Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boundary Canyon - Exit down Kolob Creek/Narrows.

Boundary Canyon - Exit down Kolob Creek/Narrows.

This past weekend we set out for another trip to Zion. Luckily for us we happened to get a overnight permit in the Zion narrows at campsite #6. We decided we were going to run Boundary Canyon & exit down kolob creek & the Narrows.

Friday 06/03/16 we woke up bright & early & headed down to boundary canyon. We found that Climb Utah & Road Trip Ryan have different approaches both within 1/4 mile of each other. We decided to follow the Climb Utah route which dropped off the road a little earlier. After bushwacking & trail finding our way down the hill we finally reached the mouth of Boundary Canyon. The stream flowing into the canyon was active showing a good sign that we were going to get wet & going to be in for a treat. We donned our wetsuits and begin rigging up for first rappel. We decided to use a fiddlestick technique & started down the canyon. The start of the canyon was incredibly beautiful. All the cameras out in full force with smiles from ear to ear. The 2nd rappel was kind of a mess. We re-rigged the rappel. Then came our first mistake in the canyon (Well my first mistake). Being the last man down the 2nd rappel I forgot to take off the carabineer blocking our fiddlestick. I've never had to use ascenders before in a canyon, but luckily I always carry them with me, & luckily the rappel was only a short ~ 15 feet. I ascended the rope, removed the carabineer & got to do the rappel TWICE !! Lucky me right :) The 3rd rappel immediately followed down a small waterfall. However we again got ourselves into a little problem. On the rappel our rope had rolled down into a rope groove putting both ropes on top of each other. When we tried to pull the rope it slid up & then was stuck. We tried all 5 of us to pull the rope without any luck. Great a rope stuck only 3 raps into the canyon. We had plenty of rope to continue down canyon, but being such a short rappel we decided to try and go back up to retrieve our rope. Hind sight we probably should have cut our rope & moved on. We used spotters to help the ascender up the waterfall (~ 15 feet) allowing us to get up as safely as possible which luckily for me I was the ascender. After seeing the groove our rope rolled in it was obvious why we could not pull our rope. I re set up the rappel & got to do yet ANOTHER rappel twice. This time the rope pulled with ease. Be aware of this rappel though for I can see more groups getting stuck in the same spot. We continued down the rest of the canyon without incident. The rappels absolutely incredible.

After getting into Kolob creek we decided to eat lunch & take off our wetsuits. The sun was out & we were plenty warm. We marched down kolob creek which was full of awe & beauty. A few down climbs were more short jumps into ponds. The 1 rappel in kolob creek had no webbing & was not set up. We didn't use anything because the water was 7 feet deep at the bottom allowing us to down climb & slide into the water with ease. Finally reaching the narrows we hiked upstream 100 yards to campsite 6. We were fairly tired from such a long day & were happy to rest & spend the night in such an incredible place.

Day 2 was spent hiking down the narrows. The Narrows flow was around 102 CFS which was just enough to knock you on your butt a few times making the hike fun & challenging. In multiple areas we were able to lay down in the river & flow down using our packs as flotation for 100 yards at a time. We saw minimal people until we reached Imlay. From Imlay the crowds started & the canyon became so busy we decided to make a quick march out the canyon.

Hind sight in the canyon we learned some good lessons. We are always learning & growing as canyoneers. Our mistakes were very simple, but with the wrong gear & a different situation could have been devastating. This trip was incredible & 3 days later we are all having withdrawals. Can't wait to get back out !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Everyone should do the full exit out Kolob at least once. It's a totally different experience over exiting out the MIA.

Did you have to get a permit for Lower Kolob or did the NPS know you were coming in from there?

The only reason I'm asking is that I was thinking of doing this same trip soon.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Boundary or Kolob if doing this one time? Isn't the Kolob permit a train wreck to get?

7. Likes dakotabelliston, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Boundary or Kolob if doing this one time? Isn't the Kolob permit a train wreck to get?
    Nah. It's not difficult. Maybe a little more tedious but not difficult.

Kolob is beautiful...I need to make another lap this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

9. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    One extra phone call is all, and double check the flow at the bridge. Definitely not very difficult.

