Thread: Canyon Techniques

Canyon Techniques

I wanted to start a thread discussing different canyon techniques people use. The question I personally have for people is what are you using for a block on single strand rappels & why? I keep hearing about biner blocks with a clove hitch, figure 8 blocks, & even knot blocks.

I'm trying to improve my canyoneering skills & knowledge & wanted to know what other people are using & why so I can research into it myself. I personally like knowing MANY ways to do one thing. Especially because you never know when you may need a new trick.

Thank you for the input & follow up,

Dakota

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The group i canyon with has been using the fiddle stick more and more. Its great for alot of reasons but it makes pulling your rope after the last rappeller a lot easier. Link to demo set up by Luke below.
    Watch "Fiddlestick Basic Concept" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/qhxrameCBdY

4. Likes deagol liked this post
    https://micrometa.rigginglabacademy....gging-systems/

Very informative.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I use either a biner block or munter hitch 90% of time.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I use either a biner block or munter hitch 90% of time.
    Uhhh...clove hitch or munter hitch?

At a glance, how does one tell which is which?

Thank you guys for the responses. Anyone have reasons why they chose one versus the other?

I guess Brian makes a good point. If you can'take tell the difference you shouldn't be using either. A biner block, biner with clove hitch is a static block. A munter hitch is a releasable. Both are used for single strand rappels.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I guess Brian makes a good point. If you can'take tell the difference you shouldn't be using either. A biner block, biner with clove hitch is a static block. A munter hitch is a releasable. Both are used for single strand rappels.
    Ahhh...thought you meant you blocked your rope with a munter hitch...instead of a clove hitch (on a biner).

A munter/mule is releasable...just a munter would need to be managed actively if not tied off. I'd probably opt for using an ATC and a sling shot belay through the rappel anchor. Less twisty on the rope. And, for rigging for contingency, I'd probably just use a figure eight.

Seems like I dimly recall some folks have accidently blocked the rope with a munter hitch on a biner instead of a clove hitch.

Personally, for me, the times when I'm rappelling single strand is usually off a chain link or small rappel ring and I'm rappelling single from a fairly large diameter rope. Hence, I'll use a figure eight on a bite as a knot block, then, clip the bite back "closing the loop" (in case the block slips through the rap ring or chain link). I like that its smaller profile and easy to untie.

But, I'm more in the minority here as I don't single strand rappel much in canyons.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    Thank you guys for the responses. Anyone have reasons why they chose one versus the other?
    So. Really. The Internet?

Research is good. But you would do much better to go out in the field with a variety of people and see what they do, and ask why they do what they do, and see what works.

The Academy has that free rigging videos which are OK, but...

How things apply in the field is important. The best place to learn these things is in the FIELD!

Tom

12. Likes jman liked this post
    Yup - and its more fun :-) A good dose of sandstone cures all ills.

14. Likes TommyBoy, jman liked this post

My motto, "Any day in a canyon is a good day."

Couldn't agree more. Just wanted more ways for personal research & education. There are so many different techniques. We have been using a biner block with a clove hitch, or a fiddlestick with a stone knot when doing single strand rappels. Ran in to a guy that swears by the use of a figure 8 block & another that swears by a knot block. Big idea was to try and understand different peoples pro's and con's about using various techniques. So far I have not had any trouble using either of my techniques, but it is always good to know more techniques & hear possible cons of the current techniques I am using vs the techniques of others.

18. Likes ratagonia liked this post