Thread: Jetboil, who has one?

Jetboil, who has one?

I'm finally getting around to buying a Jetboil personal cooking system, and I see different models. What's the main difference between the models like Flash, Zip, MiniMo... is it just water capacity?

Which would you recommend?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

keep your receipt and try it out at 6,000 ft in winter

my original model, despite replacing the burner and igniter, refuses to light on winter trips

what a POS

works great in warm weather - duh!

so I bought a Pocket Rocket and use it with a small pot and matches. Works every time.

I've used my first edition jetboil in winter at 11,000 feet with no problems. The new ones are designed even better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you want to save weight and space (and probably $$) you might want to look into a different option. My cooking set up consists of an MSR Micro Rocket (comes with an igniter) and the GSI Halulite Minimalist which comes with an ultralight hard anodized pot, insulated sleeve, sipper lid, pot gripper and fpoon. You can fit a small fuel canister, the micro rocket and igniter, and all the cooking components inside the pot with the lid on, and the whole thing is a little larger than half the size of a Nalgene bottle and under 10oz (not including fuel) and about $70. A lot of your major outdoor stores carry both components and you can put the system together in the store to see how you like it.

6. Likes Kuya liked this post
    I have one of the originals and by itself only good for boiling water...then I got the adapter to put normal pots on top and it became my go-to stove for backpacking unless I really needed to shed weight. The orginal didn't hav any non-stick capabilities and would burn food to the sides, like, oatmeal and chili.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akavalun View Post
    If you want to save weight and space (and probably $$) you might want to look into a different option. My cooking set up consists of an MSR Micro Rocket (comes with an igniter) and the GSI Halulite Minimalist which comes with an ultralight hard anodized pot, insulated sleeve, sipper lid, pot gripper and fpoon. You can fit a small fuel canister, the micro rocket and igniter, and all the cooking components inside the pot with the lid on, and the whole thing is a little larger than half the size of a Nalgene bottle and under 10oz (not including fuel) and about $70. A lot of your major outdoor stores carry both components and you can put the system together in the store to see how you like it.
    I likee...

I was just looking up your suggestions and I like it so far.

How long does one of those MSR fuel canisters last ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Ya know, I've never really taken a close look. I usually have an extra one of those fuel canisters lying around, so when it feels like its getting light, I switch it out for a new one so I don't run out when I'm backpacking. Then I just use up the mostly empty ones if I'm cooking at the truck so if I run out, I'm not many miles away. I typically use them for the Mountain House meals, and I bet I can cook 6-8 of those on a small can. Again, that's totally just a guess. I'm sure there's gotta be some specs around that show how long those canisters will burn for.

10. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akavalun View Post
    Ya know, I've never really taken a close look. I usually have an extra one of those fuel canisters lying around, so when it feels like its getting light, I switch it out for a new one so I don't run out when I'm backpacking. Then I just use up the mostly empty ones if I'm cooking at the truck so if I run out, I'm not many miles away. I typically use them for the Mountain House meals, and I bet I can cook 6-8 of those on a small can. Again, that's totally just a guess. I'm sure there's gotta be some specs around that show how long those canisters will burn for.
    Thanks for the info. That's a lot to go off actually.

And that's what I'll use this for - boil water for Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'm finally getting around to buying a Jetboil personal cooking system, and I see different models. What's the main difference between the models like Flash, Zip, MiniMo... is it just water capacity?

Which would you recommend?
    I have one and really like it. I have not had problems with it in elevations around 10,000 ft. It does take a little longer to heat the water when that high.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have used the Jetboil & other backpacking cooking devices. The jetboils are nice, & I have found that they are the quickest. However; if you ever need to clean them or want to cook other objects ex: fresh caught fish etc, you I would not recommend. I personally use the Optima Tera Crux weekend cookset. It's big enough that it compacts everthing inside including 8 oz fuel, burner, lighter. It comes in 2 pieces, pot & pan. I like this allowing me to use 1 as a cup for coffee or tea while using the other for meal prep or even cooking other items. Because it doesn't have the sleave on it I find it slightly easier to clean. I timed it against my jetboil & it lost my a whopping 10-15 seconds.