11. Likes jman liked this post

13. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    We found that Climb Utah & Road Trip Ryan have different approaches both within 1/4 mile of each other. We decided to follow the Climb Utah route which dropped off the road a little earlier.
    Both the C-U and RTR beta are very much out of date, especially as to the approach information, and to the location and length of the first rappel. When visiting Zion, may I suggest that the beta at CanyoneeringUSA might be a better choice.

It helps that I live here, and do canyons in Zion on a regular basis. It does not help that I am not so good at updating the website, though I have done much better in the last year.

Tom

15. Likes darhawk, 2065toyota liked this post
    Boundary has several advantages as the start to a hike out Kolob to the Narrows.

1. Less rope. Longest rap in Boundary is 100 feet.
    2. Less wetsuit - well, only if Boundary is dry (as in, not right now, June 2016) and only if the Kolob release is low.
    3. Shorter. Boundary is considerably shorter getting to the same point as Kolob.
    4. Easier. Descending Boundary with a substantial pack is easier than descending Kolob.
    5. Drier. Boundary is cold when the water if flowing, but has no swims.

Tom

17. Likes harness man, 2065toyota liked this post
    Isn't the Kolob permit a train wreck to get?
    It can be, even for lower Kolob. Other than Lower Kolob in 1992, I have always been denied a permit for Kolob, despite many times trying.

In 2007, I actually did obtain a permit for down Boundary and out Narrows, but when my wife and I got out of Pine Creek, there was a note on our car door saying that our permit had been revoked since the Water Conservancy always claimed that they were releasing "up to 15 CFS", which with the "up to" phrase can mean still mean zero. I don't think they actually were releasing anything.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    It can be, even for lower Kolob. Other than Lower Kolob in 1992, I have always been denied a permit for Kolob, despite many times trying.

In 2007, I actually did obtain a permit for down Boundary and out Narrows, but when my wife and I got out of Pine Creek, there was a note on our car door saying that our permit had been revoked since the Water Conservancy always claimed that they were releasing "up to 15 CFS", which with the "up to" phrase can mean still mean zero. I don't think they actually were releasing anything.
    You seem to have exceptionally bad luck when dealing with the NPS.

For anyone but Scott, when they are not releasing over 5 cfs, it is one extra phone call to make, preferably during business hours.

T

20. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    You seem to have exceptionally bad luck when dealing with the NPS.

For anyone but Scott, when they are not releasing over 5 cfs, it is one extra phone call to make, preferably during business hours.
    It really wasn't the NPS, but rather the Water Conservancy District. I believe at the time they were telling everyone (not just me) that they were releasing "up to 15 CFS" just to keep people out of Kolob. Perhaps it isn't the problem anymore, but it was during that time period. I believe that there were some threads on it in the canyons group.

Anyway, since we're thinking of doing this soon, I'll call the reservation desk right now and see what they say.

It really wasn't the NPS, but rather the Water Conservancy District. I believe at the time they were telling everyone (not just me) that they were releasing "up to 15 CFS" just to keep people out of Kolob. Perhaps it isn't the problem anymore, but it was during that time period. I believe that there were some threads on it in the canyons group.

Anyway, since we're thinking of doing this soon, I'll call the reservation desk right now and see what they say.
    Reservation?

Interesting. I am thinking you cannot make a reservation over the phone or even in person.

Tom

I mean the backcountry desk. Anyway, no answer, but I left a message.

Also, a quick search on the canyons group and on the canyoncollective says that I was not the only one to have a problem getting a permit for Kolob and a straight answer from the Water Conservancy District. It has happened to several people.

I must say though that I just called the district right now and they gave me a straight answer that there was only a little spillover and no releases.

24. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    For anyone interested, here is the original post (July 9 2007) I made when I got my permit revoked:

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...00/#post-38050

"If the full 15cfs is released, what % makes it all the way to the Virgin? Does the water that goes underground all or partly come back up and out?"

I don't know the answer to the above question, but here's my story and conditions report.

