Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Phantom 4 Drone Video Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

These are from my recent trip to the Bryce Cayon / Escalante area: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...h-in-Escalante

It is very difficult to know which of your videos will be enjoyed, shared most. This one of Hogsback on Highway 12 is getting a lot of shares on Facebook, and I didn't see it as that big of deal. In fact, it was a last minute thought while we were in a hurry to get back to Panguitch, I decided to take the drone up for 5 minutes. I flew just 2 passes back and forth along the highway, threw it all together quick and posted it first so I could get it out of the way. But, people and trends are hard to forecast sometimes.

In this video at about 4:30 to 5:00 there is some drone footage of the same road from when I did the Rockwell Relay in 2014. I'm the little guy in the white jersey riding down that road. It was one of the best roads I've ridden on a road bike. Super fun.

2. Likes Sombeech, DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post

In this video at about 4:30 to 5:00 there is some drone footage of the same road from when I did the Rockwell Relay in 2014. I'm the little guy in the white jersey riding down that road. It was one of the best roads I've ridden on a road bike. Super fun.
    That was cool footage!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Cool shot! I was seriously wanting to shoot these falls when I was up there this spring, but there were so many people there. I thought about asking around to see if there would be any objection to me flying there for 20 minutes, but there were just so many people coming in and out of the parking lot that I just decided not to take a chance of bugging anybody.

Did you happen to get any comments?

I didn't shoot it. The guy with the drone was a part of the other guy's team that I was with in that shot. We just happened to get to that spot in the route at the same time and so we rode together through there. Just happens that his team mate had the drone and made a sweet video.

It was at about 5:30 am, and the only people around were a couple of other slow pokes in the race, so I don't think anyone hassled him about it.

It's amazing to see the technology advances in drones, even with the same company DJI in the last 2 years! Thanks for posting @devo_stevo

Here's my latest video from Red Canyon

P.S. Soundtrack music is getting increasingly difficult to come by! I hope this one fits ok.

8. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Did you happen to get any comments?
    One of the guys who helped created the FAA rules on drones happened to be there while I was flying. So he came over to check out my setup, and ask me questions. He was cool and didn't give me any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    One of the guys who helped created the FAA rules on drones happened to be there while I was flying. So he came over to check out my setup, and ask me questions. He was cool and didn't give me any trouble.
    Cool.

So one thing I'm starting to get concerned about is the whole commercial pilot license requirement if I want to sell any of my footage. Even if I get 3 pennies of YouTube ad revenue from 27,000 views on my video, that's considered profit from my aerial video and I would need a pilot's license (to fly real airplanes).

I know the rules are changing soon but I'm not sure when. Do you happen to know?

I know the rules are changing soon but I'm not sure when. Do you happen to know?
    http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=20515

My understanding is that intent is a big part of the commercial element. If I make the drone videos for myself or family (recreationally) and someone donates money to support more videos, of even buys it from me, it still wasn't a commercial production. If you were using it for business (construction, surveying, real-estate, etc. it demonstrates a clear commercial intent and would require the license.

Here's our Pineview footage from this week

And a crowded weekend at Causey Reservoir

13. Likes DiscGo liked this post

15. Likes DiscGo liked this post

17. Likes DiscGo liked this post

This isn't great drone footage but it was shocking to me. If you skip a head to 3:55, you'll see some dumb kid (whom I don't know and was not with our group) started walking up to the drone and acted like he was going to touch the drone / blades. So I flipped the drone back away from the kid to avoid hurting him. I couldn't believe this kid would be so stupid.

I nearly lost my drone today. I was trying to fly some drumstick ice cream cones to a friend up the street and I lost control of the drone. The drone performed an emergency landing (on its own) and I was lucky it was over a field.

OMG, stupid kid! That's why I hate flying around people, especially children. They could try to grab it, cut their finger, and you would get sued.

I'm thinking of getting some perimeter marking or a rope about 8 feet wide for the launch / landing zone to try and keep people out of it. People will stick their face right next to it before I launch and I tell them they could lose an eye.

On your last video, what other things have you tried to carry, and at what weight? Was it just 1 drumstick?

Private waterski lake in Plain City

Featured in waterski magazine
    http://www.waterskimag.com/waterski-...ourse-by-drone

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Was it just 1 drumstick?
    It was 6 drumsticks.

What other things have you tried to carry
    The biggest thing I have carried was two fountain (fireworks) at once. It was over 2.5 lbs and it had no problem reaching 170 feet in altitude but it was a beast to control.

I have also carried and delivered a towel to a neighbor two blocks over (it was probably about 2 lbs).

Other than that, not much. Just some milk jugs for testing.

Have you experimented with a release mechanism to drop or let go of a rope or anything like that? You could make a cool delivery service, cash under the table of course because of all of the regulations.

I've also been watching some videos where the drone takes a fishing line hundreds of feet out into the ocean and drops it, this could be cool for a big lake like Flaming Gorge and just drop a trolling rig down in the middle.

Have you experimented with a release mechanism to drop or let go of a rope or anything like that?
    No. I am really trying to follow all Federal Laws regarding drone navigation. In truth, I believe there will be people in the near of whom the Government will make examples for not following drone regulations and I don't want to be that person :).

ah crap, is that against one of the many confusing new drone laws?

The one I need to really read up on right now is making money from my aerial footage. I know it's currently, or recently, that I would need an actual pilot license, (for an actual airplane) before I could do this, but I know it's changing so the average person can start selling their footage.

Brim Trail at Powder Mountain

My KSL write up

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=41010346&nid...anoramic-views