Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Canyon Narrows

West Canyon Narrows

On April 12, 2016, Mark Burnham, Tony Long, Sam Goodhue, Jim Clery, Tom Collins, Steph and I took a lap through the extremely scenic West Canyon Narrows.

I was exhausted from our approach hike to West Canyon the day previous, so I slept in for a few hours. The rest of the group hiked the narrows in the morning, then I set out to meet them just after lunch. Soon I ran into the group during their return hike, and predictably they were all having a great time.

I enthusiastically asked, “Who wants to do another lap down the narrows?” Everyone looked eager to get back to camp, except for Tom, who joined me despite his tired legs. We had an excellent hike and I appreciated his company.

Overall, this was a great section of canyon. The water was cold and there was plenty of swimming down narrow corridors. Jumping from the high falls was a riot! The alcoves are awe-inspiring, overhung by 200-300 feet. It was a memorable day and a fine introduction to the West Canyon drainage.

-Bob

Name:  P1030641.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  P1030651.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  152.1 KB

Name:  P1030648.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  139.9 KB

Name:  P1030652.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  127.7 KB

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...n-narrows.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Never heard of this place. Looks awesome & fun. Where did you find your beta at ?

A few more shots from the same day

As you can tell from the pics we spent a lot of time jumping and playing at the water hole that day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    Never heard of this place. Looks awesome & fun. Where did you find your beta at ?
    It's in Lake Powell
    Name:  west canyon.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  78.9 KB

And here are some helpful links:

http://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/powell/westcanyon

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...nyon-mar-2005/

http://backcountrypost.com/threads/west-canyon.3729/ (Great pictures by Nick)
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It was a very fun day. We used the links above plus Mike Kelsey's technical canyoneering book.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

7. Likes hesse15 liked this post
    looks lot of fun!

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Bottom up or top down?

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Bottom up or top down?
    Top down.

I've wanted to do this one for a long time. It looks cool.

A few more photos, courtesy of Mark Burnham.

Name:  IMG_2910.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2912.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2913.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  143.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2915.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2929.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  142.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2935.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2948.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2951.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  151.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2978.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2980.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  149.6 KB

14. Likes nkanarik, Sandstone Addiction, Taylor liked this post
    Hey, @dakotabelliston , how are you doing? Just stumbled on your reply here. Kelsey's 2 books the Colorado Plateau (the hike up from lake to finish of the upper slot) and Technical Slot Canyons (includes the Upper Slot) have descriptions and some photos, as well as the links mentioned above. What stuck wiht me though is that Kelsey rates it as THE best canyon of the hundreds he's done, and others all rate it up there too. So it's been top of my list a long time if you'd ever like to do it. I have a very experienced canyoneer friend who has a boat who has offered to take me, so we haven't started the planning but in my head I'm thinking possibly May 2018. You'll have to get those books (or maybe not, as they'll leave you wanting to do many more!). I'll buy them for you if you want to go, ha, ha!! But seriously if you want, I can photograph and email the pages over?

16. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    @kaniukr you'll have to let me know when you get closer to the time you plan to go

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey Ross!...all jacked up for West Canyon, eh? There's two ways to get there...boat in and hike up or car camp near Navajo Mountain had backpack over.

I would prefer the backpack...I've done it many times and it's magnificent. We could make it to the upper end of West in one long day. Remember how light my pack was when we hiked it Idaho? You'll have to work on getting your pack weight down, as well need wetsuits even if it's hotter than hell...that slot doesn't get much sun. I'll get you through it, so don't worry. It's actually an easy one.

I have no objection to boating in, but if there's more than just you and I then we'll have to chip in an rent a boat. My Zodiac won't move at a reasonable speed with any more than two with gear. Just some food for thought in case you put together a group.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

19. Likes dakotabelliston, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I'll get you through it, so don't worry. It's actually an easy one.

@
    kaniukr , WHOA! ^THAT^ is a generous offer. Don't pass it up!

21. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    "I have no objection to boating in, but if there's more than just you and I then we'll have to chip in an rent a boat. My Zodiac won't move at a reasonable speed with any more than two"

My father in Law and I have talked about doing a multi day west canyon adventure and his boat seats 14 plus a decent amount of cargo. Good speed and great gas mileage/range. If you were interested in adding a couple guys to your group to skip the multi day rental fee let me know! We are Both experienced canyoneers.

23. Likes kaniukr liked this post
    Right on! Looks like were putting together a party! Let's dial it in when the time gets a bit closer. Taking a boat would be a bit quicker than backpacking in, and easier on the body...as we wouldn't have to go into Aztec Creek, up Cummings Mesa and down to West on old, rough sheep trails with heavy packs. We wouldn't have to bother with a permit from the Navajo, although getting one is not such a big deal...something that would certainly have to be done if parked at Navajo Mountain.

Good physical fitness is really the only requisite, as it's a long canyon with obstacles to get around. We'd be away from the boat for two days, maybe three. Running up to Cummings Mesa is recommended.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

25. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    Thanks Utah Canyoneer. I must admit this has all snowballed a bit suddenly and fast as I just started responding to someone here, who I know, who asked about West, and I was interested in the thread as hiking West has been rattling somewhere in my head for a long time, and in the back of my mind I was thinking maybe 2018 after a casual mention some time back to Twotimer. But there were no concrete plans started. I don't live in the US and already have vacation plans for 2017, but I am really aiming to get to the South-West in 2018 which gives planning time. It would really be down to twotimer as he's the experienced guy and I'm not, but your offer sounds a good one and I'll keep it in mind.

27. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    Sign me up if there's still room. I've been wanting to do that one for a while.

29. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    Hi Anthony, I just PM'ed you. I've only been on the lake in a boat a couple of times and it was quite a small rental. I know houseboats can't get further up the narrower Lake Powell canyons, how does the 14-seater get on? I guess it's still much smaller than a houseboat. (although for West Canyon the boat size probably doesn't matter). By the way, I know at "averagey" sort of lake levels you soon hit a neat slot near the bottom of West Canyon - with all the snow this winter does anyone know if that can get drowned over as it looks really nice in photos.

By the way, I know at "averagey" sort of lake levels you soon hit a neat slot near the bottom of West Canyon - with all the snow this winter does anyone know if that can get drowned over as it looks really nice in photos.
    The slot is above the high water mark.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

32. Likes kaniukr liked this post