Thread: Ouray, CO

Ouray, CO

Hey all, I will be heading to Ouray Colorado this summer and was wondering what trails come highly recommended in that area. We are traveling in a '13 Jeep Wrangler with 33's and a leveling kit, so we aren't planning on doing anything crazy or with extreme exposure. I have already picked out Yankee Boy Basin (found it on Traildamage.com), and it seems like that is the kind of speed we are looking for. Anyone have any other suggestions on other trails (or some feedback on Yankee) that are around the same technical difficulty?
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yankee Boy Basin is a good choice. Also Governor Basin and Imogene Basin in the same area. Further south off of Red Mountain Pass is Black Bear. Might be to much exposure for you on that one. Porphyry Basin south of Black Bear is a favorite of mine. Corkscrew Gulch is a good one too. Poughkeepsie Gulch is probably the most difficult trail in the San Juans.
    Really cant go wrong any where you go.

Thank you...yeah, Black Bear is supposedly pretty intense. Don't want the wife to freak out. LOL. Thanks for the other trail info, I will check those out too...
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

You have to do black bear. Go back on imogene. Not difficult just take your time on the switchback turns. Your jeep will handle that loop fine. Go later in the summer so snow isn't a problem. If telluride still holds their jeep jamboree in late July that's a great activity to attend. All the ones Old Jeepers listed are great but you've got to do Black Bear.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

6. Likes rich67 liked this post
    Nothing in that whole area will really challenge your jeep. You go for the unbelievable scenery.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Alpine Loop was fun. Last year we ran Imogene, Black Bear, and Poughkeepsie. None of them are super difficult. We lost the brakes on my wifes 4Runner at the top of Black Bear 2 years ago, and made it down fine. Just take your time. Worth doing at least once.

9. Likes rich67 liked this post