Thread: Gps iPhone app

Gps iPhone app

Does anyone know an app for the iPhone that is a gps but doesn't require cellular coverage. Or is it better to just get a gps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by levifackrell View Post
    Does anyone know an app for the iPhone that is a gps but doesn't require cellular coverage. Or is it better to just get a gps?

Earthmate Delorme. $29.99 annual. I installed it and the maps are pretty darn good!

4. Likes Slot Machine, ratagonia liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I use the Topo app for the past 5 years or so and has worked flawlessly offline. You download the maps before hand (USGS Topo maps) and once they are, they are there permanently.

the top-left corner app is the one I'm referring to.

The app is about $6 or $8 but is worth it in my opinion. Coupled with a Lifeproof case and it works well for the canyon environment.

I bring battery chargers for the phone out in the desert too. Plus I have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel to power the devices in the desert and mountains.

However, I do have a dedicated GPS that allows me to use aerial views (think Google Earth) on the screen which is awesome. But you are looking at $400 or so for that.

●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes Slot Machine, nkanarik, ratagonia liked this post
    This app is boss, and it is free. A great way to use an old iPhone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/you-...415545903?mt=8

8. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    I'd say like @jman does, there will be a lot of simple GPS apps but just download the maps and keep them offline prior to your trip. GPS doesn't require Cell service to work, and it will be pointing on offline maps just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    This app is boss, and it is free. A great way to use an old iPhone.
    I don't have an iPhone. I pee standing up

I know the original question was about iPhones, but I'll chime in for Androids on the off chance anyone reading this is looking for a good Android app to do the same thing. I use GPS Essentials (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sentials&hl=en). It does offline maps with several different options (Google satellite, hybrid, terrain, standard, etc.). But my favorite part is that I can save kml files from Google Earth or the internet, copy them to my phone, and open them in GPS Essentials so I don't have to type coordinates in one-by-one on my phones. So for example, I can load the Super Amazing Canyoneering Map onto my phone in just a couple taps or download tracks from climb-utah or other awesome websites, my own included . Great app.

Blog Entries

Gps iPhone app

Here's just a follow up with the app to those who care or are interested:

So once the app is open, go the state you are wanting, find the Quadrangle that the beta says that you will need, download it by holding your finger on top of it for a sec (or do a batch download of multiple ones) and that's it! And here's a few pics in action:

And this is the closest you can zoom in.

Then press the "location" icon in the bottom-left hand corner (the circle-looking icon) to use your GPS locator and it will find you within 35feet of accuracy and place a pulsating blue dot on the map.

FYI - In GPS terms, a units accuracy is called "resolution". And the iPhone has a resolution of 35+/- feet. And newer GPS models are only getting more accurate, especially with the inclusion of the GLOSNAS (Russia) GPS satellites.

Anyway - Our first time through Kolob Canyon it was very helpful in making sure we found the correct road and fork in the road via the MIA exit.

In fact, using the Topo map vs. Shane's (climb-Utah) map we shaved off anywhere from 30-45mins using a more direct road rather than a winding one. (I'll need to show you that Shane or you can compare your exit to Toms on CUSA.)

And while walking out, I had the phone in my hand with the coordinates already inputted and we were easily able to choose the correct fork without stopping or looking at a printed map. I can pull the app up, see my current location, get a quick bearing sense, all within 10-15 seconds or so. It was seamless and everyone in my group thought I was a navigating expert. :)

And while no one doubts the reliability and effectiveness of a printed map...this day and age, the phone GPS combo is the standard. Time to adapt! (well...while the battery lasts anyway!!)

With that said though, you HAVE to know how to read a map! This just puts the printed map in my hand and can locate me on the map in 10seconds.

And be sure to bring that extra battery (in fact, bring two!)

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    This page may help http://ropewiki.com/Canyoneering_apps

I personally use Locus but is only for Android. It's a powerful GPS app, maybe not the most user friendly (I think Gaia is the most user friendly one, but try them out and judge by yourself). Locus can do things other apps can't (so far). It can use raster maps or aerial views (like many others) but can also use high res vector topo maps. That's how I have CA, OR, WA, AZ, NV, CO, UT, Mexico always in my phone. For iPhone the only app I know that uses vector maps (which are compatible with Locus btw) is WikiLoc, it's ok for hikers, but as an offtrail GPS app is a bit limited.

