Thread: Choprock sneak route?

Choprock sneak route?

Does anyone know of the sneak-route drop in point for Choprock? I'm talking about the spot just before the riparian ballroom.

Thank you in advance for any help.

-Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Question answered. Thanks sent to a friend for sharing!

*case closed*

This information would likely interest many in this community. Would you be able/willing to share with the group?

6. Likes hesse15 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by summitseeker View Post
    This information would likely interest many in this community. Would you be able/willing to share with the group?
    ^^^THIS^^^

And I'd also be interested in knowing the advantage of the sneak route, other than it's shorter. Choprock is a long haul anyway you slice it, so I'm trying to figure out why you would want to cut it short after putting in most of the major work required.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

And I'd also be interested in knowing the advantage of the sneak route, other than it's shorter. Choprock is a long haul anyway you slice it, so I'm trying to figure out why you would want to cut it short after putting in most of the major work required.
    Maybe so the leader can be sure that they get out and back to camp with some light left in the sky. Our longish hike down river and thru scrubby flats back to camp was mostly in the dark. Our start had been delayed by an ill hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by summitseeker View Post
    I asked the original question on behalf of a friend who was seeking to shave four hours from his Choprock day while still seeing the riparian ballroom.

The drop-in point he was looking for is 37°38'51.85"N 111° 8'52.92"W, which only saves about one hour. The rap is about 200 feet from a boulder on the canyon rim. That's not a very sneaky sneak route, better to stick with the traditional route.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

10. Likes jman, ratagonia liked this post
    Blog Entries

Choprock sneak route?

Those cords look like they pass the riparian section.

It drops you in right at the start of the happy section when I use Google Earth.

Or did I type those cords wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by slot machine View Post
    i asked the original question on behalf of a friend who was seeking to shave four hours from his choprock day while still seeing the riparian ballroom.

The drop-in point he was looking for is 37°38'51.85"n 111° 8'52.92"w, which only saves about one hour. The rap is about 200 feet from a boulder on the canyon rim. That's not a very sneaky sneak route, better to stick with the traditional route.
    Testing the google maps embed feature, it's been tricky lately. But the way I've got it working here is I've pasted 37.647736, -111.148026 in between the "map" tags, rather than 37°38'51.85"n 111° 8'52.92"w

Just curious, is this the spot? (may need to click the "earth" or "satellite" view in the lower left of the map to view the terrain)

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Those cords look like they pass the riparian section.

It drops you in right at the start of the happy section when I use Google Earth.
    After looking a bit more closely, yes you are correct. I thought it just bypassed a piece of the riparian, but it actually cuts off the entire thing. Either way, friend #1 did not use friend #2's knowledge of the canyon rim. A good decision IMO.