Thread: Meanwhile.......in Louisiana.......

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Meanwhile.......in Louisiana.......

Lots and lots of rain down here with rivers reaching record setting levels. I am fortunate not to be in an area that is having water issues, but I do have one of my property listings ( residential building lots) that can now be relisted as waterfront property. I smell a price reduction!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Iceaxe liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    You do like those flood planes, lady.

There is much I love about the deep South - I grew up here. But Utah became my home for more than 17 yrs and I miss being out west. Winters can run too long at times, but for the most part the weather is wonderful (barring winter inversion!) I never planned to be back here in Louisiana for as long as I have been, but you never know what life has in store for you. Make the best of things - always.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Likes Glenn, tanya, jman liked this post
    Could be funny if it weren't serious. Now they've got I-10 closed at the Texas/Louisiana border (Sabine River record flooding) and looks like it'll be closed for the rest of the week. Wow.
    http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/me...s/09-2016.html

8. Likes tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Could be funny if it weren't serious. Now they've got I-10 closed at the Texas/Louisiana border (Sabine River record flooding) and looks like it'll be closed for the rest of the week. Wow.
    http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/me...s/09-2016.html
    I just heard from friends that had to take an alternate route home to New Orleans from Houston because of the closure. From what the news is reporting, looks like the I-10 east from Slidell to the MS border could be facing a shut down as well if the Pearl River keeps rising. No rain for a few days has helped some, but all of the water coming down from the northern part of the state is keeping water levels high. And, unfortunately, we are getting more rain starting tomorrow.

Bogley BigShot
    Rain precipitation is annoying and dangerous, but what is worse is the mold, fungi and other bacterial agents that are forming. Why do you live in this areas, instead of in Draper, or Sandy or wherever it was you use to? Although that thought just made me think of the disgusting air there, and - well, I'd take the bad air, because not everyone can live in the place I do where it is dry, clean and almost pristine - because water is scarce and that's why I stay.

11. Likes savanna3313 liked this post
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I saw this morning that caskets are now floating around and it could take weeks to retrieve and identify. Just terrible...
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Rain precipitation is annoying and dangerous, but what is worse is the mold, fungi and other bacterial agents that are forming. Why do you live in this areas, instead of in Draper, or Sandy or wherever it was you use to? Although that thought just made me think of the disgusting air there, and - well, I'd take the bad air, because not everyone can live in the place I do where it is dry, clean and almost pristine - because water is scarce and that's why I stay.
    Family issues brought me back to Louisiana. Long story............ Since I was a child and my parents brought our family to Utah nearly every summer, I preferred the dry West to Louisiana. But as I said, we sometimes have to deal with what life has handed to us - at least temporarily. You are correct about the dangers of after the flooding has subsided. Bacteria, boil water warnings in effect, everything in sight getting sprayed down with bleach......the list goes on and on. A lot of the people that were flooded out this time live in areas not prone to flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I saw this morning that caskets are now floating around and it could take weeks to retrieve and identify. Just terrible...
    Very sad indeed. After Katrina, this was a major issue. One reason why the majority of the cemeteries in S La have raised crypts or mausoleums. The early settlers to the area found out early that digging down 6' here will only strike water.

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313 View Post
    Very sad indeed. After Katrina, this was a major issue. One reason why the majority of the cemeteries in S La have raised crypts or mausoleums. The early settlers to the area found out early that digging down 6' here will only strike water.
    Yep; I was actually born in New Orleans and my grandparents are buried there.. above ground. It's just a little creepy.

16. Likes tanya liked this post