permit system. Now you know why I seldom visit Zion anymore, and when I do why I seldom bother with a permit.

11. Likes uintafly, Bootboy liked this post
    I guess if I lived out there and wanted to visit the park every other week or so, I'd get frustrated with the permit system, too. But that's why the Zion Express system was introduced, right?

I've only had to get permits twice and both times were fine. I wish I'd gone back at the end of my last trip and gotten the Express permit, but next time.

What's most folks beef with the system?

13. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    In order to get your "Zion Express" you have to go in to the visitor center & ask them about it. They have 2 short videos you must watch (about 5 minutes a piece). After watching the videos they will issue you a login & so forth. The membership is good for 3 years I believe. After 3 years you have to go back into the visitor center & re-do it or ask them to renew your membership.

This works great if your using the advanced lottery or are able to reserve your permit online in advance. It will allow you to print your permit 72 hours in advance. I have asked Zion about using my phone to take pictures of my permit & they told me that it would be accepted, they would advise against it in the case that your phone breaks or battery dies. If you do not have a printed permit you also will not have the slip you are supposed to leave on your car ( though I don't think this really matters unless you get in a emergency situation ).

Though I would not advise going against the permit system & breaking it, I will personally say that over the past 5 years I have only been checked twice. Once in pinecreek, and the other while hiking out the narrows. I have researched penalties for doing a canyon without a permit & I learned the following: They could potentially black list you from obtaining permits in the future, hefty fine from 100 - 1500 dollars (Most instances I have read were about 200 dollars).

I hate the Zion permit system, but I understand its purpose. I'm a local to Utah & I have NEVER been able to get a permit for the past 5 years of trying for Subway or Mystery. Luckily I have been able to jump through with some other people who had a spot open in their group. Best of luck !!!

15. Likes Glenn liked this post
    Seems crazy. I end up with 4 or 5 subway and mystery permits every year. With a small amount if effort and planning the permit system works fine. And there are a ton of canyons. There is always something to do

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your experience is 180 degrees from mine. I bet of the last $100 I've dumped into permit applications I've pulled 2 permits. Which is a big reason I seldom canyoneer Zion anymore and when I do its why I seldom bother with permits.

Blog Entries

Online Wilderness Permits for Zion

I'm with Toyota man on this one too.

In fact I pulled a permit for 12 for the subway on a Saturday in 2 weeks due to a cancellation a couple days ago. ;)

Gotta check often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"