Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help? Canyoneers opinions needed.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    As one of the largest retailers (and wholesalers) of canyoneering equipment, I have considered (ruminated, fantasized about) making canyoneering clothing.

My first interest would be in canyoneering specific wetsuits. I have not pursued this for many of the reasons mentioned above, and because I realized that given reasonable minimums, a failure of the product would bring down my very small company. Maybe 5 years from now, but what we are doing now with wetsuits works fine, so maybe not for a long time.

But you are talking regular clothing. I would do everything I can to assist you, but I am not optimistic.

I think success is unlikely, for all the reasons stated above. Small run, specialized clothing is inherently expensive, and the market is flooded with inexpensive, but quite good clothing that almost works. I realize you have considerable financial and emotional investment in this project at this point, but success seems unlikely. I can help you bring it to production and bring it to market in a way that requires the least amount of capital. Feel free to shoot me an email if you'd like to talk specifics: ratagonia at gmail dot com.

The only model I can see working is like Arborwear, which was briefly extremely fashionable with the Outdoor Industry. Not sure what happened with them. The idea was that extremely tough clothing made for tree workers translated into tough outdoor clothing for general adventurers. As I recall, I got a pair of pants that almost survived a weekend in North Wash.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FWIW- I've found paddling clothing often works really well for those wanting to look a little more stylish while canyoneering and not necessarily concerned with cost.

Paddling clothes always have a reinforced seat, are quick dry, and have large conveniently located pockets.

When I'm in a store that carries whitewater gear I always swing by the bargin bin to see if there is anything I can make use of.

Also watch the fishing section for shirts as they often work well for canyoneers with great sun protection, quick dry and lots of big pockets.

I guess my point is there is already some descent clothing available if blowing the dust off the wallet is not a big issue.

Your mileage may very.

I really like the idea of specialized canyoneering pants, especially something along the lines of 3/4 length, knicker style shorts that cover the knee
    I am really rough on my canyoneering clothes or maybe it is the other way around - the canyons are rough on me.
    I am over 200 pounds with spider legs and arms and I use the embrace, squeeze, cling, slide and smear techniques to get thru most canyons.
    The more inches I can keep on the rock the safer I feel. That comes at a price
    I can tear up four to five pairs of canyoneering pants in one season.
    I can easily go through 3 pairs of butt pads in a season.
    Rarely or usually not at all do I find anything of my size at the DI/thrift store. I have to pay to get something that fits.
    I have to pay to get something that will last. So I wouldn't mind paying for something that works. I am paying now already.
    I like the 3/4 pants style because it allows me to put knee pads and knee braces on with ease.
    I like the fact that your design does not have pockets under the harness.

They would of course have to be styling, come in a multiple choice of colors, be easy to clean and dry and not lose their shape over time.
    An elastic waist band would be nice too on those days in the canyon after a big eating fest the night before.

Doug F.
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

This thread sucks without any pictures!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Quick reply from my side....

I think a canyoneering wetsuit will be a good option. Make it flexible but reinforced where it needs to be and I'm curious. Currently I wear hyperflex, which works fine. In canyons I may need additional knee and elbow pads, my ass being is already being protected by such a diaper thing on my harness.

Pants may be oke as well, however as mentioned before, different types of canyons create different demands on the gear. On top of an already relative small group of possible customers...

Wishing you good luck!
    :-)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    This thread sucks without any pictures!!!!!!!
    okay...

Name:  PA140318.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  134.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Likes jman liked this post
    this is an interesting idea, but I wonder if the volume of canyoneers would be enough. Also, if there were enough canyoneers to support an enterprise like this, would that correspond to a crushing load on the canyons themselves?

I don't claim to know the answer and am not sure what I would do. But in the meantime, I have gone to the thrift store as others have recommended and am amazed at what you can pick up for less than $10

buy cheap pants and spray truck bedliner on them?

Would you buy clothing specifically designed and marketed to canyoneers? Not really.
    What features would be important for you to see or have in such clothing? Rip and mud proof