Thread: Sandthrax camp airstrip

Sandthrax camp airstrip

Hi all,
    If anyone is going by car to Sandthrax, I could do with a Recce of the airstrip close to the Sandthrax campsite. [I have called it the Sandtrax airstrip; it has no official name]. You may see from the attached GE image that it's close to the 95/276 junction.

It's probably over 2 years now since I have driven along it, so I would like to ask if anyone in the area over the next 5 weeks or so could have a look at for me, and take some pictures.

(above: GE image). It's now part of a road, but was one of the many airstrips created during the mining boom of the 40's and 50's, and it still exists as a runway.

The photo below is what it looked like in Sep 2013, when I last saw it.

If it is safe to drive down it at 40mph in an average car, without bumping your head on the roof, I'd appreciate a report.

Best wishes,
    Rob

I

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Aww, I was just there last weekend. Wish I'd known, would have checked it out for you.

Bump.

I'll be there in about 4 weeks time.

I'd also like to land on Highway 95 and park next to Shane's sign for a photo, but it'll have to be a very short stop before the Utah Highway Patrol Constables come along and shoo me along.

Rob

6. Likes Iceaxe, 2065toyota liked this post
    Delete..my 2017 edit stayed in 2016. Move on:

8. Likes ratagonia, jman liked this post
    It took me until 2017 to achieve my small ambition. I chickened out on landing on 95 (too many witnesses), but I did do a "touch-and-go" at what I call "Sandthrax" airstrip near the 95/276 intersection.

This is in a 65hp machine...like a VW beetle with no excess power at all, but despite the density altitude performed quite well!

Go to to 3:11 for Sandthrax strip; just keep going for a few more seconds to the end to see who's not waving from the Irish canyons, miserable bastards

Rob

I drove down your "airstrip" about 2 months ago doing about 50 mph. I don't recall any potholes or dips. Scott Matthys was in the car behind me and able to keep up which suggest it wasn't just my crazy driving. I was actually surprised at the condition of the strip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I flew past the campsite, it looked an awful lot better than when I had last been there by road (I think 2014) when it washed away by a flash-flood?).

Name:  P1060824.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  117.3 KB

I still want to land on that road at Sandthrax and park up. Maybe next year.

Rob