Thread: Canyoneering June 10th-11th

Canyoneering June 10th-11th

Anyone want to plan a trip this upcoming Friday-Saturday, June 10-11?

Canyons I'd be interested in:

Escalante:
    Neon/Ringtail/West Baker/Egypt's
    Little Baker slots
    Davis Gulch

North Wash:
    Almost any canyon down the Bullfrog road

Paria Area:
    Deer Creek and Stone Donkey

Capitol Reef:
    Fivemile/Wonderland
    Smiling Cricket/Happy Dog/Baboon Laughs

Zion:
    Boundary/Das Boot/Russell Gulch/Eye of the Needle

Cedar Mesa:
    Long/Short/Cove/Duckett

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You couldn't pay me to go to Halls Creek in June. Good luck with the gnats and black flies in the 100F+

4. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Ditto Cedar Mesa, the cedar gnats are brutal.

Fivemile is closed until August for "resource protection". There must be some owls or something nesting in there?

If you wanted to do that canyon in Dinosaur, let me know, but I don't think I'll be driving farther than that this time around.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Eye of the Needle (Zion) is closed to public access. Unless you have special permission from one of the land owners.

Tom

When you say Russell Gulch, do you mean just Russell Gulch? I don't know if that canyon would be worth it without doing the Subway.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks for the heads up on the closures. I'd do Das Boot and Russell Gulch together. I've done the lower Subway way too many times to want to go again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the closures. I'd do Das Boot and Russell Gulch together. I've done the lower Subway way too many times to want to go again.
    I'm going on 19x this year within the last 15 years. :)

I try to make it a game and find something new (spring, seep, arch, dino tracks, etc). each trip through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Just curious, but how would you do Russell Gulch (if you are doing the technical part) and Das Boot together?

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I'm going on 19x this year within the last 15 years. :)

I try to make it a game and find something new (spring, seep, arch, dino tracks, etc). each trip through.

Next time you go, find the old route back to the upper vehicles to avoid any car shuttling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Next time you go, find the old route back to the upper vehicles to avoid any car shuttling
    I know where this route is actually and have been maybe 15mins or so up it and turned around before it gets to an bushwhack section.

Scott P mentioned a waterfall up this path and I'm sucker for waterfalls so...maybe in July I'll check it all the way out.

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Scott P mentioned a waterfall up this path and I'm sucker for waterfalls so...
    It's a small one, but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Just curious, but how would you do Russell Gulch (if you are doing the technical part) and Das Boot together?
    I would just do Das Boot first (or Russell Gulch), then hike out where Das Boot and the normal Subway join, and then hike to the next one and do that, then hike out again and return to the car. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I know where this route is actually and have been maybe 15mins or so up it and turned around before it gets to an bushwhack section.

Scott P mentioned a waterfall up this path and I'm sucker for waterfalls so...maybe in July I'll check it all the way out.

If not, I will go find next spring when I start getting out again. I'm all about loop hikes and eliminating shuttles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Canyoneering June 10th-11th

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    If not, I will go find next spring when I start getting out again. I'm all about loop hikes and eliminating shuttles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    So, after some Google Earthing and while following the Little Creek "trail" back to Wildcat TH the mileage is about 4 miles.

Going to Left Hand TH is just 1.5 miles.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

18. Likes 2065toyota liked this post