Thread: Packrafting/Canyoning Escalante This Weekend - Partner Request

Packrafting/Canyoning Escalante This Weekend - Partner Request

Looking for a someone(s) who would like to packraft and possibly do some canyoneering on the Escalante this weekend. Weather looks good and the flows are holding around 10cfs so far. My plan is to go in from the Egypt TH and take out at Coyote. The tentative schedule is put on the water Friday morning and take off on Monday afternoon. I do have some flexibility in my schedule if anyone is interested. I have done all the published canyons on the Escalante and have no problem leading other competent people. I am also open to just exploring the lower sections of the Escalante and not canyoning.

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mark, How was the trip?

There is a new FB utah packrafting group you should join if your looking for partners. I wish I had seen this earlier, I would have loved to join you.

Hey Dman, the trip was luxurious. The flows jumped up to 20 cfs before I put on and stayed there for the entire trip. I only had to get out of the boat twice, once for the mandatory portage and once for a downed tree that created a river wide strainer. After 20 years of bushwhacking up and down the river (mostly ingress/egress for canyoning), I never realized how loud and disconnected I was from the environment until I floated it. Being able to silently drift along and listen to the river and nature all around you was simply amazing. Not to mention I didn't have to schlepp my 60 pound pack around all day which gave me plenty of energy to explore numerous side canyons.

Thanks for the FB packrafting info, I will check it out. Let me know if you ever need a partner for a future trip, as I am wholly addicted to packrafting now.

Mark