Thread: Imlay conditions / trip report

Imlay conditions / trip report

4 of us did Imlay sneak on Saturday (Bluugnome route). Potholes were full, didn't require any hooking, but used the upper hook holes to get out. Water was cold towards the last potholes, but we were ok with 5mm or 4/3 suits. The log jam was quite scary as it was unstable and a few big logs fell / moved. No pix :).

Sorry for the short summary...rest day in between canyons.

2. Likes 2065toyota, jman, harness man liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the info !!! Sounds like a good day overall !!!

We did it the next day, May 29th!

Sneak route, 9.5 hours shuttle-to-shuttle, 2 Imlay 1st-timers. Approach 5 hrs including lunch break, Canyon 3 hrs, Narrows 1.5 hours

It was about as full as it ever gets. It was closed two days earlier due to high water (day-of Virgin River was 110 cfs). What a blast!--super easy. Could float across potholes and climb out without assistance. The approach was by far the most difficult part; lots of bushwhacking, backtracking despite GPS, and steep slopes with loose soil. The Narrows were so high afterward we floated down them on our packs. A blissful day!

All but the final rap anchors could use replacing.

We carried a pool floaty ring ("pothole escape device") to boost morale. It was useful pretty much exclusively for morale-boosting. :)

Name:  imlay_pool_floaty-4_sm.png
Views: 361
Size:  368.0 KBName:  imlay_floaty_pothole_escape-2_sm.png
Views: 366
Size:  515.3 KBName:  imlay_floaty_pothole_escape-1_sm.png
Views: 367
Size:  467.9 KB

6. Likes hesse15, Scott P, Slot Machine, darhawk liked this post
    Did you use the east or west sneak?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update! We did Pine Creek and Keyhole today. Mystery on Monday and some of us will be doing Imlay Sneak Route on Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessHiker View Post
    Thanks for the update! We did Pine Creek and Keyhole today. Mystery on Monday and some of us will be doing Imlay Sneak Route on Wed.
    Cool. @RelentlessHiker , Could you please post the conditions in Imlay upon your return? A trip report would be awesome too, if you feel like sharing.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by eleven View Post
    The Narrows were so high afterward we floated down them on our packs.
    Forgot about that...Yes...did the same, and was fun :)
    Last edited by nkanarik; 06-20-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: removed photos

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Cool. @RelentlessHiker , Could you please post the conditions in Imlay upon your return? A trip report would be awesome too, if you feel like sharing.
    We went through Imlay last Friday (17th). The trash compactor was almost dry, required very little effort to traverse through. Most potholes were full, only 2 or 3 required hooking out. Lava Point to Narrows took our group (of four) 12 hours to complete. Ideal conditions.

12. Likes Taylor, Slot Machine, Iceaxe, 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    We ended up replacing Imlay with Water Canyon. Water Canyon (no permits needed) was great and offered enough challenges to be demanding and it was a lot of fun. I think Water Canyon was more scenic and technical than Mystery but after four days of canyoneering everything kinda runs together. We stuck a rope on both Mystery and Water. That was a first for me. The guys recovered it quickly though. I'm still sorting through hundreds of photos. I'll post some when I'm done. Keyhole and Pinecreek were dry and not near as fun or as beautiful as they were last year. We've added Kolob and Heaps to our list for next year! It was a great week in the canyons.

14. Likes jman, ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven View Post
    We did it the next day, May 29th!

All but the final rap anchors could use replacing.
    You just went through? Why would all the rap anchors need replacing? How many did you replace?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    You just went through? Why would all the rap anchors need replacing? How many did you replace?

Tom
    I was there last month and cut out nearly half of what was there. What was left certainly passed the sniff test.

If someone wanted to replace what was left, by all means. But I wouldn't go so far as to say they "all need replacing"