Thread: My 2nd Half-Marathon next week! (Ogden utah)

Blog Entries

My 2nd Half-Marathon next week! (Ogden utah)

It's interesting to see how many views these threads how, given how little people post here! I'll try to be better at it...

So last year (2015) I ran my first half-marathon in Ogden, Utah. It was a great course. Mostly all down-hill, rained the entire event, and completed in 2hrs and 10mins.

Now, I am NOT a runner at all. I didn't run track in HS. I wasn't on any HS sport or College athletic teams.

However, I am very active in the outdoors. Hiking and Canyoneering is the name of the game. But, these two sports (or "sports" as someone people call them) do not equate to being able to run.

Running is in a whole new game.

So, back in 2010 I had a rappelling accident in where I broke my left ankle (talus), was in a wheelchair for a month (due to both ankles swelling up) followed by crutches for 4 more months. On top of that, I gained 40lbs of inactivity in 5 lbs. YIKES! Mr. Fatty here!

Fortunately, I was able to lose all of the weight (and more) and running was the trick for me.

I first started with the "Couch to 5K" programs and was very successful in doing those. The culmination after re-doing the Couch to 5K program 3x, was the Ogden Half-Marathon.

Now, a year later, I keep up the running 3x a week, followed by working out on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with Saturday being a hike/canyon day. My cardiovascular is unbeatable now. It really is amazing at the progress that I, alone, have done. It is such an awesome feeling to have lost that weight, run 13 miles in one stretch, and improve my body's condition all the time.

And next week is the 2nd Half-Marathon. I'm pumped! I'm really excited for this one. I want to step up my game just a little bit and beat my time by 5mins or more. Now, again, I'm not a pro-runner but can run at a constant 6.5mph for miles. I would like to keep improving and make 7mph my standard. But that 0.5mph increase makes it a little more difficult...

On top of that, I also battle with Type 1 Diabetes every single day. I have had it for 18 years. And the shape that I am in AND with diabetes is quite incredible.

Anyway, is there anyone else on Bogley running the Ogden full or half marathon?

And in a week, I'll try to remember and post some pics of the event, etc.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes whansen liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement