Thread: which SUV you suggest for canyoneering?

which SUV you suggest for canyoneering?

my poor outback is dead,in the market for a new vehicle.
    looking for a small suv for less than 25k that has : good mileage ,good clearance to get me to trailhead and cargo space for gear.
    For now in the list : forester subaru and jeep patriot . what is everybody is driving on the suv side?

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bought my 2008 Jeep Liberty for 14,000 with 45.700 miles on the clock. 4x4 (part time) stick shift, traction control. Donut spare but room for full size spare (which I did).

This vehicle is far more competent than you might think. Wife and I just finished a week in the Arizona Strip, no problems (Whitmore Overlook, Toroweap, Kanab Pt, S. Fork Indian Canyon, sneak entry to Snake Gulch). If you want, add a Jeeping By Al 2.5" lift to increase its modest ground clearance..

4. Likes hesse15 liked this post
    Dodge Ram 2500 diesel

Predicted Reliabilities of 2010-2016 Models:

Road Scores 2015:

Road Scores 2016:

Keep in mind that the above doesn't take in the factor of off-road ability. If you want a vehicle that is good on the road and gets you to most trailheads, you can't go wrong with a Subaru Outback, Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, or Toyota RAV4.

If you want something that does really well off road, a Tacoma TRD will do the trick, though it is a truck. The 4Runner is OK, but it might be big for one person? Among light duty full sized trucks, the Ford F150 is the top rated.

Reliability does depend on the model year as well. Here are some examples:

Kias and Hyundais used to be absolute junk, but they have gotten much better over the years. The Ford F150 has really improved in the last couple of years and has become reliable. The early EcoBoost engines did have problems, but they seem to be smoothed out in recent years. Nissan used to be near the top of the list, but they have really dropped in recent years. In the past few years Honda has also moved down the list. Before the mid 1990's, Mercedes used to be near the top of the list, but they have really dropped. They still have some cool cars though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes harness man, hesse15 liked this post
    4runner

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Likes harness man liked this post
    +1 for a 4Runner. I own 2 of them.

11. Likes 2065toyota, harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    +1 for a 4Runner. I own 2 of them.
    4Runner is
    above my price range
    and gas mileage is not as good
    I need a good compromise for a car that been used 80% in city traffic and 20% in dirt roads
    I miss my poor outback that now is just a crunched piece of metal!!!

This seems like a no brainer to me.... If you really liked your Outback and it met all your needs than buy another one.

14. Likes darhawk, Scott P, 2065toyota liked this post
    Toyota Rav 4 is a good car.

My 2015 outback was not too much more than 25K and gets around 30 mpg highway and 25-26 mpg city. Ground clearance increased in 2015 and is nearly Jeep level now.

Blog Entries
    I'm the oddball here but I have a F-150 truck and it has been a great vehicle for practically everything....except for everyday driving to work.

Averaging about 18-mph on highway (ouch!) that's the only downside, in my opinion.

Pros:
    -Carries 5 people just fine with plenty of space in the cab, for just that, people.
    -EVERYTHING else goes in the bed.
    A standard bed (like mine) allows me (or up to two people) to sleep in the bed of the truck. I'm 6'0". But sleeping in the bed means I'm car camping. I planned and let my passengers know that I'm doing this. Never a sleep-less night in the truck bed, if you plan right. Plus it keeps the rain out (if it's covered of course), I can FULLY stretch out, and it evens offer a wind barrier while sleeping. And since you are sleeping above the ground, the small animals can't bite through or climb up into the truck. (I've had that happen once in Zion and one in the Swell while in a tent).
    -can cook out of the bed of the truck. No need to find a flat rock or surface, and no reason to bend over all the time. Everything is waist-level.
    -all of the gear can stay completely dry or wind-proof (like in the Roost or Swell) but if you have a camper-shell or touneau cover.
    -true 4-wheel drive and much "higher clearance" than other hybrids or SUVs. But this "higher clearance" necessity all depends on the destinations or canyons you are going to.
    -same MPG whether carrying 5people w/gear or no-one (both a pro and con).

(On one trip, I was driving 5 people, everyone's gear (carrying about 10 people's backpacks, totes, tents, water, food totes, extra fuel, two mountain-bikes, and then some... and was averaging 17 mpg uphill on Highway 6 from Moab. That bed was LOADED. Soo much gear but was extremely beneficial. All of the other small sedans could allow better mpg for their cars, carry MUCH more gear (the women appreciated this) and more cabin-space for the passengers (you take that for granted except for when you get chosen to ride next to someone's duffel, smelly and damp shoes, and wet neopreone (literally no space in the trunk) on a 5-hr drive back from Zion. And with no space to see past the gear, or to move your arms or legs, or breathe...)

Cons:
    -bad fuel economy. But that is the price to pay of owning such a vehicle. This is the driving factor for most people.
    -It's a FORD. However, their F-150 lineup has been VERY solid over the years in terms of reliability.
    -same MPG whether carrying 5-people w/gear or no-one and no gear.
    -If you get a short-bed then it will limit a few things such as: you can't sleep in the bed, and you carry much less gear. But the cab does offer more space for the passengers (and it's 4 doors, compared to my extended crew-cab)
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

18. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Ford Expedition. Big enough for up to 3 to sleep in with the seats folded down. I can haul 6 canyoneers and all their gear. It lacks clearance with its long wheel base, but if you know how to drive you can get it to most trailheads. I bought my 2014 18mo ago for under $25K.