But hey, there's lots of apps out there and they evolve continuosly... try some out and choose one you like.
    What I don't recommend is getting an actual GPS device. You can do a lot more with the phone. I have been using Garmin GPSs since 2000, I have bought 6 or 7 over the years, still have 3 in working condition... they are good, but a pain for getting maps and data transfers. Since 2014 I exclusively use the phone as a GPS device. I use it outdoor extensively, for caving and canyonering and in Search & Rescue missions.

Not all Android phones are equal. My old Samsung Galaxy SUCKED! With GPS the battery would drain in 1h. But most modern phones,like my 2 year old Sony Xperia Compact Z3, can track for 24h and still have 20% battery.

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Whoa, looks like I'm behind the times. My app is not as good as others mentioned on this thread. It was boss 5 years ago.

Curious @lucach @jman @Bo_Beck @burnsdye which cases do you use to protect your phones?

Blog Entries

Gps iPhone app

Mine is the LifeProof brand.

When you receive it, you will be thinking $80-$100 for a thin piece of plastic??
    Yup, and it works well.

I had a friend discount so it was a easier pill to swallow. And I wouldn't buy it retail. Amazon would have them for much cheaper...

There are other cases out there that provide the same protection, but look into warranties though. Just in the case the gasket fails. Hasn't yet in 4 years.......but...still....

And the one I have is just rated for 3.3ft in depth which is perfect for canyoneering. I've used the same case while traveling through Kolob, Imlay, Choprock, Eardley, Zero G, Mystery, Subway, and plenty of other Roost canyons and has held up good.

It's not invincible, of course. Common sense is required.

But it does survive 10ft jumps into potholes, backflips, etc. but it doesn't float.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

18. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I just recently got a Lifeproof case as well. The case is durable like the Otterbox cases however adds an element of being water and dust proof. I think it makes the screen a little less responsive than without the case but I guess nothing is perfect. There are two models the Fre which covers the entire phone including a screen protector over the screen. The Nuud model covers everything but the screen which in my opinion will put the phone more at risk of cracking the screen.

20. Likes Slot Machine, jman liked this post
    On my android I use Backpacker lite. Seems to work pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Gps iPhone app

For cases I have used the lifeproof fre. It's super durable but make sure the bottom port is closed or you will get water damage. ( don't ask how I know) Recently I got my phone waterproofed by iquerepair ( ique) .they have a machine that sprays a solution on your phone and makes it "waterproof" . I also installed one of those "shatterproof" screen protectors. next you just need any durable case. Personally just to be safe I put it in a ziplock bag(you can still use the phone when it's in the bag)

23. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Also lifeproof cases can be found on clearance sometimes at Walmart. also price match the phone I saved $30 with mine. Just so you know the warranty is amazing if the case breaks you can call for a free replacement one