I had to be in Utah for a family activity on July 4, so we spent July 5-8 in Zion. With the hot temps, we wanted to do lower Kolob. We had two half days and one full day available. Since upper Kolob was out due to releases, I thought Boundary to Temple of Sinawava would be a good trip. We were given a permit on the 5th to do this starting on the 6th (camping night one on BLM land/MIA and night two at campsite 11 in the narrows). I was told by the Water District that "up to 15 cfs was being released". When I said that could mean 0-15cfs, I asked for a more specific number and they said 13-14 cfs. I was given a permit for lower Kolob because it met park criteria.

Anyway (excuse the rambling) the other two dropped out for our Pine permit on the 5th (but came down that night), so I took my wife with me instead. Pine was nice on a 111 degree day. We get back to the car and there is a note on our car saying that our Kolob permit had been revoked and the canyon was closed until September 1 and that I was supposed to stop by the visitor center for a refund. The backcountry desk said that canyon was closed until September 1 and that we could not go into Kolob, even the lower end. Unfortunately, since we sarted Pine at 12:30 pm and didn't get the message until 4:30 pm, that put us back at the visitor center after 5 pm and just aqbout all permits for the next day were already full. Frustrating. Englestead was full because Orderville was full and the next day Englestead was full but Orderville had permits. Aaargh. Since the others in the group arrived over a day late, I took my wife with me to Zion so we could do Pine and she is not experienced enough to do Imlay at low water and we decided not to do that one.

I thought Corral Hollow sounds nice, but we weren't sure if water was available for overnighting before the narrows and if it would be too hot (temps at the visitor center were 108-111 on all days)

Anyway, we went to the alternate section of Left Fork North Creek and then the group split. Danny and Richard did Birch Hollow and Kim and I did the Narrows.

The Narrows were nice, but I sure wish we got to do the Boundary/Kolob/Narrows combo. Anyway, to finally get to the point after all this rambling, Kolob is flowing at the Narrows and they are releasing water. There is no way that it was 15 cfs though. At least at the narrows, 5 cfs would be a good ball park figure. A rough guess would be that under 1/6 of the water in the Virgin at Temple of Sinawava was coming from Kolob. Since we were told the Virgin was running at 31 cfs at the time, 5 cfs sound like a good figure. Don't know what is flowing up high.

26. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    In order to get a permit for Kolob Canyon you must obtain your permit in person. This is why it is extra difficult to get a permit especially for Zion Express Members like me who NEVER go in to the backcountry desk unless I must. I talked with the water district recently and they told us they are not releasing any water from kolob but there is overflow of about 30 CFS flowing down the canyon. As soon as kolob res stops overflow they plan on releasing 30-40 CFS for the first little while. We went up to observe the water flow & it was definitely a little high to be running down Kolob.

Boundary this time of year was awesome & yes it was flowing with a decent amount of water !!! We used a 5mm wetsuit & Neo socks. We were comfortable the entire time. During the hike out we wore shorts & our Neo socks while hiking in the water.

I don't usually upload pictures on Bogley, but if you are interested in seeing any pictures from this trip which I may say are INCREDIBLE then look me up on instagram @ koda_motion5 on instagram. Or you can probably look me up by my name at Dakota Belliston.

Boundary canyon has no permit required. In order to hike out the narrows you do need to get a overnight permit (If planning 2 days which I would recommend) or you need to get a Narrows day permit. We were able to get a walk up permit the day before we did this canyon. And YES we did get checked while being in the Narrows. This time of year we always see rangers in the Narrows & checking permits of people with large packs & ropes hanging off the back.

I hope I answered everyone's questions. If not please feel free to comment again or PM me :)

28. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    I mean the backcountry desk. Anyway, no answer, but I left a message.

Also, a quick search on the canyons group and on the canyoncollective says that I was not the only one to have a problem getting a permit for Kolob and a straight answer from the Water Conservancy District. It has happened to several people.

I must say though that I just called the district right now and they gave me a straight answer that there was only a little spillover and no releases.
    Not being the only one does not indicate that your experience is average. It only indicates that other people have also had bad experiences.

T

30. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    It really wasn't the NPS, but rather the Water Conservancy District. I believe at the time they were telling everyone (not just me) that they were releasing "up to 15 CFS" just to keep people out of Kolob.
    Interesting. I called them a few days ago and they said it was flowing over 15 CFS right now. (not up to)

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Not being the only one does not indicate that your experience is average. It only indicates that other people have also had bad experiences.

