Thread: Satellite Phone recomendations

Satellite Phone recomendations

I am not a big fan of the PLB. Has anyone carried a sat phone through canyons? I would like to see if there is anyone who might know the cost, subscription fees, pay by minute options and of course, Size. Are there any sat phones of reasonable size under $400?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have a Delorme inReach SE. It's obviously not the same as a sat phone, but I can send and receive text messages with it. It's also less expensive ($300 retail) and has monthly and annual subscription plans.

Worked very well on my last trip to UTAZ a couple weeks back. My family got daily check-in messages when I was remote and provided them with map links also.

Don't you need to get out of canyon for reception?

5. Likes Scott P liked this post
    I have a global star sat phone. You need pretty wide area to get a signal. Will not work in a slot. Have been a customer for about 15 years. They went thru a bad spell a few years ago with poor reception. They've got that resolved. If you play alot in the outdoors it's priceless. I've had both phones. If going to get one spend the coin for the 1700 model.

http://www.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=1110

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7. Likes Glenn liked this post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I have a global star sat phone. You need pretty wide area to get a signal. Will not work in a slot. Have been a customer for about 15 years. They went thru a bad spell a few years ago with poor reception. They've got that resolved. If you play alot in the outdoors it's priceless. I've had both phones. If going to get one spend the coin for the 1700 model.

http://www.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=1110

Do you have a subscription for service? Or do you do a pay-as-you-go credit?

I have an Iridium 9555 sat phone (which uses Globalstar) but instead of paying $60/month (subscription) for a meager 10 mins a month allotment, I rent a SIM card from a dealer in SLC and pay $50 for 20minutes. And can turn in that SIM after the week-long trip and call it good.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm on a plan from 15 years ago. I pay by my use. I am not familiar with their current programs.

Don't you need to get out of canyon for reception?
    Unless the canyon is big, like the Grand Canyon, yes you need to get out of the canyon for reception.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.