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    After a rocky launch in 2012 as part of iOS 6, Apple continued to refine its Maps app until it became a worthy competitor of Google Maps on iOS devices. It ships as part of the operating system on iOS, so it's free and instantly available to users. The app's attractive design provides an intuitive user interface that guides drivers, walkers, and cyclists with turn-by-turn spoken directions. It provides an arrival time by factoring in real-time traffic information and the current speed limit. Commuters can access real-time transit information in many cities with live arrival and departure times of the user's bus or train. On flights, get indoor maps of airport terminals, including the locations of restaurants and restrooms. The app's Flyover Mode and 3D city views give a Google Earth-like experience: a 3D city image to explore virtually before a trip. Add favorites, favorite locations, and enjoy proactive suggestions.Precise is one of the most sought after JavaScript frontend systems for building dynamic web applications. After the primary rendition of a stage was dispatched in October 2010, almost 370,612 websites were created with its assistance, as detailed by AngularJS News. One more form of Angular programming, which was delivered in September, has welcomed on blended responses since the structure went through huge changes. However, regardless of how the Angular engineers take these alterations, they need to get acquainted with them, on the off chance that they actually need to utilize Angular web improvement for building web and versatile applications.The second significant variant of AngularJS web application advancement system focuses on slow transitioning from utilizing MVC (Model-View-Controller) programming configuration example and switching over to the tree-like part based architecture.Angular 2 is TypeScript-based, which doesn't mean, that JavaScript will not work with the new form, however with every one of its benefits TypeScript is viewed as truly helpful for developers.Unlike in AngularJS application improvement, here modules, parts and orders are announced by decorator capacities, like @NgModule, @Component, @Directive. Json is taken as a boundary for it.Using Ui-switch in Angular 2 can prompt bugs in the application. That is the reason, it is desirable over utilize the typical Angular 2 switch – @angular/switch that turns out great, still with certain subtleties. Courses are made by utilizing capacities RouterModule.forRoot (courses) when courses are a variety of items. There are two capacities forRoot and forChild in application and the first is obligatory.Besides, in the event that one makes a state with kid states, it naturally becomes dynamic. For delivering the state in the wake of getting information, a class should be written which will carry out an interface Resolve. In this class there should be a technique resolve, the strategy should return an Observable or Promise or any kind of information. In the event that the strategy returns Promise as a catch or bogus, the state won't be rendered.One must be mindful so as not to utilize basic HTTP, as might be presented by the IDE. It will not work, since the module has conditions associated with HttpModule (local HTTP module). To make demand headers, we can utilize a class RequestOptions. HTTP returns information in Observables and not in a Promises as Angular JS development.In the structure group's blog entry where they clarified the structure's forming framework, they additionally shared their arrangements for the system's delivery cycle, expressing that going ahead, they intend to deliver another significant variant of the structure, which carries with it significant changes to the structure, at regular intervals. As it was arranged, Angular 5 was delivered on October 23, 2017.The Angular 5 delivery date came only 7 months after the Angular 4 delivery date, which was in March 2017. This, thus, came a half year after the Angular 2 delivery date, which was in September 2016. The short stretches between these deliveries show the commitment of the structure's designers to their reported delivery model to help Angular engineers make some smoother memories keeping their applications refreshed with the system's most recent technologies.This new delivery model is as a distinct difference to the system's old delivery cycle, in which, for example, Angular 2 came 6 years after the Angular 1 delivery date (or, all the more properly, AngularJS delivery date) way back in October 2010. This represented a few troubles to AngularJS web improvement as it had an excessive number of changes to oblige and take on at the same time. With the more limited delivery cycles, they intend to smoothen out the transition and refreshing cycles of designers to try not to rehash a portion of the movement issues they recently confronted while moving from Angular JS to Angular 2, read more here https://mobilunity.com/blog/what-is-...js-developers/.Fortunately, the fourth form of this JS innovation is generally in reverse viable with the second one, which means Angular 2 applications will run with Angular 4 with insignificant, assuming any, changes. This is as opposed to Angular 2's incompatibility with the first form. By and by, the most recent adaptation of this innovation presented significant changes from Angular 2 that merited an increment in the significant variant number, so in the event that you intend to enlist Angularjs 2.0 engineer, investigate these differences.Angular proceeds with its dash of incredible works, Angular 5 is the most recent delivery from the line. This significant delivery includes various enormous fixes to the past variants just as new elements. With the arrival of the fifth variant, there is the addition of the Build Optimizer to the CLI, this was added with the objective of making your application groups more modest and quicker. With this delivery, Angular 5 designers are currently ready to handily share application states between the customer side and worker side of their undertaking applications with the Angular Universal State Transfer API and DOM Support. The Angular Compiler has additionally been worked on to help arrangement done in increases, which further develops creation works for Angular 5 developers.The Angular structure is seemingly among the greatest names in the JavaScript systems space, and the system's Angular JS web improvement group has committed to routinely delivering significant updates to the system in a 6-month cycle. The most recent form of the innovation has been as of late delivered, and assuming you need to further develop your web applications with this magnificent structure, you ought to consider employing oustaffing organization for them to track down a gifted Angular engineer for your undertaking. Fortunately, we have exactly what you need. Around here at Mobilunity, we house first rate committed Angular engineers for employ. Situated in Ukraine, in the core of Europe, our amazingly reasonable rates settle on us the most functional decision for recruiting devoted Angular designers across all of Europe.