Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Canyon Narrows

Bumping this because I want to go here this year if anybody thinks this sounds like a good idea, id love to join your team or make a team. Anybody?
    Delivery smartphone repair
    www.drwobot.com
    www.instagram.com/dadgitdoes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by badwobot View Post
    Anybody?
    I'm interested. While I love to backpack, boating in sound much better to me. Who has a boat and wants to do some seriously cool canyons?

I'll be there the last weekend of April, boating in with 6 other folks.

Sorry boys, but the boat is going to be packed. Y'all can certainly join us that weekend, either by renting a boat or hiking in. We'll start up the canyon on the 29th and stay in there for 3-4 nights. We're going to go thru the main slot, and then perhaps do a day hike up Cummings Mesa.

Hiking in requires a full day backpack starting from Jayi Canyon...no trail, so it's all route finding but quite straightforward. Kelsey's slot book will detail how to get into the canyon once you get there...we'll be camping very close to that exit/entry.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

5. Likes 2065toyota, ScottM liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I'll be there the last weekend of April, boating in with 6 other folks.

Sorry boys, but the boat is going to be packed. Y'all can certainly join us that weekend, either by renting a boat or hiking in. We'll start up the canyon on the 29th and stay in there for 3-4 nights. We're going to go thru the main slot, and then perhaps do a day hike up Cummings Mesa.
    Thanks for the info, Twotimer. Wish I could join you at the end of April, unfortunately work precludes my participation at that time.

Babwobot - I'm still interested in putting a trip together. I can backpack in, but much prefer a boat assist. I am unavailable from 4/16 thru 6/2, but can make anything after that work. I know that is getting late in the season, so if you want to start planning something for this fall, hit me at coloradoclimber97@gmail to discuss. Or anybody else that may be interested for that matter.

PS-I would be down for the Slot Machine Heli assist as well. Hey Slot, what did that cost?

Mark

So I've been trying to get ahold of the permit office for the Navajo Nation and no one answers the phone, not even a voice mail option. They used to have a permit office in Kaibeto and one in Kayenta back in the day, but they're closed now and everything government related in now in Window Rock.

So I called the main Navajo Tourist info number and also Fish and Game and they both directed me to the "no answer phone". Total mass confusion. Several people I talked to knew nothing of it.

Here I am tryin' to give these people money to camp on their land and they have no system for collecting it, huh? I'm going to try one more thing...the Chaper House in Kaibeto. Hopefully someone there is clued in.

Years ago, getting a permit was easy. I know that some of you guys around here know exactly what I'm talking about...any insight would be appreciated.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Did you try (520) 871-6645? It may be (928) 871-6645 or (928) 871-6647 now. Also, the Lechee Chapter House might be able to help you out. (928) 698-2805

9. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Thanks for your input, Mr. Mcweyen. I just tried all those #s and the only one answered, she directed me to call the Lake Powell Tribal Park at 928-698-2808. It's a busy signal...I'll keep trying.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Got it...here it is, boys and girls...928-698-2808. That is THE phone number to get hiking permits in the Navajo Nation. They don't have an online site to prepay, you MUST call this number OR whip into the office, which is located in LeChee (3 miles south of Page) off of Copper Mine Rd. It's 8-4pm weekdays and 7-3 on weekends. You can buy the permit on the spot, even if you're hiking that day.

They'll mail it to you if you call and pay in advance...nothing online.

If you're going to park anywhere in their Nation to hike or backpack, you'd better have that permit. Certainly away from the lake and back in their communities. They live all over the place...not many dead end dirt roads.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

12. Likes kaniukr, ratagonia, 2065toyota liked this post
    Glad it worked out! That's where I had to go to get a permit for Lower Water Holes. Be prepared for there to be nobody at the office. That's a common occurrence from what I was told when I was there.

Well I hope that's not the friggin' case. I'll be picking up the permit the day before we rip out on the boat. I wasted more than a dozen phone calls and two weeks worth of time farting around with this.

Well, that's alright. I'm all learned up now.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Well I hope that's not the friggin' case. I'll be picking up the permit the day before we rip out on the boat. I wasted more than a dozen phone calls and two weeks worth of time farting around with this.

Well, that's alright. I'm all learned up now.
    Sorry it’s been a nightmare for you.

I went to the Lechee office in person to get a waterholes one. But as said in these replies they aren’t always there when they say. Once I was told to go to Antelope canyon for a waterholes permit. I also picked up a coal mine canyon permit once at monument valley visitor centre ( think I may have already paid for it though).
    Alternatively, if she’s still there, at Cameron there was a helpful woman who would email the application forms, then I’d go to any US post office and mail the money order once I landed in the US, and then I’m pretty sure she emailed back the permit. May not be time for that now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend time dealing with the Navajo Nation in regards to anything and you will soon understand why whitey rules the country and the Navajo live in a barren wasteland.

17. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    @qedcook, @badwobot, @Mark Schnupp. I've pm'ed you