Thread: Hiking Sidestep Canyon and White Valley near Big Water

Hiking Sidestep Canyon and White Valley near Big Water

Hi all, haven't posted in a while. Got a trip planned mid April to do some things based out of Stateline CG. Checkout some stuff around Rim Rocks and Wahweap Hoodoos one day. I know the north routes are closed, so it will have to be in from Big Water. I think I have that part figured out.
    So...... Hoping I won't be hoodooed out, I was thinking of Sidestep Canyon and White Valley another day. Would you access this from Big Water and hike up canyon to Sidestep or go up from Church Wells and climb up from there? Just trying to put some plan together.
    We have other things to explore off HRV rd is why we're camping Stateline.
    Would love a little input please. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Has anyone even hiked up from Church Wells to Chimney Rock, White Rocks (Valley) or Upper Side Step canyon? Seems like everyone that has posted pictures of this area, managed to use the "now closed" administrative rd from the top and north. This is no longer an option, unless someone knows different.
    Just trying to get an idea of how much you can see up there in a day, and how difficult it may be, to get between areas. I was really hoping I might get some info here, before I talk to the BLM Visitor Ctr people. Any input?

Well alrighty then!! I guess "we" will be the new "experts" at hiking up to Sidestep and White Rocks (if we don't get too lost), when we head to this area in about 2-1/2 weeks.

So.... we'll be exploring it from the Rimrocks all the way to Wahweap Cr and....... in between for a couple days. Will gladly take any helpful insight on the general area.

Wahweap Hoodoos
    Name:  IMG_7553.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  83.4 KB

Thought I'd throw a little input into this area behind Church Wells. I did not get up to that specific area on this trip because of huge winds. Would not have been a good choice that particular day. Information is available at Big Water BLM office. You can also see Chimney Rock from hwy to give you bearings between the White Valley and Sidestep canyon. Good info in Laurent Martres book Photographing the Southwest Vol 1 too. Did get over to the Rim Rocks across from Paria Station later the same day when the wind got down to a dull roar. Spent a day at Wahweap hoodoos earlier in the week.