Thread: Road Rage, near misses, crazy driving, my dashcam thread

Road Rage, near misses, crazy driving, my dashcam thread

When I'm not filming a ride with my SJCAM 5000X, I pop it in the dashcam mount. It's just there, I don't have to think about it, I don't even have to turn it on or worry about the SD card filling up. It's all automatic.

Once in a while I catch a few seconds of entertainment on the road though, the hardest part is remembering that I caught it on camera, and to hurry and grab the footage within a day before it's overwritten.

I'll post the fun clips here, you can ignore it if you like but I'm going to keep a single location for these as my driving life is blessed by them, one by one.

This one was yesterday. This black Acura merged late at the Clearfield exit, cutting this Toyota truck off (off camera). The truck honks, positions change back and forth as the race behind me ensues. Unfortunately this is the only clip of the whole childish fight I was able to capture, as everything else happened behind me.

If anybody in the Clinton/Sunset area recognizes this car, let 'em know they're famous.

Name:  vlcsnap-2016-04-29-16h32m27s92.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  40.7 KB

This one is a New York lady at our entrance at Farmington Station Park, nothing crazy just a little distracted by those annoying lane markers.

Start Seeing Motorcycles

Don't Mind Me - oops, it's ok, he waved.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You're a Veteran? Drive however you want. (Actually, I almost don't mind, but the way this asshat was cutting everybody off, like CLOSE, that's why I'm posting it.)

Black Cadillac, license plate WIKID

Name:  wikid vet.png
Views: 353
Size:  120.8 KB

Check that lane maybe a second time. ---for HUGE SEMI TRUCKS

Blog Entries

Love the vids.

It's interesting, I had a thousand dollar idea a couple years ago where I would create a YouTube channel called "Utah's Worst Drivers" and just have hundreds of video clips of Utahs' infamous drivers doing what they do best! (Cutting people off, distracted driving, going 20mph over, going 15mph under, not getting out of the left lane, running red lights and blocking intersections, tailgating, passing people in the emergency lane, etc).

Insurance companies would love this idea, but people would be losing their minds as license plates would be in the public forum (and searchable).

Mark my words - there will be a day when everyone's driving will be recorded and uploaded on a online, public, searchable database.

Imagine going online, searching for your own plates, and seeing numerous vids from strangers recording you being distracted, racing, cutting people off, speeding...whatever...

And it's all crowd sourced. So then when a police officer runs your plates, he has a library of "oh, 'Wikid', has 20 vids of him cutting people off and going over the speed limit".

A database like that would definitely modify someone's driving behavior! But unfortunately it couldn't be done by education, experience and common sense first. The fear of getting caught, paying fines, etc. is sadly, the motivating factor (but somewhat effective) for a lot of people.

But in this day and age of self-incrimination, I.E. People recording themselves going 120mph down freeways and then officers showing up at your house with video evidence of your crime...Videos like these will be invaluable to trend and modify behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

jman, that's already happening in Russia. The reason you see so many wacko driving videos on YT from Russia is that many insurance companies require (or offer significant discounts for) having a dashcam.

I wish I had a dashcam now; I've seen two accidents in the past six months that were amazing and no one seriously hurt.

6. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    When I'm not filming a ride with my SJCAM 5000X, I pop it in the dashcam mount. It's just there, I don't have to think about it, I don't even have to turn it on or worry about the SD card filling up. It's all automatic.

Once in a while I catch a few seconds of entertainment on the road though, the hardest part is remembering that I caught it on camera, and to hurry and grab the footage within a day before it's overwritten.

I'll post the fun clips here, you can ignore it if you like but I'm going to keep a single location for these as my driving life is blessed by them, one by one.

This one was yesterday. This black Acura merged late at the Clearfield exit, cutting this Toyota truck off (off camera). The truck honks, positions change back and forth as the race behind me ensues. Unfortunately this is the only clip of the whole childish fight I was able to capture, as everything else happened behind me.

If anybody in the Clinton/Sunset area recognizes this car, let 'em know they're famous.

This one is a New York lady at our entrance at Farmington Station Park, nothing crazy just a little distracted by those annoying lane markers.

