Thread: New Purchase

New Purchase

Is anyone else nervous about Obama's executive action pen concerning "Assault Rifles" ? I am. Whether he does something about the rifles themselves (because, you know, AR style rifles are really scary looking!) or maybe ammo or high capacity magazines, I think he's going to do something. Consequently, I went out yesterday and purchased the Ruger AR-556 (.556 / .223). I did a bunch of research and the reviews are stellar for the price point. I paid $599.99 at Gunnies in Orem. I'm guessing it's around that same price pretty much everywhere. I bought 40 rounds of ammo to get it sighted in with and have ordered 400 more rounds from Freedom Munitions out of Idaho. I also just ordered the Nikon P-223 3X scope today. I plan on shooting it for the first time next Wednesday at the Orem gun range. This is my first AR style weapon. Any tips or suggestions for an AR newb?

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/...eets/8500.html

Name:  Ruger AR556.PNG
Views: 5551
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  Nikon.PNG
Views: 902
Size:  171.4 KB
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    one of the most fun guns to shoot, there is.
    seriously-take someone out who is opposed to these semi auto rifles, when they are done, they will be grinning from ear to ear.
    I took out my extremely liberal, brother in law, who has a phd and a professor at a wasatch front college, when we were done he was no longer anti gun.
    Its really that easy, too much mis information, these are just fun.

Nice purchase and enjoy.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

4. Likes 2065toyota, tallsteve liked this post

You can never have to many guns.

6. Likes 2065toyota, tallsteve liked this post
    I went yesterday afternoon and sighted in my new .223. What an awesome shooting rifle! I first shot at 25 yards to get an idea of where I was hitting the paper then moved it out to 100 yards. I got it pretty spot on at 100. Just for kicks and giggles, and to get a good feel for it, I went through all 60 rounds I had with me. After shooting it, there's a couple of things I need to change up. First, I need to flip the scope mount 180 degrees. It has an up-slope under the one ring which every pic I saw of the mount had the up-slope facing forward but, I found that the other end got in the way of pulling out the charging handle. I also need to get a scope mount riser to raise the scope up an inch or so. Back to the range again next week!
    Are we there yet?

Careful using a riser.
    You want to make sure you have a good cheek weld on the stock, often a riser will not allow that.
    I've had good luck with the Burris PEPR mounts. I like the QD,

I sight my AR's in with scope or red dot site,first. then site in the iron's, I want both sighted in, in case I have a scope failure, I just remove it and can use Back up irons.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I think it's good to be proficient with both.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Thanks for the tips! I actually swapped out the Ruger stock (which was one of the very few things reviewers ragged on) and added this Magpul one along with the cheek rest. With the cheek rest off the scope height is perfect. With the cheek rest snapped on I need a bit more scope height. A 1/2" riser should probably do it. I love how the cheek rest add-on feels so, I'd like to keep it.

Name:  Stock.PNG
Views: 633
Size:  48.6 KB
    Are we there yet?

Found a 1/2" scope riser at Cabela's. Mounted the riser, turned the scope mount around, snapped the cheek rest back on and now it lines up perfectly!
    Are we there yet?

Well done!
    I haven't been around any of these Rugers, I guess they are just a bit different than mil-spec?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

As far as I can tell, a lot of it is mil-spec, although I have no allusion to what this rifle is compared to a $2,000 variant.
    Are we there yet?

Here's my build-

Name:  Ruger Build.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  41.1 KB
    Are we there yet?

15. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    I sold a lot of my guns and ammo during the last craze. Doubled my money on about everything. Funny what these cycles have been doing to people's emotions and pocketbooks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Name:  20160327_124228.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  59.9 KB

Went a similar direction...

18. Likes Iceaxe, oldno7, tallsteve liked this post
    Very nice!
    Are we there yet?

Anyone have any experience with an upgrade trigger from CMC, POF USA, Timney, Geissele, etc?
    Are we there yet?

I run LaRue, MBT 2s triggers, little nicer than geissele.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Cool. Thanks. Looks like the reviews for it are good. I'll throw that one in the mix.
    Are we there yet?

I ended up going with this POF USA trigger. Reviews for it generally are really good but, the main reason was that the reviews stated it is really, really good for shooters with exceptionally long fingers, like mine. I just got back from the range so here's my take: It definitely feels a bit goofy at first but, it does force the pad of your finger to go to the exact same spot on the trigger every time. Don't know that the feature is a deal breaker, however. After several rounds I didn't really notice the 'goofiness' anymore. I did like the extra reach for my long fingers- a definite plus! A huge, huge upgrade from the cheapo stock trigger. I was testing it at an indoor range so, only 25 yards out but, the trigger break is now predictable enough that my shot placement was half-dollar size with just a bean-bag front rest. Next week I'll go back to the outdoor range and re-sight in to zero at 50 yards. After doing a bunch of reading the 50 yard gives you zero points (because of trajectory) at 50 yards and then again at about 230 yards with it hitting about an inch and a half high at 100 yards (55gr bullet, 16" barrel).

http://pof-usa.com/shop/upgrades-acc...r-placement-2/

Name:  POF.PNG
Views: 587
Size:  152.0 KB
    Are we there yet?