Thread: Coyote Gulch in June

Coyote Gulch in June

Hello Bogleyites,
    I also posted this on the backpacking forum but I thought there would also be much wisdom here. I'm planning a trip to Coyote Gulch the first week of June with a small group of Boy Scouts. I have a few questions for the those more experienced than I. How cold does it get at night? Would a down blanket with a SOL bivvy be warm enough? What are the bugs like in early June? I hear they can get nasty. Any other advise for a Coyote Gulch trip?
    Thanks ahead of time!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How cold does it get at night?

Not very. It can vary, but usually upper 40's to upper 50's can be expected.

Would a down blanket with a SOL bivvy be warm enough?
    It would for enough for me, but it depends on how cold you sleep.

What are the bugs like in early June?

I don't know about Coyote Gulch specifically in early June (I've always done it in other seasons), but in some other canyons they can be bad. I have been to many canyons in Escalante at that time of year. I'd imagine that between Hurricane Coyote Natural Bridge there might be some. Wearing long pants eliminates most horsefly bites. I think gnats would only be a problem along the river, but maybe someone can add something about Coyote Gulch specifically at that time of year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I have done this trip in early June, 4 years ago. The conditions could be different from when you go, but here goes. The Temps were high 90's during the day and 70's at night. A few of us slept in hammocks and that can mean it is colder, however we still didn't use our sleeping bags. Bugs, none. Didn't even break out the bug spray. Again, results may vary. Best of luck.

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    You guys are awesome! Great information. Thanks for the reply.

One more question: I don't have any experience with the hole in the rock road, how far down the road could a smaller sized motor home make it?

how far down the road could a smaller sized motor home make it?
    If you value your RV, I wouldn't take one down that road. If you went really slow, you may be able to do it, but it would really piss off anyone behind you.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    When the washing machine was invented, all the obsolete washboards were laid out on Hole-in-the Rock Road.

11. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jman liked this post
    There is a nice rv park in Escalante.

14. Likes PhysWiz liked this post
    I was there in late May a couple of years ago. High 80s in the day and in the 60s at night. Bugs were not an issue. Hoping to head back there next year. Have fun!

16. Likes PhysWiz liked this post