Thread: Help Me Help A Friend

Help Me Help A Friend

Hey Folks,

I've got a buddy who is paraplegic that enjoys photography and the outdoors. We were having lunch today and I showed him some of my very amateur photos from some of my canyoneering, backpacking and mountain bike trips to western Colorado and eastern Utah. He has never been to the Colorado Plateau and was blown away by the beauty of the geology. We put a preliminary plan together for him to join some of the crew for a trip to Utah (we're over here in Colorado Springs, CO) so he can see the sights and take some photos. He is a very active sole (he was at the climbing gym last night) and is game for going off road with his wheel chair with help from the crew.

Here is where the help comes in--you guessed it, suggested destinations. Of course things like Arches National Park could work. I'd also like to take him a little further off the beaten path. For example, roaming around the basin in Goblin Valley or checking out Muscleman Arch off the White Rim Road.

Thanks for the help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's not the right time of year, but if I had a friend in a similar situation I'd sign him up for a river trip. Cateract Canyon and Desolation Canyon are two rafting trips I've done and really enjoyed. And best of all you really don't need legs to do either :-)

Bogley BigShot
    I wish I could help, but I have no reference to that part of the world.

Had lunch again with my friend and I mentioned Shane's idea. That led us to discussing maybe doing a flat water trip or maybe an ATV trip. He is pretty excited to get out and see the sights firsthand. The guy is very inspirational. He was born in Korea and contracted Polio as a child. His parents put him up for adoption and he was adopted by a family in the US. He graduated from college and took a job at Notre Dame for 5 years and now works for the University of Colorado. Sometimes I catch myself wrapped up in nonsense about work or some other B.S. and gain valuable perspective on life spending time with him. Not just because of the gratitude I have for being able to use my legs but because I get to see the world through his eyes--he is very positive, constructive and optimistic.

6. Likes jman liked this post
    I really don't think you would need to restrict a rafting trip to flat water. If you go commercial most of them run the big J-rigs (or S-rigs) which seldom have issues. I just do a little rafting now and again so I'm not an expert. I'd call one of the bigger rafting companies like Western River Expeditions and talk with them, get their thoughts, and see what they suggest.

The ATV trips also sound like a good idea.