Thread: Need help on a graphics card for an older Dell Optiplex 960.

Need help on a graphics card for an older Dell Optiplex 960.

I think my graphics card bit the dust, and I need a new one. This should be pretty easy for most people, but of the three different ones that I have tried they won't fit.

There are some capacators / heat syncs right by the graphics card slot, so , if the fan sits too low on the card, it won't fit all the way in. I've tried some from my other computers, to see f this is the issue, but they are too long, too tall, or too wide.

So, I was hoping some one here would be able to point me in the right direction.

The HD cover can be removed, for more width, but then there are the capacators that get in the way if the fan is too low on the card.

Here is pics of what the box looks like.
    ATTACH]83059[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd need a few more pictures for reference, is this a small form factor machine? Which slot are you trying, the white on the right?

I also think the small black slot on the bottom left of the picture is a type of video card slot.

Is the problem that you're trying regular sized video cards in a low profile case?

To be honest, when it comes to modifying the box just to make a video card fit, you're better off just getting a new machine with a nice new processor, new ram, new graphics card, and use the same monitor.

You might be interested in the compute sticks now, it's basically a computer that fits on an hdmi stick that plugs into the TV hdmi slot. just over 100 bucks. I'm not exactly sure of the specs for your older machine, but this may be comparable.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Boxed-Co...=compute+stick

You just buy a keyboard and mouse and your set?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'd need a few more pictures for reference, is this a small form factor machine? Which slot are you trying, the white on the right?

I also think the small black slot on the bottom left of the picture is a type of video card slot.

Is the problem that you're trying regular sized video cards in a low profile case?
    It is a small form factor machine. The original video card slot is the one next to the white one.
    It's for the kiddies to do homework. So not too much $ invested in the machine.

Here are some more pictures with the sound card out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk