Thread: Lost Zion National Park trails

Lost Zion National Park trails

Copied from another thread, but might be of interest to some and be worth of another thread:

I even have an old l copy of the old Zion Trails guidebook Tom mentions in his link. It talked about how to properly build fires at your backcountry campsite. I should take it into the visitor center one day and show it to the rangers and ask them about the best areas for building fires in the backcountry.

It also had the Death Point Trail, an old official trail long forgotten. In September 1992, we used the guidebook suggestion when we used it to access Secret Falls Canyon. Along the way to the old trailhead, a cattle rancher ask what we were doing there and we told him we wanted to get to the Death Point. He said we could cross his land if we didn't bother the cows, so we were given permission to go to Death Point. The old trailhead sign was still there (and still might be) and I remember it as having the best view in the park.

Also, the trail to La Verkin Creek and Kolob Arch used to start near the visitor center.

Anyway, another trail which seems to have dropped off the radar, is the one from Kolob Reservoir to the Kolob section of the park. This used to be a popular trail in the 1980's and it was never a problem accessing it, but by 1994 you were supposed to call the rancher to use it. The park service used to give you the number when you asked about hiking it or got a permit. I don't think many people use the trail anymore (if it is even still legally possible). The NPS has removed the trail from the newer maps.

Another trail that has dropped way off the radar is the one that goes up Gifford Canyon and Hepworth Wash to Parunaweap Canyon. It's an old and historic trail, but became somewhat popular in the 1980's (maybe in the late 70's too?) due to the Shunesburg Ranch being stricter about hikers crossing the ranch land (supposedly they wanted to sell their land to the park for a high price, but the park didn't want to buy for that price). Too bad the NPS didn't promote this as an alternate route instead of closing lower Parunaweap Canyon.

We also found an old trail (or at least parts of it) up Trail Canyon (imagine that), a side canyon of Right Fork North Creek. It went all the way up to the rim east of Cougar Mountain. There was actually even old sheep camps somewhere near "The Bishopric" rock formations (I don't remember exactly where) and you could get into Phantom Valley (no trail). I have told other people more recently about the trail and they couldn't find it. Maybe the last few decades (has it really been that long?-ug) have wiped out the remaining traces of the trail.

There is another forgotten trail that leaves the North Fork North Creek below the Subway and before Little Creek. In the 1980's, this trail was actually in better condition than the now used one. I'm surprised that the trail never gained popularity since it allows you to do the Subway without having a car shuttle. I don't know the condition of it now, but in the 1980's it was a pleasant trail and there was a nice little waterfall as the trail crossed Little Creek.

-------------------------------

Of course, there is the old trail to Lady Mountain as well.

Others?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Lost Zion National Park trails

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    There is another forgotten trail that leaves the North Fork North Creek below the Subway and before Little Creek. In the 1980's, this trail was actually in better condition than the now used one. I'm surprised that the trail never gained popularity since it allows you to do the Subway without having a car shuttle. I don't know the condition of it now, but in the 1980's it was a pleasant trail and there was a nice little waterfall as the trail crossed Little Creek.
    A ha! That confirms my suspicions. I always knew there was a loop hike for the subway in that area.

I've explored maybe 20mins up that old path actually just to see if a loop-route existed. There was definitely a path but it was quite overgrown about two years ago when I went up it.

Perhaps I'll complete the route this summer and see what it's like...hmm...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    A ha! That confirms my suspicions. I always knew there was a loop hike for the subway in that area.

I've explored maybe 20mins up that old path actually just to see if a loop-route existed. There was definitely a path but it was quite overgrown about two years ago when I went up it.

Perhaps I'll complete the route this summer and see what it's like...hmm...
    I had heard it referred to as "an old sheep trail".I thought Brereton and Dunaway mentioned it, but apparently not (having just checked).

Tom

5. Likes jman liked this post
    I thought Brereton and Dunaway mentioned it, but apparently not (having just checked).
    Actually they do, at least in the 1st edition (the only edition I have of the book, so I don't know what the 2nd says). Page 74 says:

An old cow trail leaves the Left Fork in this vicinity and ascends the slopes to the south end of Lee Valley. Many hikers have mistakenly taken this trail for the way out of the Left Fork.

Anyway, last time we did the Subway (June 2013), I noticed the beginning of the trail, but the NPS had it blocked off with logs/brush, presumably so people won't mistake it for the other trail. I still think it makes a nice loop hike without a car shuttle, but it is a few miles longer than the car-shuttle route.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Actually they do, at least in the 1st edition (the only edition I have of the book, so I don't know what the 2nd says). Page 74 says:

An old cow trail leaves the Left Fork in this vicinity and ascends the slopes to the south end of Lee Valley. Many hikers have mistakenly taken this trail for the way out of the Left Fork.

Anyway, last time we did the Subway (June 2013), I noticed the beginning of the trail, but the NPS had it blocked off with logs/brush, presumably so people won't mistake it for the other trail. I still think it makes a nice loop hike without a car shuttle, but it is a few miles longer than the car-shuttle route.
    oops. did not look high enough on the page!

T