Thread: West Fork of Moonshine Wash

West Fork of Moonshine Wash

I realized a few weekends ago, after a few short hikes, that I need to get into better hiking shape, so the following weekend I did something about it. I chose the West Fork of Moonshine Wash since it was relatively easy but left open the option for a longer hike. The pups and I started the hike west and a little north of Saucer Basin. An old road led me to a spot where I was able to drop into the wash, where I headed downstream. The watercourse was mostly flat and sandy or gravelly, but I encountered a few places where it narrowed up and dropped suddenly. The first such spot I climbed out of the canyon to bypass it. Another the dogs and I were able to downclimb easily. Yet another required me to climb out of the canyon and walk the rim for half a mile before I could drop back in. I regret not getting to see that part of the canyon, but at the time I didn't want to add another mile to the hike.

Descent into the canyon

West Fork of Moonshine Wash

Small potholes that required a bypass on the right

A cow

Lupine blooms

Shallow, sandy alcove with a natural arch

Easy-to-downclimb narrows

Boulder and Torrey in a pool

Impassable potholes

Dogs above the West Fork of Moonshine Wash

Back in the canyon

I found another mylar balloon--the latest of many this year--that I packed out with me. The lower portion of the west fork held several short side canyons, many of which had springs and/or alcoves at their heads. I hadn't intended to hike all the way to the moonshine tanks, where supposedly moonshine was made during prohibition, but when I got within a mile of there I decided to press on. I'd hiked to the moonshine tanks once before, 11 years ago, but I took a much shorter route then. Nothing much has changed, except I think the climb back up the ledge just upstream from the tanks has gotten more difficult.

Get Well Soon

Spring water in a fork

Ice in perpetual shade

Short side canyon

Alcove in a short side canyon

Rockfall

Above the moonshine tanks

Hanging cactus

Trowel at the moonshine tanks

Moonshine tanks

Boulder going for a swim

Difficult climb above the tanks

After leaving the moonshine tanks I took a small fork that quickly climbed to the west and had a couple of branches to explore. Finding nothing of interest there, I exited the canyon system and headed toward the road. I was really disappointed that I hadn't seen a single sign of historic or prehistoric occupation. I'd hoped to find some inscriptions, rock art, flint--anything really--that told part of the story about earlier inhabitants. During the walk to the road I was surprised to actually find a worked piece of flint that had been discarded before being finished. At least it was something. Once I reached the road, the hike back to my vehicle was a slog! The dogs and I were exhausted but feeling good after a hard workout once we arrived at the Jeep. The GPS registered exactly 10 miles for the hike. It was more than I'd planned for the day, though I was glad to have covered most of the West Fork of Moonshine Wash in a single trip.

Difficult upclimb in the exit fork

Slotty

Alcove at Moonshine Spring

La Sals over the San Rafael Desert

The climb up to the road

Ooh, a pretty rock!

Starting the two-mile road walk back to the Jeep

The Cone

La Sal Mountains

Boulder and Torrey resting

10 miles

Interesting alignment of the Flat Tops and Henry Mountains