Thread: Headphones, or just a Trail Hog?

Headphones, or just a Trail Hog?

Sometimes it seems like the clash between trail runners and mountain bikers is present with some people.

It's a crowded trail so I don't mind stopping and giving the right of way. I'm always quick to pull over if somebody is coming up behind me, down or uphill.

I can't quite figure out if this running couple, especially the dude was wearing headphones and couldn't hear me, or he just wanted me to wait. The woman turned around and saw me right at the intersection, thinking it would be a good place to step aside for half a second and let me and @accadacca pass, but the guy motioned to keep going.

If he was wearing headphones, that explains it. But if you wear headphones while on a busy trail, you need to constantly look behind you or wear a mirror. How else will you know to step aside?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd like to kick everyone wearing headphones on a popular trail right in the nuts.
    /end discussion

4. Likes geckobiker, REDFOX, bigred72, tallsteve liked this post
    I've told this story before but, a couple of years ago I was pedaling up the #252 trail in AF Canyon. A trail runner was in front of me going up the same direction. I wanted to pass him but, he had headphones in and couldn't hear me. I was right on his heels and kept calling out louder and louder if I could pass. I got to the point where I was pretty much screaming my final attempt and he still couldn't hear me (I could hear his music coming from his ear-buds). I ended up tapping him on the heel with my front tire which startled him to death. When he started to get pissy with me I let him know that maybe it's not such a good idea to have the tunes cranked up so loud that you have no clue what's going on around you. What would you do in the case?
    Are we there yet?

Yeah you've gotta be aware of people passing you on the trail, unless you are so confident that you're such a fine runner cuz you're doing it for charity and world peace, and there's no way somebody could come up behind you.

Whenever I want to listen to music, I just play it from my phone speaker in my pocket, share the tunes on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'd like to kick everyone wearing headphones on a popular trail right in the nuts.
    /end discussion
    Sing it sistah'! Somehow it's my fault when I scare the piss out of a runner after I've been trying to get their attention for 5 minutes. The sounds of the outside world really aren't awful to have to put up with.

Even without headphones I still look back periodically, especially when I have my 11 year old with me. I must be old fashioned, but the last thing I want to do is be in someone's way. We used to call it trail etiquette...

You can also add MTB riders wearing ear buds to the "I'm a dumbass" list, it's not just a hiker/trail runner issue.

10. Likes geckobiker liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You can also add MTB riders wearing ear buds to the "I'm a dumbass" list, it's not just a hiker/trail runner issue.
    I wear headphones all the time. Here is the difference:

1. 90% of the time that I am riding, there is hardly anyone on the trails.
    2. I rarely have anyone pass me on the trail. Maybe once or twice a year.

I LOVE passing the guys with jerseys and spandex too. That MAKES my day! haha

I stick by my original comment.

I only wear one headphone so I can hear the tunes and the people behind me
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"

14. Likes REDFOX liked this post