T
    I didn't say it was the average experience, only that there can be problems. Anyway, I found that you yourself wrote this letter on the exact weekend that we got our permit revoked:

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...61/#post-40851

July 4, 2007

Ronald W Thompson General Manager Washington County Water Conservancy District St George, Utah

Dear Mr. Thompson

The Zion Canyoneering Coalition is a citizen group that represents the interests of recreational canyoneers, especially in the vicinity of Zion National Park.

The ZCC is interested in accurate information regarding the District's release of water from Kolob Reservoir through Kolob Creek. Kolob Creek is a world-class recreational resource and the descent of the technical narrows is an incredible experience. A safe descent of Kolob Creek requires accurate information regarding the current and short-term future releases from the District- controlled Kolob Reservoir.

It has come to our attention that the District may be no longer providing accurate release information to the public. Some have suggested that the District is deliberately misleading the public by stating that a release of 15cfs is planned, to discourage recreational descents of Kolob Creek. When the District states that it will be releasing 15cfs, Zion National Park will not issue permits for this descent. Some have suggested that the District is miss-stating release levels in an attempt to decrease its liability in the case of an incident in Kolob Creek....

Other versions:

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...57/#post-40840

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...47/#post-40805

...It has come to our attention that the District is no longer providing accurate release information to the public. Some have suggested that the District is deliberately misleading the public by stating that a release of 15cfs is planned, to discourage recreational descents of Kolob Creek. When the District states that it will be releasing 15cfs, Zion National Park will not issue permits for this descent. Some have suggested that the District is miss-stating release levels in a misguided attempt to decrease its liability in the case of an incident in Kolob Creek.

We ask that you stop misleading the public, and instead provide accurate and timely information about releases from the reservoir...

Hopefully the time period is over that the permits will be hard to obtain due to inaccurate information from the water district, but it was a problem in the past and when I an others tried to obtain permits.

Mountaineer's post above makes it seem that there is still may be a problem since we were given conflicting information. I called on June 10 and they said there was only a little spillover and no releases. I also told the lady that I was planning on going 4th of July weekend (but obviously I was going to check again at that time). She was nice and sounded pretty new (or at least new to having people ask her about releases for canyoneering).

If Mountaineer was told a few days ago that the releases are now 15 CFS (coincidentally starting when canyoneers started asking about releases), either something actually did change with the planned releases (which may indeed be possible) or someone may be trying to discourage people going through Kolob. It does seem quite a coincidence that the amount being quoted (15 CFS) just happens to be the amount that the NPS denies permits for that section of Kolob. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but the timing does seem "interesting".

33. Likes ratagonia liked this post

Mountaineer's post above makes it seem that there is still may be a problem since we were given conflicting information. I called on June 10 and they said there was only a little spillover and no releases. I also told the lady that I was planning on going 4th of July weekend (but obviously I was going to check again at that time). She was nice and sounded pretty new (or at least new to having people ask her about releases for canyoneering).

If Mountaineer was told a few days ago that the releases are now 15 CFS (coincidentally starting when canyoneers started asking about releases), either something actually did change with the planned releases (which may indeed be possible) or someone may be trying to discourage people going through Kolob. It does seem quite a coincidence that the amount being quoted (15 CFS) just happens to be the amount that the NPS denies permits for that section of Kolob. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but the timing does seem "interesting".
    Paranoia much, Scott?

ZNP does not issue permits when the release level is above 5 cfs.

Mountaineer: "Interesting. I called them a few days ago and they said it was flowing over 15 CFS right now. (not up to)"

Notice, his statement is "flowing" not "releasing".

As stated elsewhere, it does not require nastiness on the part of the WCWCD. They do not have an office at the reservoir. I give them the benefit of doubt, and think they do the best job that they can with the sparse information they have.

The prior incident was perhaps a misunderstanding on our part. The Reservoir acquired more water in that time period, and there was a good snow year (good for them), so it is likely they actually WERE releasing 15 CFS for that time period, rather than obfuscating.

Tom