Thread: Kolob / Boundary

Kolob / Boundary

Has anyone recently completed Kolob or Boundary canyons? I am also curious if anyone has input on what the canyon is like hiking out the bottom through the narrows? Is there more technical sections or is it just a hike out?

Every time I call for flow rate they tell me that they are not currently releasing water from kolob res. All the water is from overflow & runoff & they can not accurately measure the water flow.

Thank you for the input !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My guess is that the water is too high in Kolob Creek. Although we didn't do that one, we went down Wildcat Canyon from Lava Point. If Wildcat Canyon had knee to waist water throughout (and it is usually dry), I would guess that Kolob is really flowing. Someone did Boundary recently and it is really flowing and cold:

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...70/#post-98460

If Boundary is at 3-4 CFS, then Kolob would be too dangerous.

Is there more technical sections or is it just a hike out?
    I haven't done it for many years and things may have changed, but when we did it there was lots of boulder-hopping and one 20-25' drop into a pool. You could bypass the pool and have a shorter 10 foot jump, if the water is deep enough. Since I was 18 years old at the time, we had no problem with jumping, but 24 years later, I'd probably rappel it!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Yeah I was thinking that Kolob would still be to high. Just had my hopes up lol. I saw a few pictures from Boundary this year & it looked absolutely awesome, but we only want to run it if we can exit out the bottom and make it a 2 day trip.

We are heading down to Zion tonight & it seams that my group is determined to run a 2 day canyon. So either kolob down or Right fork. I couldn't talk them in to running Heaps again.

So either kolob down or Right fork.
    Just did Right Fork, but you may have already seen it?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...623#post577623

If you go, make sure to hit up the slot under the Alcove.

Also, Full Imlay would be a good 2-day canyon.

If you can't get a permit, one good two day trip would be to combine both forks of Misery Canyon. Doing both forks is too long for a day trip.

Now that the Narrows is open you could do Checkerboard as an overnighter and camp in the narrows. It's a very long day.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    Yeah I was thinking that Kolob would still be to high. Just had my hopes up lol. I saw a few pictures from Boundary this year & it looked absolutely awesome, but we only want to run it if we can exit out the bottom and make it a 2 day trip.

We are heading down to Zion tonight & it seams that my group is determined to run a 2 day canyon. So either kolob down or Right fork. I couldn't talk them in to running Heaps again.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ry+rock+french

This was one of the best trips we did that year