Thread: Egypt 1, 1.5, 2, 3

Egypt 1, 1.5, 2, 3

We had our first trip to Escalante this weekend. It was a good time. We did:

Egypt 1
    Egypt 1.5
    Egypt 2
    Egypt 3
    Spencer

I will put some pics together. Thx for all the help and advice. Definitely a lot different than the zion stuff we are used to

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Sweet!! Looking forward to some Egypt TRs besides just the usual E3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Sweet!! Looking forward to some Egypt TRs besides just the usual E3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I went there again egypt 3 would be my last choice of the 4 we did. It's narrow, tight and way cool, but I liked 1, 1.5 & 2 better

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. Likes jman liked this post
    Thursday evening Devin and I left St. George about 3:00 and headed towards Escalate to the Excursions Of Escalante Rendezvous. My son Kyler drove down from UVU and we met in Panguitch and he jumped in with us to continue on. Having never been to the area before, we had decided the rendezvous would be a good starting ground to start learning the area. The campground at the Petrified Forest was reserved for the group of 54 people that had signed up for the event.

Camp was set up, and we all sat around the fire for way too long chatting, interacting and getting to know a new group of strangers soon to become friends. It was about midnight before we actually went to bed knowing we were getting up at 630 to get going again. It was a little chilly, but no too bad.

At 7:00, we all met at Rick Green's business, Excursions of Escalante to have a quick safety meeting. After the meeting, some white boards were set out with canyon ideas to go to. We initially signed up for Egypt 3, but were the only ones that did, and noticed that Chris, Jim and Lisa were the only ones signed up for 1.5, so decided to swap canyons and head out with them.

After a some quick directions on how to find the canyon, we set out on the 30 minute or so drive. The egypt canyons ended up be very easy to find and dissect which one is which. As we started heading out, Rick pulled up to make sure we good and give some encouraging words. He had wanted to check the anchor on the first rap so he wandered down to the first rap or optional chimney downclimb. The downclimb looks a little intimidating, but really is not that difficult at all. Our group of 3 slid down the crack while the other 3 set up and rapped in. At that point the canyon looked to inviting and Rick decided to jump into the group and come with us.

Egypt 1.5 is fun little canyon. A few small raps. Lots of potholes with easy escapes. A few small narrow sections that force you up off the ground a little bit. Tons for partner assists and captures. Round trip time including the hike out was around 3 hours or so. Definitely should be on the to do list if you havn't done in already.

Egypt 1

After completing Egypt 1.5 and hiking back up the vehicles it was only about 12:00. Rick had to head out to check on other groups and make sure everything was ok. Jim had taken a little slip in the canyon and had tweaked his wrist, so him and Lisa were going to head back into town. We all looked at Chris and told him he had to decide now. Head back into town, or jump in with us for whatever we decided to do next. Egypt 1 was decided on and we convinced him to tag along. This was about the time, that Devin named the Egypt series as "drive thru canyoneering". As it was only a 2 minute drive from Egypt 1.5 trailhead to the Egypt 1 trailhead.

Egypt starts rights off with short rap RDC off a sling from a tree. For being so close, it is amazing at how completely different it was from Egypt 1.5. The canyon is pretty fun with tons of features and curvy lines. Has a couple of raps. Some easy downclimbs. A couple of fun slides.

Egypt 1 is much easier canyon that 1.5, but we were a little disappointed from how much it had been talked up. We kept a pretty good pace, not really trying to rush, and even with the hike out it was only 1:15. Unless somebody really wanted to do it, I probably won't be doing this one again, although very glad we did it once.

Egypt 2

With our second canyon of the day done and it still being only around 1:30, we decided why not. We are already here and we have plenty of time to do another "drive thru canyon". So we head down the road, passing our last adventure of 1.5 and then arriving at the head of Egypt 2. As we pull up, we see that the group that had started there earlier this morning, had still not made it back out of Egypt 2 and their rope was still rigged for the 280' entry rap. I had my 320' ready to set up, but that seemed redundant since there was already a rope hanging there.