Start Seeing Motorcycles

Don't Mind Me - oops, it's ok, he waved.
    Ranking:

Road Rage: 0 - no rage seen
    NY Lady: 3 - slipped a lane (edit that video down and I'll add a couple points)
    Start Seeing Motorcycles: 8 - that would definitely elicit a horn blow from me. Grrrr.
    It's ok, he waved: 4 - why'd he need the right lane? The left one was clear past the stop light. I'm guessing he needed to turn right after, but can't tell from vid. Would have been a 5 if he didn't wave.

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Road Rage: 0 - no rage seen
    Yeah, kind of hard to see the guy in the car flipping him off, most of the action was observed in my rear view mirror. Now that I've got this dashcam, it's made me want to put one on the back window to catch that action LOL.

I don't expect any of these are going to be the viral facebook video, but a compilation over time might be fun to watch.

I'm definitely going to set up my GoPro at least. I saw some great road rage yesterday between a Corvette-@$$hat and a Corolla-d!¢k blocking each other out on a merging lane. The 'Vette driver eventually raced up on the shoulder about 10-12 cars up.

I witnessed a driver leave the HOV lane across the double stripes and bump a semi. The semi swerved and trailers behind him cracked the whip and knocked two other cars out of their lanes. The driver that caused it all drove off, But left a semi and 5 cars with damaged in rush hour traffic. So I got and installed a Lukas dash cam and it has both the front and rear cameras.. Our course since I installed it nothing has happened and I need to remember to reformat the SD card monthly.

It's easy enough to mount the GoPro on the windshield, but the hardest part is remembering to turn it on every time you drive, AND turn it off when you park.

Then, you have to maintain the SD card so it doesn't fill up and stop you from filming more.

If you want a GoPro-ish camera as a dashcam, I fully recommend an SJCAM model. They are a top competitor for GoPro, they look almost identical, they fit in all of the GoPro mounts, and it's 1/3 of the price. 147.99 now. I'm fully satisfied with mine.

The best part is, it has a "Car Mode". Set this, plug in the USB power cable, and it's "set it and forget it". It powers on and starts filming when you turn the key, stops recording and shuts off when your vehicle is off. It overwrites the oldest footage the card too when it fills up. So if there's nothing you want to save, the footage will keep rolling as it overwrites the oldest clips. So for my 32GB card filming at 1080, 60 fps, I get a few days to get that clip transferred to my computer before it's overwritten.

Here's what I bought, and I've got some sample biking footage in the video here too, just for a look at the video quality.

http://amzn.to/1VPJdyi

Here is some footage. Granted, I've touched up the color a bit. Make sure you view in 1080 60 mode for the best view.

13. Likes Glenn liked this post
    More with dashcam footage, this was filmed last night. Crazy microburst in Ogden, I thought the freeway could get shut down, there was a couple of inches of standing water and the Hail was a little nuts. But within @1 minute, it was all gone, and dry looking conditions.

15. Likes jman liked this post
    This was a few months ago, I forgot i had it. FedEx loses a couple of trailers on the freeway. oops

Blog Entries

Here's a question to those people with dashcams: are you worried that the built-in battery (Lithium-Ion) is gonna burst or split wide open when the inside of your cab gets 120degrees (or hotter) during the Utah summers??
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

When I do film my drive, I don't use batteries I just plug it in via adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Here's a question to those people with dashcams: are you worried that the built-in battery (Lithium-Ion) is gonna burst or split wide open when the inside of your cab gets 120degrees (or hotter) during the Utah summers??
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    When I do film my drive, I don't use batteries I just plug it in via adapter.
    I keep a battery in it, but I should do what @bigred72 says and just use the cable. I'm pretty much not even using the battery anyways because in Car Mode, when the cable gets power, it turns the camera on, and when the key shuts power off through the cable, the camera turns off.

Here's something I spotted the other day, a little saTIRE... A truck with a bed full of tires is on the side of the freeway, with a flat tire.

20. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    It's been a while, but I caught an incident on the way to work this morning. Watch the left lane.