Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quandary Direct

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Well, we had something happen while we were there that prompted my recommendation to bring a real climber.
    The kiss of death is if the first person over an obstacle makes it look difficult.

When I'm "guiding" I like to always pick someone to go first over an obstacle that will make it look easy. If the first person through makes it look easy there is a good chance everyone else will just blow over the obstacle with relative ease. If the first person struggles it's a safe bet many of those following will struggle. It's just the nature of the beast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2. Likes RelentlessHiker liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The kiss of death is if the first person over an obstacle makes it look difficult.

When I'm "guiding" I like to always pick someone to go first over an obstacle that will make it look easy. If the first person through makes it look easy there is a good chance everyone else will just blow over the obstacle with relative ease. If the first person struggles it's a safe bet many of those following will struggle. It's just the nature of the beast.

That's an interesting concept and I can see why that would work.

I will test this out with future noobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    A picture of the 'ramp" in question. You just walk up the seam between the two canyoneers. When my kids (5 and 7 at the time) and wife walked up l did spot them from below in case of a fall. Not sure I could really help much other than making sure they didn't land on their head. And yeah, snow, mud, rain changes things, both those should not be considered normal conditions and should be taken into consideration before doing any canyon if they are expected.

Hey Bob, have you ever considered the fact that you just might be a great big pussy?
    Fatigue matters too. And general attitude to risk. Seems a difficult climb from bottom at end of a longish day. Someone competent and experienced when physically drained is certainly a good idea. I am 50 and bring 20 year olds. They're often awesome and a highly recommended tool.

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Think I'd rather nock this one out earlier in the year. Looks like an amazing trip !!!

May is usually a really good time of year for all the Hidden Splendor canyons.

9. Likes Scott P liked this post
    I agree with Shane, especially for early and mid May. Late May can be buggy, but May is a good time to go. Late September to mid October can be pretty good too.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Kinda late for pics but here's a few.

Name:  P6112576.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  P6122591.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  P6122605.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  P6122649.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  P6122650.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  120.7 KB

Name:  P6122655.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  150.0 KB
    Micah

12. Likes RelentlessHiker liked this post
    Wow. That looks like an awesome trip! I guess I'll get to experience my first "keeper" next year. I'd be nervous but I trust the guys that we go with, so I'll try not to think about it too much. Love those stripped leggings, gonna have to find me a pair of those :)

14. Likes Slot Machine, ratagonia liked this post
    These are too good to look at sideways...

Stong work @MiCamp !

Name:  P6122605.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  P6122649.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  125.4 KB

Name:  P6122655.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  157.0 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

16. Likes MiCamp liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessHiker View Post
    Wow. That looks like an awesome trip! ... Love those stripped leggings, gonna have to find me a pair of those :)
    @RelentlessHiker

Thanks! It was great. It is pretty easy to defeat those potholes with a little teamwork. I think you'll be surprised.

Cristina's signature leggings are both stylish AND functional. They protect the skin, plus wetsuits go on over them in a flash.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

18. Likes RelentlessHiker liked this post