Chris looked over the edge and expressed his concern for heading down into the canyon at 2:00 since none of had been there and he had never done a long rap before. I did my best convincing job I could letting him know he would have a belay, and I clipped into the rope and headed down. Kyler comes down, Devin comes down, but no Chris. I come to find out, just as Devin was getting ready to help him get on rope, Jim and Lisa from earlier drove past as they had decided to do road exploring rather than head back to Escalante. Chris's anxiousness got the best of him, and he jumped at the opportunity and left with them.

So now we are down to the 3 of us. We make pretty good time going down the canyon. Spend some time taking a few pics, and just really enjoing being there. This is Friday and we are supposed to be at work, so that makes it even better. About halfway through the canyon we start discussing something I had read before about going down Egypt 2, then ascending Egypt 3, skipping the very last wet section of 3 because it has 1 rap that can't be upclimbed.

Egypt 2 starts getting narrow and then stays narrow for extended period of time. I would guess for 20 or 30 minutes you are weaving through a some very tight and windy sections. Of the Egypt's that we have done thus far, this is by far our favorite. A way scenic big rap, some downclimbs and a long narrow section.

We get to the exit of Egypt and stop to eat a little food, drink some water, and discuss our options to get back to the car. The hour slickrock hike back or the 3 to 6 hours ascent of Egypt 3. None of us had done 3, so we really didn't know how to judge the diffuculty or the time factor involved. We had headlamps, and it being dark really isn't that big of a deal. Around 15 or 20 minutes is spent discussing it, and we decide to just take the direct slickrock exit home. We knew at 6:00 that Rick was providing a big dinner for us so we beelined back to the vehicles. Egypt 2 uses the same upper exit as Egypt 1.5, so it was nice being able to see where we were trying to get to from the beginning and we made short order of the climb out of the canyons for our third exit hike up the hill of the day. I think it was around 530 when we got there for a canyon time of around 3 hours.

Without a lot of effort we got 3 canyons in on the first day, and had we gotten an earlier start could have done the 4th as an ascent of Egypt 3. After doing Egypt 3 a few days later, I'm glad we made the decision to not go up that evening as it would have been very late when getting up, and I'm not sure that we could have figured out how to get up the slickrock ridge at night with never have been there before.

Down 2 and up 3, with an earlier start is definitely doable though, and that will be our next route if end up in the Egypt 2 canyon again

Three canyons during your first day in the area? Nice!!

Thanks for sharing.

10. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Egypt 3

Sunday we only had about a half day planned so we could get camp broke and head back home. The plan was to head over and do Micro Death Hollow, but after finding out there were at least 9 other people going over there also we decided to head a different direction. That's just a lot of standing around and waiting to get a big group down the first 280' rap. Since we had already considered doing Egypt 3 a couple of days before but never did, we jumped in the truck and the 3 of us headed over. There was a few other people that were considering joining us, but decided not to because of the narrow sections of the canyon. We made decent time route finding into the canyon and heading down. Egypt 3 is really cool because of the sculpted rock, and narrows, but I probably won't be in there again unless it's an up route from Egypt 2, or whatever group I'm with really wants to do it. It was about a 3.5 to 4 hour leisurely trip and hike out, back to the campground to gather our stuff and on the road.

These weekends and trips are always too short.

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Thanks for the report. Never been need to get down there.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

14. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    I'll be in escalante with a group of 6 this weekend. Hitting up Neon, & can't decide between micro death hollow or Egypt 2. Looks like a great time ! I Propsed to my wife at the mouth of Egypt 3. Looking over the cliff.

16. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I'll be in escalante with a group of 6 this weekend. Hitting up Neon, & can't decide between micro death hollow or Egypt 2. Looks like a great time ! I Propsed to my wife at the mouth of Egypt 3. Looking over the cliff.
    @dakotabelliston

I prefer MDH over E2 because it is a prettier canyon.

I've heard there is a monster pothole at the bottom of rap #1 in MDH that was buried when we visited, so be prepared to escape if you go.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I've seen it in full keep mode and it is a problem because there is a long gentle slope that makes any sort of throw and capture very hard. I had my 6'4 partner standing on my shoulders with a boost to defeat it. Report I heard was that it was filled in thus far this season but always changing