Thread: Upper vs. Lower Calf Creek Falls (with kiddos)

Upper vs. Lower Calf Creek Falls (with kiddos)

Hey guys,

This has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I couldn't find anything concrete. I'm taking my boys down to Escalante this weekend and we were thinking about hiking Lower Calf Creek Falls. However, my boys (4 & 7) are a little bit lacking in the mental endurance for most hikes. Ironically, they can walk 9 miles at Disneyland without a whisper of complaint, but I fear the 6 mile round trip in LCCF will be a bit much.

That being said, I've never hiked into the Upper Falls. How do they compare in terms of the length and difficulty of hike? Which one would be more entertaining for the kids?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The hike to the Upper Falls is shorter, but also steeper and harder. It isn't bad at all, but if you were looking for the easier of the two, it would be the Lower Falls.

If it's only the length you are concerned with and not the difficulty, they may enjoy the trail to the Upper Falls.

Although I like both, I'd say the Lower Falls is probably more scenic (though both are very scenic), if that is a consideration.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    The hike to the Upper Falls is shorter, but also steeper and harder. It isn't bad at all, but if you were looking for the easier of the two, it would be the Lower Falls.

If it's only the length you are concerned with and not the difficulty, they may enjoy the trail to the Upper Falls.

Although I like both, I'd say the Lower Falls is probably more scenic (though both are very scenic), if that is a consideration.
    Good info Scott. Honestly, I think the shorter, but more difficult is better for them. I'll mull it over.

The Lower Falls are the ones you want. Give each of your kids a hiking staff and it instantly adds 5 miles to any kids mileage.

When my kids were little I'd just go down to the hardware store and buy a 3/4" wood dowell. Drill a hole through the top and put an assesory cord loop through the top. Id then let the kids color or decorate their stick. It works like a charm for increasing mileage.

6. Likes 2065toyota liked this post