Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boundary Canyon - Exit down Kolob Creek/Narrows.

The Reservoir acquired more water in that time period, and there was a good snow year (good for them), so it is likely they actually WERE releasing 15 CFS for that time period, rather than obfuscating.
    2007 was actually an extremely low snow year for Zion, not a high one. In fact Echo was almost dry when we did it on May 19 that year (one very short swim and a few short wades; the semi keeper was completely dry). Maybe there were some releases in order to offset the low flows in the Virgin, but there was no way that they were sustained all the way to September. Also, I checked the flow at the mouth of Kolob. Obviously the flow is very different in different parts of the canyon, but there wasn't much flow there. In fact the entire Virgin at the gauge was only reading 31 CFS and at the concluence of Kolob and the Virgin about 1/6 of theach flow was coming out of Kolob. The flow from the Virgin was less at that point than near the gauge as well. In the entire Narrows hiker, there were a few knee deep places, but nothing more than that.

Also 5 CFS is the cutoff for upper Kolob, not the section below Boundary. 15 CFS essentially shuts the whole drainage down as far as permits go.

I don't necessarily think the Conservation District is being nasty, but I don't think they really want canyoneers in Kolob, mostly because they are afraid of getting sued again. Canyoneers just aren't their priority.

I guess we'll see in July if we'll obtain a permit or not.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement