Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Grotto canyon by accident

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Random Q for @Court:

Are you the same Cort P and Alphasteve that have completed the W.U.R.L. (Wasatch Ultimate Ridge Linkup), by chance??
    @Court

I read your partners TR of the W.U.R.L. Great job, Way to do something that seems total impossible for most humans.
    Even though you made a nav error in your canyon trip. You diffently have shown you have strong navigation abilities to be able to after no sleep take a solo lead on the final section of the WURL.
    Wow what an accomplishment!
    Be safe out there. I still don't think id ever rap on my 6mm pull cord in less i had gotten my only rappel rope stuck and it was my only way out.
    Sorry I misjudged you after reading the TR you posted first and then deleted.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whansen View Post
    @Court

I read your partners TR of the W.U.R.L. Great job, Way to do something that seems total impossible for most humans.
    Even though you made a nav error in your canyon trip. You diffently have shown you have strong navigation abilities to be able to after no sleep take a solo lead on the final section of the WURL.
    Be safe out there. I still don't think id ever rap on my 6mm pull cord in less i had gotten my only rappel rope stuck and it was my only way out.
    That's what I was thinking too. I agree though, 6mm is tiny even for a CRITTR.

When I read Alphasteves username here, I was thinking where have I seen that username...then it clicked than I did a quick search and later pulled up a Cort P on a WURL report and figured it was these two same guys.

On a side note - A friend and I are planning to do the WURL this fall for the first time and so I read every detail and every account that I can find about it. It looks exhausting! The longest hike I have been on in one day is 28 miles. So just another 8 miles and I'll be good.

We are mostly ready and have hiked probably half of these summits, but after this summer we will have all the summits dialed in. I think we are going to do the Bells Canyon exit as I know that one the best. (If anyone hasn't hiked up Bells Canyon to the upper Reservoir they are missing out on probably a top 5 'best' of salt lake IMO).
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

4. Likes whansen liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whansen View Post
    @Court

Thanks whansen.

I'm definitely rethinking the logic of using the skinny rope. Thanks for the feedback.

Good luck on the wurl Jman.

@jman and @whansen. Court and our friend Spence did the entire WURL a la Jared Campbell original route. (all 27 summits) The hosers chose to do it the week after the Wasatch100, which I had participated in, so my legs were only up for the last quarter to see em to the end. On the last peak (Lone Peak) Court was so strong he was beating me (with fresher legs) up the climb. I am fixing to tick the whole thing off this August or September so lets high five on a summit and tell me where you stashed your water and gels so I can raid em. Court the website for the Tech-Cord says emergency rappelling. I feel safe on the short-non-overhung stuff. Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom and censures. I met a guy climbing in Ogden Canyon tonight who said his friend accidentally went down Grotto and had to rescued due to short ropes.

7. Likes jman, whansen liked this post
    Went up to retrieve my rope today and it looks like someone beat me to the punch...at least there's no trash hanging on the wall right?

9. Likes harness man, jman, alphasteve42 liked this post
    I think it was removed soon after your descent. We were there the week after you posted the story and I couldn't find it or see it from the bottom. That was the same weekend I grabbed @Glenn's rope which was left where Gifford drains into Pine Creek.

i bet it's still there. prolly got blow'd around or something.

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post