Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Phantom 4 Drone Video Collection

Shot last night, Sunset City Days. I'm also keeping an eye out for other fireworks shows, I'd like to get a little closer to the action next time. Baby steps.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow I'm falling behind. It's been a week and I've got 3 videos to post

Goblin Valley at Sunset

Adams Canyon Waterfall

Fireworks at Sunset City Days

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I'm still getting the hang of this, but here is some short footage of Provo's Balloon Festival today:

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Cool footage! That would be cool to shoot a balloon festival, I believe they have them up in Ogden Valley every now and again, I need to look out for it and put it on the calendar.

Technically, as Hot Air Balloons are "aircraft", I wonder what the legality is for flying a drone nearby. Of course our main concern is not crashing into the balloon itself, but I don't believe the drone would be of any other concern other than that, do you happen to know what the rules are?

So I just learned something new about the FAA rules. We know we shouldn't fly over 400' high, and I always assumed this was vertically above the controller. But you can change these ceiling settings and increase them, so once you are near the mountain and you "top out" really quick at 400' above your controller, you can actually legally keep climbing as long as it's 400' high from the ground beneath it, so you can keep climbing up the mountain as you're down at the bottom, but the ground rises, and your drone can match the rise and keep going up!

This changes things for me, as I have topped out in a couple of videos, wishing I could go higher up on the mountain. I could have, I just needed to edit the safety restraints.

Other videos, however, are showing me clearly breaking the law now, like my Skyline / Pineview one. I'm 400' above my controller, but I took it over the canyon and went to a couple thousand feet high from the canyon floor. Oops, now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Technically, as Hot Air Balloons are "aircraft", I wonder what the legality is for flying a drone nearby.

I kept my distance for that very reason. It would have been cool to get a lot closer but I didn't want to cause any problems.

So I just learned something new about the FAA rules. We know we shouldn't fly over 400' high, and I always assumed this was vertically above the controller. But you can change these ceiling settings and increase them, so once you are near the mountain and you "top out" really quick at 400' above your controller, you can actually legally keep climbing as long as it's 400' high from the ground beneath it, so you can keep climbing up the mountain as you're down at the bottom, but the ground rises, and your drone can match the rise and keep going up!
    Mountains really do complicate things. You can hike up a mountain, and start 2,000 feet above the city, and then pilot the drone up another 400 feet and mile out over the city from there. It doesn't really make sense.

How do you raise the ceiling settings?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    How do you raise the ceiling settings?
    Nevermind. I tested raising the maximum altitude level tonight and it worked just fine.

This was the first time I had encountered another drone while I was in the air. I was recording a neighbor's fireworks and on the way home, I spotted another drone. We stared at each other for about 20 seconds, but I couldn't think of anything clever, so I just returned back to home.

ha ha, nice, I haven't come into view of another drone yet, although I've seen them flying from the ground.

Here's a quick sunset shot I filmed last night.

13. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Playing with Fireworks:

More Fireworks:

Cool stuff, here's my little buzz around the neighborhood last night. Aerials everywhere!

18. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I thought @Sombeech had a pretty good idea with his daughter's tooth:

20. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I thought @Sombeech had a pretty good idea with his daughter's tooth:

How many times did you have to tie the floss? I had to do it about 10 times, lesson learned. It kept slipping off of her tooth, we had napkins ad paper towels to keep the tooth dry and everything, it was a huge ordeal. If I ever do it again, it will be the top tooth only, and regular string so it's not so slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by @Sombeech View Post
    How many times did you have to tie the floss? I had to do it about 10 times, lesson learned. It kept slipping off of her tooth,.

It probably took me 10 minutes to get the floss around his tooth. Finally I looked up a video on YouTube for how to do it, and I found the trick was to make a loop with the floss before making a slip-knot. It took less than a minute for me after that.

23. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    oops, I'm falling behind. Here are my latest videos

This one was finished just yesterday, as it was the first day of harvest for McFarland Sweet Corn. It's reached legendary status in the greater Ogden area.

These are from my recent trip to the Bryce Cayon / Escalante area: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...h-in-Escalante

It is very difficult to know which of your videos will be enjoyed, shared most. This one of Hogsback on Highway 12 is getting a lot of shares on Facebook, and I didn't see it as that big of deal. In fact, it was a last minute thought while we were in a hurry to get back to Panguitch, I decided to take the drone up for 5 minutes. I flew just 2 passes back and forth along the highway, threw it all together quick and posted it first so I could get it out of the way. But, people and trends are hard to forecast sometimes.

This one has been making the rounds as well, shown on ABC4 the other night, but still not as popular as the Hogsback video. And this one was my favorite.

This one was finished just yesterday, as it was the first day of harvest for McFarland Sweet Corn. It's reached legendary status in the greater Ogden area.
    Very cool video. The straight over head shot was the plowing was especially nice.

This one of Hogsback on Highway 12 is getting a lot of shares on Facebook, and I didn't see it as that big of deal.
    When I was in Escalante last month, I thought this road would make for a great drone video and you pulled it off. Well done!

This one was my favorite.
    Very cool!

Feel free to post your footage here too.
    @Sombeech offered to allow me to post my drone footage here, but his is so good that I'm starting to re-think it.